A Sensational, Fantastic, And Simply Amazing New Binaural Album By Chesky!
Jun 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 148
Quote:

This isn't going to be #1 (or even #100,000) on Billboard or iTunes, guys. Ultimately, over the life of the album, sales of this type of thing are usually very limited. Chesky hires engineers, equipment, rents musical instruments that may be needed (which they rented quite a lot of for Explorations), hires the musicians, consults with experts in 3D audio, rents out the venues (and the recording sessions typically span days), and incurs the day-to-day costs associated with being a business. And then, if all goes well, there's hopefully some profit at some point--no venture can continue without it; no more albums of this type can be made without at least some reasonable hope of it.

Albums like this are obviously part of a very niche, very specialty market right now, and will likely be so for a long time to come (and may remain so forever). This is high-resolution, binaurally recorded music, and most of the folks who care to buy an album like this one are people like us, and we're not exactly the broader market. And, to the best of my knowledge, nobody is putting more effort and passion into it than Chesky.

Well, to be honest while I think binaural stuff is really cool, it doesn't strike me as the way all music should be recorded or something like that.  I'm not against it and I think I could find a lot of enjoyment in it.  I don't think he's like trying to make millions.  I realize the sales are limited.  The sales are also limited with many, MANY bands that I listen to, and they still charge no more than 20$ for vinyl, and you get whatever format you desire (some including 24bit) as many times as you want once you've bought the album.  

I understand it's quite the investment, and I realize it's niche but then why is the 16/44 only 12$?  It's a little weird that's all.  Make it all a flat high price if it was really that expensive.  Making the higher bitrates cost so much just seems to be kind of a downer for the audio community.  Anyway when you are charging 25 for pure digital that's when you're getting into gimmick territory if you ask me.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #17 of 148
If you want to try some binaural recordings for free, sign up for a trial membership at the Bowers and Wilkins Society of Sound.  They have three separate binaural albums and you can download one sample song from each at no cost.

That way you can check it out the recording technique and sound before you commit to a purchase on the Chesky site.

To be honest, I wasn't crazy about any of the selections they offered for popular music (as opposed to classical), but we all have different taste in music so it might float your boat.

It was fun listening to the binaural recordings on headphones.

I presume the Chesky recordings are higher quality but its free to try at B&W....

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Society_of_Sound/Overview.html

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 148
I listened to this album, and picked it up in 24bit 96khz, and it sounds great!
It really makes me want to hear more.. =)

Keep up the good work guys!
Binaural is great stuff!

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 148
Okay guys, has anyone run into this problem with this album like I did? I purchased the binaural album about a week ago actually, the 96/24 version. It was great, as many others have pointed out, but there were 4 track files that were heavily distorted and caused severe playback errors. They were track 10, 14, 15, and 26, to be specific. The remaining 22 songs all played OK without any issues. I addressed this problem to HDTracks, and they sent me those 4 tracks for me to download again, but the problem still persisted with those tracks. So I emailed HDTracks again, telling them that the problem isn't fixed, and later they replied that they too found out the problem, but were simply "waiting for instructions." I haven't heard from them since.

Am I the only one who noticed this? Did anyone else have problem with the 96/24 version of the above-mentioned 4 tracks? Since the rest of the 22 tracks play fine in my system, I'm pretty sure something's wrong with those specific tracks. I hope HDTracks does something fast to fix this, before more unaware buyers purchase the album to find out some of the files are messed up.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 148
Thanks for a heads up on a method that I can use for new material.  Roland Corporation's Cakewalk® software division has applications for Microsoft® Windows® 6-up that are compatible with binaural recording techniques, provided that the correct hardware is used in the recording; SONAR™ X™ would come to mind for pros and prosumers alike, but even Music Creator™ 5 (probably 6 as well) will record parallel audio streams as one track with a stereo or binaural source (e.g., through the stereo Mic In of the XONAR® Essence™ STX in my Asus® CM1630-06).  Once I have a headset worthy of the XONAR's® internal headphone amplifier, I should be able to hear any issue in the tracks that I lay down.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 148
Anyone find the binaural severely lacking in this album?  Not sure if it is this particular recording, or this new "Binaural+" headphone/speaker technique, but the spatial positioning is simply 90% not there.  I bought Chesky's first binaural album (the percussion one) back when that was first released, and it had an incredible feel of being in the room with the musicians, truly amazing.  This one, on the other hand, simply sounds like very good stereo, but still with a side/side image only. 

Am I the only one disappointed with this?  Am I the only one experiencing this!? 

Don't get me wrong, the music is just as well recorded as always from Chesky, I'm just not getting the desired effect here.  I do enjoy the various tunes, though! 

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #22 of 148
Quote:
Anyone find the binaural severely lacking in this album?  Not sure if it is this particular recording, or this new "Binaural+" headphone/speaker technique, but the spatial positioning is simply 90% not there.  I bought Chesky's first binaural album (the percussion one) back when that was first released, and it had an incredible feel of being in the room with the musicians, truly amazing.  This one, on the other hand, simply sounds like very good stereo, but still with a side/side image only. 

Am I the only one disappointed with this?  Am I the only one experiencing this!? 

Don't get me wrong, the music is just as well recorded as always from Chesky, I'm just not getting the desired effect here.  I do enjoy the various tunes, though! 

me as well.
made mention in my review on page one. 
i think the binaural plus processing might have been too good to be true.
sorry, dr. chesky.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #23 of 148
It's absolutely wonderful on my system, the illusion is very effective, giving a very solid sense of instrumental placement, well beyond a typical stereo soundfield. I'm not sure this could be achieved in a normal stereo recording. Cut three, "Phrases" is an excellent example; its rendering is one of the best examples of binaural recordings I've personally heard, followed by "PermaFunk" which makes me wonder what could have been achieved with the direct to disc versions of "Tower of Power" releases by Sheffield Labs. Very well done Chesky!    
Quote:

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #24 of 148
Hi guys,

I downloaded this album my connection got interrupted four times during download,the download manager said its was complete but the audio folders are empty but I have album artwork.

Tried to email hdtracks but have not had reply yet do you know if I can redownload them again? because this must be some sort of error because I don't fancy paying $18 for nothing.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #28 of 148
All these recordings are efforts in a similar vein, and expectations abound. However, I'm going in the opposite direction of your assessment, and believe the binaural effect is as pronounced as I've heard, but different. Maybe "refined" is a better adjective. Chesky's first collaboration with Head-Fi was a good one too, in my estimation. Was it better? I'd say it was one step in the binaural evolution. Is this version better than the first? I'd say it excels in some areas, and is similar to the first in others. Overall, I'd say it's an improvement.

Musically, it is more diverse, although I really enjoyed the first album, especially if taken as a whole; for me it was more akin to a classical piece of music. I don't mind the test tracks either, and I'm going to have some fun with them on a truly big-rig, reference system as soon as I can get over to my buddy's house!

Space? It's not so accented on my system as to be out of place. None of the Chesky recordings are in my system. In fact, I find it nicely balanced. It's certainly no worse than minimally mic'd stereo efforts like the FIM release of Propius "Contate Domino," or Opus 3 "GITARR-KVARTETTEN TRANSCRIPTIONS," (if you're lucky enough to have one). In their day, these were about as binaural as they could be. If anything, the focus on capturing the spacial characteristics of the recorded venue enhance the musical experience because they help us become experientially place-based. If you've ever been in a large cathedral or church hall setting, one of the immediate experiences is hearing our own voice echoing off distant walls. We usually wait for it it end. 

"Permafunk" transported me back to my Sheffield Lab, "Tower of Power" days, considering what might have been possible if they could have recorded binaurally. At least on my system "Permafunk" is clear, distinct, and enveloping. Nothing confusing whatsoever! In fact, one of the draws for me with well recorded binaural music, is how distinct everything remains. Instruments hang separately, pinpoint from one another. I'm actually drawn into the music. At least that's what I'm hearing through my system.   

Quote:
i'm sure no one cares a hill of beans about my unsolicited opinion.
but, since this is head-fi, i'll gladly share it.

i was very jazzed about the album when i saw it featured on Inner Fidelity.
and bought it straight away in 24/96.

however, as was mentioned in an earlier post, the binaural effect on this recording is quite subdued.
actually, disappointingly subdued, if i'm being honest.

also, there are quite a number of test tracks at the end of the record which are only of passing interest, and only bear replay when a new piece of equipment needs to be put through the paces.

and, as far as the musical content, i have to say it feels pretty light weight. 

a very safe sounding reading of a classical piece here, a doe-eyed folk song there.  a stilted rock performance here, an exotic stringed instrument work-out there...  it's all very fine and pitch perfect, but i found it a bit on the boring side.

My biggest overarching criticism of the record, however, is one of my criticisms of quite a number of Chesky's recordings - he spends too much effort recording the space, and not enough effort on the performance.

The egalitarian treatment of each performance on this recording - AKA "stick 'em in a church and let's hear those darn reverb trails" - is unsuccessful more often than not here.
While the opening track, Storms are on the Ocean, benefits from the recording space, other tracks like "Binocerous" or "Pamafunk" become a bit of a mess.  Not literally, as the sound is quite pristine, but the acoustic setting is strangely antithetical to the musical content.

I am and will continue to be a happy supporter of interesting music.  And am a voracious consumer of music - laying my wallet gladly at the altar of HDTracks and other marketplaces. 
But, as much as i wish everyone would support Chesky and other leaders in our hobby, i can't recommend this record.

Instead, get "Explorations in Space and Time", and then patiently wait for Chesky's next single-artist recording... 
Let's hope it's a good one...

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #29 of 148
Quote:
Not really a fan of their pricing method.  Why not just have one flat price for all quality levels?  It's not like it takes much to change the quality level of a file.  Not only that it has all sorts of implications about the quality of a file compared to the value of the actual music.

25$ is too much for a digital album.  I don't care about the quality level or what tech you used to record it.  Not only that, if the master tape was already there to begin with, why are you charging extra just to let others hear it?  It's kinda silly if you ask me.  Seems like another way to take advantage of the audio enthusiast market.

Anyway sorry to bash without actually listening or commenting on the music.  That's just my first impression.  If they weren't trying to break my wallet just because many people who love audio are willing to pay extra for it, I'd actually be pretty into this.  Even if a vinyl ends up being 25 I get pretty sad about paying for it, but at least then I get the huge art.

10$ for 16/44 is average though I'll admit.  Just seems a little strange that the other stuff costs extra :)

Quote:

Well, to be honest while I think binaural stuff is really cool, it doesn't strike me as the way all music should be recorded or something like that.  I'm not against it and I think I could find a lot of enjoyment in it.  I don't think he's like trying to make millions.  I realize the sales are limited.  The sales are also limited with many, MANY bands that I listen to, and they still charge no more than 20$ for vinyl, and you get whatever format you desire (some including 24bit) as many times as you want once you've bought the album.  

I understand it's quite the investment, and I realize it's niche but then why is the 16/44 only 12$?  It's a little weird that's all.  Make it all a flat high price if it was really that expensive.  Making the higher bitrates cost so much just seems to be kind of a downer for the audio community.  Anyway when you are charging 25 for pure digital that's when you're getting into gimmick territory if you ask me.

I have mixed feelings about the pricing model of HDTracks, but generally the pricing model isn't unlike CDs and SACDs.  $11 may be more than an MP3 download from iTunes, but it's the same or cheaper than most physical CDs for 16/44.1.   Most things above that and up to 24/96 seem to be $15-18.   The $15 I can accept, the $18 pushes it a little for some of the content.  But you are talking about digital downloads representing up to a little over a gig a piece.  That takes money to store and transmit.  The only one that's extraordinary is the $25 for the 24/192 stuff, but considering what you're buying is effectively the master one must ask why anyone feels they need to own the master to begin with.  Do you plan on editing it?  Running it through heavy DSP?  If so, the master is good to have, and $25 is probably a fair value for that.  For the rest of us, why do we need a 2GB+ master of any recording?  I dare any ABX test to reveal better SQ from it unless it's going through extreme DSP. You're also paying for risk assessment, with what is likely the master in tow, it's just screaming to be bootlegged.  I can see why storing/sending a 2GB file would cost a lot more on their end than storing and sending a 400mb file. More than double the price?  Maybe not, but, honestly, who buys the 192 version?  It would clog my server bandwidth  just playing the darned thing.
tongue.gif
  The offering of 192 is probably more gimmicky than the price of it.

Price aside I'm looking forward to a brighter future in binaural recording.  I've always loved the effects of it, and there's just not enough of it around.  That's the key factor that keeps headphones and even speakers from sounding real: mono-directional recording. I commented in another thread relating to headphone prices that headphones are well past pushing the limits of what current recording can do, we need new recording tech for headphones to go anywhere at this point.  And this tech(nique) is just what the doctor (Cheskey) ordered!

For the few people that commented on not hearing the binaural effect, which headphones were you using?  It's long been said that binaural works best on very flat headhones, not colored ones.  I'd think this would work best on things like ER4, K70x, HD800, HE-6, etc.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #30 of 148
Quote:

See, I was afraid of this. Why not just have the "soundfield" tracks and the "binaural" tracks separate like in Explorations? I'll probably buy this anyway since it would be nice to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back