A shootout between the Susvara and the Arya
Jan 31, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #46 of 90
Highly depends what you are after and highly depends on what you are running the Susvara off of. Arya is so much easier to drive to see its potential whereas the Susvara requires so much more to show its true capabilities. The transparency, accuracy, holography, tactility, transient response are better on the Susvara. The Arya is a more “fun” tuning with more bass emphasis, but also more treble emphasis. To some, that’s exactly what they want. Great! You’ll save yourself a ton of money in the long run. To me, the Arya is quite impressive, does a lot right, and is fantastic for the price, but not in the same league as the Susvara.

Again, though, that’s only if the Susvara is paired with a proper chain.
I listen to classical music, so my impressions may not be relevant to many. However, I find the Arya more convincing with acoustic instruments - it projects a more convincing performance space and instruments have more natural timbre. The Susvara is more 'synthetic' to my ear.

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #47 of 90
Highly depends what you are after and highly depends on what you are running the Susvara off of. Arya is so much easier to drive to see its potential whereas the Susvara requires so much more to show its true capabilities. The transparency, accuracy, holography, tactility, transient response are better on the Susvara. The Arya is a more “fun” tuning with more bass emphasis, but also more treble emphasis. To some, that’s exactly what they want. Great! You’ll save yourself a ton of money in the long run. To me, the Arya is quite impressive, does a lot right, and is fantastic for the price, but not in the same league as the Susvara.

Again, though, that’s only if the Susvara is paired with a proper chain.
True cost of owning the Susvara is a lot higher than just price of the amp. You must also be careful of Quality problems as well. It can costs upwards of 10k+ USD for a proper chain while Arya doesn’t require you to keep finding new amps.

For some rich people 10-20K USD total cost may not be a problem, but for most of us it’s not worth it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #48 of 90
I listen to classical music, so my impressions may not be relevant to many. However, I find the Arya more convincing with acoustic instruments - it projects a more convincing performance space and instruments have more natural timbre. The Susvara is more 'synthetic' to my ear.

One of the great things about the Arya is the big, big soundstage. Susvara is just a little bit smaller, however accuracy within that sound stage is more precise, at least from my findings.

Also, from my experience I’d say it’s going to really depend on what you’re running the Susvara off of. Off a solid state amp, that’s going to be more of a true statement, but oh my goodness, put the Susvara on a proper tube amp and instruments really come to life. There’s more texture to the instruements and vocals that are more palpable than just about anything I’ve ever heard.

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #49 of 90
True cost of owning the Susvara is a lot higher than just price of the amp. It can costs upwards of 10k+ USD for a proper chain while Arya doesn’t require you to keep finding new amps.

For some rich people 10-20K USD total cost may not be a problem, but for most of us it’s not worth it.

100% agree. It’s not for the faint of heart, for sure. Arya, again, is fantastic for its price and certainly can (and should) be people’s summit. Diminishing returns is absolutely at play here.

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #50 of 90
One of the great things about the Arya is the big, big soundstage. Susvara is just a little bit smaller, however accuracy within that sound stage is more precise, at least from my findings.

I can come up with a combination of amps and tube that puts Susvara's soundstage larger than Arya Organic and HE1000SE. Forge with Sylvania 6SN7GTB is incredibly wide and cathedral sounding on all directions but at the cost of slightly distant mid presence

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #51 of 90
I can come up with a combination of amps and tube that puts Susvara's soundstage larger than Arya Organic and HE1000SE. Forge with Sylvania 6SN7GTB is incredibly wide and cathedral sounding on all directions but at the cost of slightly distant mid presence

Oh, that’s true. The Susvara CAN sound absolutely massive, as I am finding with the WA23! But, to their point, getting the Arya and HE1K there is much, much easier (and cheaper)!

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #52 of 90
Oh, that’s true. The Susvara CAN sound absolutely massive, as I am finding with the WA23! But, to their point, getting the Arya and HE1K there is much, much easier (and cheaper)!

While waiting for a big funds for a properly equipped Susvara amp (especially in the freight train bass that only top end Susvara amps can muster), I can play around the imaging, mids and treble with driver tube rolling. So far, I've discovered two great tubes that I can roll that has perfect balance of imaging, PRaT and 3D holographic soundstage with the Forge (Hytron 6SN7GTB and Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY round plates). I tend to use Sylvania if I want to experience Cathedral hall listening from time to time.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #53 of 90

Also, from my experience I’d say it’s going to really depend on what you’re running the Susvara off of. Off a solid state amp, that’s going to be more of a true statement, but oh my goodness, put the Susvara on a proper tube amp and instruments really come to life. There’s more texture to the instruements and vocals that are more palpable than just about anything I’ve ever heard.
I've no doubt that's how you hear it. That's not how everyone hears it. I find the Susvara problematic in a number of respects - in particular, I find it lacks energy through the mid-frequency presence band - too 'polite' to convince. Re amps, I preferred the Moon 430HA generally. I'm not convinced there was anything more to be had with other amps - in particular, I'm no fan of valves - with the Susvara or anything else.

I should add - I think the Susvara is very good indeed - just not as good as some others.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #54 of 90
My experience also.
I only had DAC with a weak amp, and did not know about the amp madness…

Arya is not even worth mentioning in the same sentence wit Susvara today.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #55 of 90
I've no doubt that's how you hear it. That's not how everyone hears it. I find the Susvara problematic in a number of respects - in particular, I find it lacks energy through the mid-frequency presence band - too 'polite' to convince. Re amps, I preferred the Moon 430HA generally. I'm not convinced there was anything more to be had with other amps - in particular, I'm no fan of valves - with the Susvara or anything else.

I should add - I think the Susvara is very good indeed - just not as good as some others.

If you're trying to fix Susvara's mid-frequency presence with SS amps then I agree it's not the right headphone for you. IME, Susvara is more suited to have a tube in its chain (hybrid amps or SET amps work well) to tweak its sound to perfection in general unless you're satisfied with the way it sounds with SS amps. Then again, Susvara might seem not that picky regarding amps at first since even just Schiit Midgard it can sound decently good but if you don't want to go with endless rabbit holes for Susvara, just get another headphone that's incredibly very amp friendly

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #56 of 90
My experience also.

Get a Schiit Mjolnir 3 at minimum and I bet you'll change your opinion about Susvara.

I've had a loaner of Arya Organic and Susvara just right after CanJam SoCal and Susvara is still much more refined and digs deeper in the music than Arya Organic which sounds simple and less realistic to my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #57 of 90
Get a Schiit Mjolnir 3 at minimum and I bet you'll change your opinion about Susvara.

I've had a loaner of Arya Organic and Susvara just right after CanJam SoCal and Susvara is still much more refined and digs deeper in the music than Arya Organic which sounds simple and less realistic to my ears.
I'm afraid I've heard it all before - not convinced.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #59 of 90
I'm afraid I've heard it all before - not convinced.

Which is totally fine. The great thing about this hobby is there is practically something for everyone. Susvara didn’t wow me for vocals either, until I put it on tubes. I even sold my first pair because I was a bit disappointed.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #60 of 90
Which is totally fine. The great thing about this hobby is there is practically something for everyone. Susvara didn’t wow me for vocals either, until I put it on tubes. I even sold my first pair because I was a bit disappointed.
While other people buy different headphones for new sound signatures, people with Susvara buy new amplifiers or tubes to get the same variety of sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back