A Ranking List of phones that can match or exceed the DT770 pro 80ohm BASS DEPTH, QUANTITY and QUALITY, up to $1200 ???
Jan 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Exit Pupil

100+ Head-Fier
i'd like to get a ranking or list going from users experience of the much higher quality bass monster / lower frequency biased headphones, so i can do some research on them and possibly make another purchase.

i am really enjoying the dt770 pro 80 headphones, especially amplified by my old x-can v3. its made me realise what i was missing when listening to my hd650. i simply cant believe that some people regard the 650 as having heavy/strong bass. the 770 is harder to drive than i thought.

i realise there are phones that have sharper and more impactful bass than the dt770, but i'm definitely after that similar, or greater, depth and volume of bass in the general mix. that deep tight bass that can almost induce nausea when it should, like some live performances can. i'm totally uninterested in phones which have 'superb' bass control, speed, attack but not the massive weight and scale and sheer depth that i'm after.

any comments on the sensitivity/ease of drving phones on the list would be really appreciated. i'm looking at any price up to around 1200 bucks atm...but would rather spend less if possible
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers all

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 57
Just get yourself a nice speaker set with a Velodyne 12" sub. Seriously. Sub bass coming out of speakers is a lot more satisfying to me personally.

If you are not happy with 770s bass then just forget it and start thinking about speakers
smily_headphones1.gif
Thats my theory anyway.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that deep tight bass that can almost induce nausea when it should, like some live performances can.

I don't think headphones can do that. Maybe Grado PS1?

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think headphones can do that. Maybe Grado PS1?

Gonna have to agree on this one. No headphones I know of can induce nausea lol.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 57
You aren't gonna find headphones that produce bass much deeper than the DT-770 at any price range. Bassier headphones, yes, but not much deeper.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You aren't gonna find headphones that produce bass much deeper than the DT-770 at any price range. Bassier headphones, yes, but not much deeper.

...i was wondering if this was going to be the case.

just a note - on some tracks the dt770 pro80 can dig so deeply, cleanly and obscenely enough to induce minor nausea. the only phones i have ever heard that can do this. palpitations in the chest type bass, like some rare high quality live bass gigs. i really didn't think any headphones could do this at all untill i heard the 770 80 so it has come as something of a revelation and i'm excited about it. thats why i was wondering if there were others with similar or better ability in this area.

surely there must be some other contenders??

a subwoofer is too antisocial and unsuitable for my purposes.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 57
i believe the dt770pro has the most bass quantity and quality except for the PS-1... but if you ask me, i'd stick with the dt-770pro and use an equalizer

i used to love that "nausea" feeling too, but i learned that headphones will never give me that chest-thumping bass that speakers can. so i sold my dt770 for a d2000 and bought speakers

lol

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 57
If you want truly powerful bass, you have to go for speakers, no headphone can reproduce the physical presence of the lower frequencies...the dt770 you have are amongst the bassiest headphones in production...i have the dt-990 which are said to have a more controller bass, and it's still quite overbearing for my tastes...

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 57
ultrasone Pro900's have more/deeper bass than the DT770 pros. however, i do agree with those who've suggested that you'd be better off in the speaker realm.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get speakers or run the headphones of your choice with a subwoofer.

That is what I do. Since I switch cans a lot I have my sound system on in the background. That way when I am turning down my headphone amp to change cans the sound doesn't stop.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 57
My Denon AHD 5000's have a much "Meatier" bass that my DT990's had but better overall quality. but the kind of bass you're looking for realy only lives in speakers. Headphones just can't move the same amount of air as speakers. Besides at the decible levels most 'Sub-Bass" advocates like, you'll be deaf in 5 years anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back