A Recommendation for Best Headphones for Use With Frequencies
Dec 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JeffreyF

New Head-Fier
I have somewhat of an odd request and am hoping for recommendations and guidance. I am looking forover-the-ear headphones that will be used for listening to frequencies.

When I say frequency it is literally a frequency at a specific octave. The frequency will change depending on the application.

For a sample of a frequency you can download one at http://www.mediafire.com/?0lc7o523i2sytsm

The criteria I am looking for is as follows:

1. No distortion of sound. The sound must be as pure as possible
2. Headphone range ideally has 5 Hz to 35 Hz (or wider)
3. Must be extremely comfortable as listening will be for hours at a time
4. Materials are good for sensitive skin
5. Listening will occur either on a computer or smartphone (Blackberry, Android, iPhone)
6. Open to budget

A big thank you in advance for your insights and recommendations.

Jeffrey

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Might I ask why you are in need of a low frequency generator? If it's only needed for the bass, the Hifiman HE-400 has some very low measured distortion in that regard (looks like 0.3%). Fairly sensitive. Unfortunately, having never actually heard it, I can't tell you about things like comfort, or how the distortion above 200Hz pans out firsthand. Costs $400 USD.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Briskly, thanks for the reply. To clarify, I am not in the need for a low frequency generator. I am looking for recommendations on headphones that are best suited to listening to frequencies. Appreciate your suggestion.

Would very much appreciate hearing from those who can speak to both sound and comfort from personal experience.

Best,

Jeffrey

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Does it have to be neutral as well? If yes it's almost like asking for an ideal headphone. The HD650 has the best THD measurement I've seen in the mids and treble but a high distortion below 70Hz. The HE-400 could be a good compromise for better extension but with a higher but acceptable THD throughout the range..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back