A Question to K1000 Owners
Mar 7, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the HD600 to be more true to life than the K1000 which is artificially sterilised for extensive detail.

I'd be inclined to blame this on the recordings rather than the headphones. Perhaps they focused too much on the close mic tracks. I find it hard to believe that you'd prefer the HD600s to the K1000s if listening to binural recordings.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be inclined to blame this on the recordings rather than the headphones. Perhaps they focused too much on the close mic tracks. I find it hard to believe that you'd prefer the HD600s to the K1000s if listening to binural recordings.

Balanced out of a beta22, it sounds better. A lot of DG recordings on classical music. The K1000 is sterile and lifeless to me. The HD600 is full and engaging. It is reminiscent of the sound at the concert hall.

I've recently seen the VPO play Bruckner's 9th and I can say that the HD600 represents the true sound very well. The K1000 sound as I remember is very thin. Despite it's amazing clarity and detail, it doesn't sound like real life.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Balanced out of a beta22, it sounds better. A lot of DG recordings on classical music. The K1000 is sterile and lifeless to me. The HD600 is full and engaging. It is reminiscent of the sound at the concert hall.

I've recently seen the VPO play Bruckner's 9th and I can say that the HD600 represents the true sound very well. The K1000 sound as I remember is very thin. Despite it's amazing clarity and detail, it doesn't sound like real life.

Having heard the K-1000 in many different set ups, I can say they simply reveal the system that they are played through.

The HD600s are veiled and boring or uninvolving to these ears and are not even on the same level. BTW, I have the HD600 with Cardas. I'm a fan of that headphone, but in comparison... they suffer.

I guess we will just agree to disagree in a big way on this one. The K-1000s really need a speaker amp to shine while the B22 is very adequate for the HD600s. The K's can also sound thin if you angle them out too much to try and get a huge sound stage. I only put them 3/4 of an inch from the cage, and they are very balanced sounding.

Another thing is that DG recordings are usually bright and etched sounding (at least most of the ones I have), so you might be getting a true view of what's on the recording where the HD600s gloss over or veil the uglies in recordings. I actually used the HD600 for bad recording for awhile to avoid the nastiness of them.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess we will just agree to disagree in a big way on this one. The K-1000s really need a speaker amp to shine while the B22 is very adequate for the HD600s. The K's can also sound thin if you angle them out too much to try and get a huge sound stage. I only put them 3/4 of an inch from the cage, and they are very balanced sounding.

I find the K1000 to really shine as well. Certainly not lifeless, sterile, thin, ...
But as mentioned the amplifier make a total difference, and so does the amount you swivel them out.

Perfectly fine to disagree though!
smile.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the amplifier make a total difference

Limited experience, but I would definitley concur.

I've my K1K mainly on two amps, both integrated (Acurus DIA 100 and Norh 9); one pushing 100 Watts (ss) while the other pushes 9 (I believe), and the differences were quite noticeable. I would have thought the 100 watt solid state would push it better, but it turns out the lower wattage tubed amp is more enjoyable to my ears.

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #22 of 54
^ Possibly!
Or you simply have different taste, preference, reference point, .. than us.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #23 of 54
It is difficult to upgrade from the K-1000. Like a few others have mentioned, I've gone to loudspeakers. I think I'm done with new headphones - the HD-800 and PS-1000 don't interest me. There are rumors of other new models coming along, so I assume that AKG and Beyerdynamic might be rolling out new models. Beyerdynamic always seems to offer excellent value for the money so I would take a close look at anything they offer. If AKG resurrects the K-1000 (it's happened before) or introduces another K-1000 style headphone, I'd likely buy it. That is, as long as it doesn't sound like a K-701.

Other than those possibilities, I plan to pick up the OII one of these days for an electrostat setup.

However, I'm looking towards speaker-fi from now on. The prices of the new headphones has demolished the value proposition of Head-Fi. The economy has pushed the prices of used speakers downward. Why spend $1,400 on a HD-800 when I can get a used Magnepan 1.6QR for a little over $1,000? I also want to try out the Klipsch LaScala. Those can be had for less than a PS-1000. And I just paid $650 for a pair of Quad ESL-63s, which I've always wanted.

So, for the same or less than these new headphones, I can try out all the speakers I've always wanted. Why would anyone spend more money for something that doesn't deliver anywhere as much bass or a realistic soundstage?

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would anyone spend more money for something that doesn't deliver anywhere as much bass or a realistic soundstage?

Those people who want to enjoy music at maximum but the environment restricts (neighbours, family) the volume. And some like the intimate closeness of the sound.

New headphone stuff is expensive and for some reason you compare it to used speaker stuff. Of course a used pair of speakers might beat a new pair of headphones in price/quality scale.

But otherwise I see your point. Speakers are just so rich and playful of music.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

It is difficult to upgrade from the K-1000. Like a few others have mentioned, I've gone to loudspeakers. I think I'm done with new headphones - the HD-800 and PS-1000 don't interest me. There are rumors of other new models coming along, so I assume that AKG and Beyerdynamic might be rolling out new models. Beyerdynamic always seems to offer excellent value for the money so I would take a close look at anything they offer. If AKG resurrects the K-1000 (it's happened before) or introduces another K-1000 style headphone, I'd likely buy it. That is, as long as it doesn't sound like a K-701.

Other than those possibilities, I plan to pick up the OII one of these days for an electrostat setup.

However, I'm looking toward speaker-fi from now on. The prices of the new headphones has demolished the value proposition of Head-Fi. The economy has pushed the prices of used speakers downward. Why spend $1,400 on a HD-800 when I can get a used Magnepan 1.6QR for a little over $1,000? I also want to try out the Klipsch LaScala. Those can be had for less than a PS-1000. And I just paid $650 for a pair of Quad ESL-63s, which I've always wanted.

So, for the same or less than these new headphones, I can try out all the speakers I've always wanted. Why would anyone spend more money for something that doesn't deliver anywhere as much bass or a realistic soundstage?

Wow, I agree with everything you've stated here. I'm happy with my set up as well. You can't get more accurate than the K-1000, HP-2, so I canceled my HD800 order. I also heard the rumor of other manufacturers coming out with new stuff, so I'm sitting on the sidelines enjoying what I have and not missing anything.

I am set with my speakers for life and set with my headphones. I'm not liking the trend of having to upgrade to something in the multiple thousand dollar range every couple of years. I'm not into that "techie" kind of trend. I like being set and the vintage headphones never seem to get beat by the new stuff while increasing in value (investment). They only offer something different. And considering how good speakers can sound for the same price or less than what these new headphones are being sold for just kind of sours me on the whole value idea that headphones used to hold.

Anyway, you will enjoy the 007 set up. I was going to go for them awhile back but after many listens, but they didn't engage me like dynamics do. They are very enjoyable though and if I wasn't trying to keep my set up to a minimum, I'd like to have those as a secondary option.

All this being said, if AKG comes out with a K-1000 level phone (not K701 level), then I might have no choice but to go for it.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

So true. Always enjoyed well reproduced music. My last setup were Mark Levinson's 38s and 333 paired with Sonus Faber Extremas. They were good.. until I got myself 3 kids...

So on to headphones. Ha ha still get cravings... O2s, HD800, L3000, etc wondering if the grass in really greener with other gears especially after reading all the discussions on this forum.

Nothing like a little listen on my K1000s with tubes to get me smiling and thinking why should I? Will the other headphones out there sound better, will they look prettier, are they better made.... maybe but not all in one headphone (excluding HE90 which I have not heard).

What is worth considering is:
1. It has legs... a concept that is class leader in certain areas.
2. It has a loyal following... stable resale prices.
3. No longer in production... see above.

So unless a new and improved K1000 comes along, I will be hanging on to my money.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't get more accurate than the K-1000, HP-2

I’ve never heard anything more accurate than the K-1000s, at least above 50 Hz. But wouldn’t it be nice if one of these new headphones were even more accurate, and with great bass extension? You seem pretty confident that the HD800s and PS1000s won’t be that good. I suppose my bank account also hopes they won’t be.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #28 of 54
Well, they are both almost ruler flat across the whole frequency spectrum as long as they extend anyway. What else can you do to make that better? They are very fast, and the overall signature is very uncolored, exciting and transparent with a huge soundstage.

There are many other phones that do imaging and other aspects better. The highs on the R10 are incredibly enjoyable. The HE-90 is technically better than any headphone that I've heard, but it doesn't sound as neutral as the K-1000 and that coloration has an effect over time even if it's minimal.

Nothing has given me a raw translation of the recording like the K-1000 and HP-2. that's my taste. I prefer the K-1000 to the HE-90 and the R10 - others prefer what they have to offer, but it's not going to get better, just different.

There will be a swell of HD800 and/or PS-1000 blows everything away like most phones released. And everyone will get crazy, FOTM, but in the end, once the dust settles, they will either be among the best or not quite there.

I remember people going crazy about the HD650, that is was exactly like live music, the best headphone ever if you balance them and get the right amp. Now the HD650 is supposed to be blown away by the HD800, then the HD800 will be blown away by the HD900, etc. See how that works?

I'm not in that game, because in the end, they are all different flavors and the K-1000 gives the flavor of what's recorded, not it's own.

/steps off soap box
tongue.gif
- BTW, it would be nice to have more bass extension. The K's are so transparent that you still hear the low bass (no muddiness at all), but it's obviously attenuated.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #29 of 54
Just to add to the chorus, another nice thing about the K1000's is their comfort (ears don't get hot) and the fact that they are non-isolating, i.e. you can hear the doorbell, etc.

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 54
These things are largely a matter of taste but for me it was not difficult to weed out the likes of the O2, O1, HE90, L3000 and sundry other high end headphones in favour of the K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back