A reccurent hassle: cable faulty connection
Jan 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Camomille

New Head-Fier
Ever since I bought my first cans almost 5 years ago, I've had the same issue, again and again, and I'm absolutely fed up with it. Every, everytime, a faulty connection would appear on the "jack" end of the cable. As a result, only one earcup would be supplied with electricity, only one would play the music. If I bend the jack end on the side, the sound comes back, and then stops again.
I first began with the panasonic rp-htx7 that I had to replace every 5 month because the faulty connection would come back again.
Then I switched to the Sennheiser HD380 Pro, craving for more quality and a longer "life span" of the wire. Unfortunatly, I couldn't get rid of the problem. I've changed the cable (exchangeable) 2 times already (40 euros each time...), and today, my third cable just passed away without any reason. I bought it 2 months ago, I'm shocked and really pissed. It had no reason to break, especially since I've always treated my cans very well. Now, changing the wire 3 times cost me more than buying the same cans, brand new. Absurd, you said?
I listen to a lot of music (5 hours minimum a day), but aren't those headphones (especially the senn, ironically called "pro" ahah) meant to last longer than 5 months max? Has anyone experienced this? Is it interrelated to "one wire" cans only (I mean by that, cans that are supplied from only one ear cup)?
Am I the only one in this situation? Would you recommend me reliable pairs of "over ears closed cans" that will last longer than 4 months?

Thank you, I'm waiting for your feedbacks now.

Camomille

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 7
If the cables always break in the same place, I would say it's due to either the way you wear the headphones (and how they tug and pull through regular movement) and/or how you coil or hang your cables when not in use. Even if you are careful, turning or twisting or tugging on a certain spot in the wire consistently will eventually break it.

You might want to consider making your own cables and/or getting thicker ones with better strain reliefs. Or maybe explore wireless options.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 7
Well I've been thinking about my involvement in this issue, but I really can't see where it can come from. When I don't use it, I always make sure that I put no strain on the jack. When I use it, I make sure that the weight of the cable (it's rolled) doesn't bend it. I take all the precautions. Maybe I bend it a little bit while I'm walking (it's in the front pocket of my coat) but I don't really think that can explain the recurring and extremely quick phenomena torturing me. How come it doesn't last longer, a thick brand new cable worked 5 weeks!! The original cable has a good strain reliefs, to me:

http://www.son-video.com/images/dynamic/Casque/articles/Sennheiser/SENNHD380PRO/Sennheiser-HD-380-Pro_A1_900.jpg

I have no idea how to make my own cable. If anyone knows! Maybe I could buy some custom-built? Besides, I don't consider buying wireless. Too much annoyances with the batteries you have to change every week...

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 7
It's hard to say for certain... it's possibly that maybe it's bending in your coat somehow. Or you might just have phenomenally bad luck. I still say consider a wireless option. Some headphones will have a charging cradle, and for the ones with batteries even investing in a decent set of rechargeables plus charger is going to be cheaper than replacing the cable all the time.

As for making your own cables, You just need to buy some wire, the proper connector ends, and a soldering iron. There are threads floating around the DIY forum that you can take a look at.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello,

Yeah, I guess I'm the only responsible... I just can't believe It's possible to be that unlucky. The cable I have is kind of "rolled" (see the picture), so it makes even more weight that bends the jack. I have to find a solution such as putting this "rolled end cable" in my pocket so that the jack doesn't have to deal with the strain.
I wish I could make my own cable, but it seems complicated (I just saw some pictures on the DIY sections). Besides, you have to make sure you're getting good quality wires, and to know where to buy it! Online, maybe?
I'm still a little outraged about this short life-span default cable. Shouldn't happen with expensive cans. I hope it's not going to happen with my HD650. How long do your cable last, usually?

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I haven't really had any cables break on my yet.

Making your own isn't that bad. A lot of the ones you see in the DIY forum are rather fancy. At the most basic, it's nothing more than a 3 conductor wire (or 2 conductor plus metal shield) and the appropriate connectors. It's quite literally $5 worth of materials, maybe $10 if you get nicer stuff. Slip the connector ends on the wire, solder the appropriate bits, repeat for the other side, done! The fancier stuff is when you start sleeving and doing special shielding, etc.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for your help and advices Armaegis, I'll consider making my own cables when i have the courage... soon!
normal_smile%20.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back