A Question to K1000 Owners
Mar 17, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #31 of 54
I have to concur the last posts!
There are really something special about the K1000. Not much more to say...
smile.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #32 of 54
I concur
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is difficult to upgrade from the K-1000. Like a few others have mentioned, I've gone to loudspeakers. I think I'm done with new headphones - the HD-800 and PS-1000 don't interest me. There are rumors of other new models coming along, so I assume that AKG and Beyerdynamic might be rolling out new models. Beyerdynamic always seems to offer excellent value for the money so I would take a close look at anything they offer. If AKG resurrects the K-1000 (it's happened before) or introduces another K-1000 style headphone, I'd likely buy it. That is, as long as it doesn't sound like a K-701.

Other than those possibilities, I plan to pick up the OII one of these days for an electrostat setup.

However, I'm looking towards speaker-fi from now on. The prices of the new headphones has demolished the value proposition of Head-Fi. The economy has pushed the prices of used speakers downward. Why spend $1,400 on a HD-800 when I can get a used Magnepan 1.6QR for a little over $1,000? I also want to try out the Klipsch LaScala. Those can be had for less than a PS-1000. And I just paid $650 for a pair of Quad ESL-63s, which I've always wanted.

So, for the same or less than these new headphones, I can try out all the speakers I've always wanted. Why would anyone spend more money for something that doesn't deliver anywhere as much bass or a realistic soundstage?

I've owned all three speakers.. if you are after accuracy... don't bother with the La scalas not even a nice single ended triode can save them.

The quad ESL-63's are great for detail and nuance, lack the lowest end and are nearly impossible to mate with a sub- save for the entec- sw-1's of nearly the same vintage...good luck finding quality exaplles though.

The maggies are likely your best bet- the newer ones- have less of a veil on them- and are still quick with good bass if set up properly- and fed a good source.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is difficult to upgrade from the K-1000. Like a few others have mentioned, I've gone to loudspeakers. I think I'm done with new headphones - the HD-800 and PS-1000 don't interest me. There are rumors of other new models coming along, so I assume that AKG and Beyerdynamic might be rolling out new models. Beyerdynamic always seems to offer excellent value for the money so I would take a close look at anything they offer. If AKG resurrects the K-1000 (it's happened before) or introduces another K-1000 style headphone, I'd likely buy it. That is, as long as it doesn't sound like a K-701.

Other than those possibilities, I plan to pick up the OII one of these days for an electrostat setup.

However, I'm looking towards speaker-fi from now on. The prices of the new headphones has demolished the value proposition of Head-Fi. The economy has pushed the prices of used speakers downward. Why spend $1,400 on a HD-800 when I can get a used Magnepan 1.6QR for a little over $1,000? I also want to try out the Klipsch LaScala. Those can be had for less than a PS-1000. And I just paid $650 for a pair of Quad ESL-63s, which I've always wanted.

So, for the same or less than these new headphones, I can try out all the speakers I've always wanted. Why would anyone spend more money for something that doesn't deliver anywhere as much bass or a realistic soundstage?

echo everything golden ears has said...... but don't discount an older pair of MG-3 series Magneplanars if you have/are willing to acquire truly excellent upstream gear, I have the now 22 year old MG-IIIas and they are bloody astounding with lightly upgraded crossovers and excellent SS gear driving them... I have heard the 1.6 and 3.6, and the only speaker I can ever imagine upgrading to is the MG-20.1 which I haven't heard but should be significantly improved.......... but before I move from the MG-IIIas, I will go to an active bi-amp setup... unfortunately that's a $5k proposition, best case scenario....

May 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
echo everything golden ears has said...... but don't discount an older pair of MG-3 series Magneplanars if you have/are willing to acquire truly excellent upstream gear, I have the now 22 year old MG-IIIas and they are bloody astounding with lightly upgraded crossovers and excellent SS gear driving them... I have heard the 1.6 and 3.6, and the only speaker I can ever imagine upgrading to is the MG-20.1 which I haven't heard but should be significantly improved.......... but before I move from the MG-IIIas, I will go to an active bi-amp setup... unfortunately that's a $5k proposition, best case scenario....

Yes, the Maggie IIIas were an excellent speaker. I was going to purchase a pair 21 years ago but opted for the B&W 801s instead, but only because I was shipping the speakers overseas and didn't think that they would survive the trip. I still regret not taking the risk of getting them back then.

May 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #38 of 54
I loved the K1000 but I think I would take the HE60 over them. Not sure. Very similar characteristics imo, except the HE60 has more warmth while retaining the excellent detail, imaging, speed and realism. However, the K1000 has more bass impact although both have bass extension problems. The K1000 also has a wider soundstage(obviously lol).

Anyone own both of them previously?

May 4, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you have K1000, the only upgrade is more K1000.
beerchug.gif

k1000s.jpg

Holy cow, that is some collection!
tongue_smile.gif
Why do you have so many?

What's your favorite amplifier for powering them?

May 4, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the O2 (Mk1) after the K1k, and for the time being it put a stop to my headphone purchases.

Same story with me. After hearing the BHSE with the O2MK2s at last year's CanJam, I sold the K1000s to help fund it. I picked up tkam's old APL Phillips SACD 1000 as a source for now, and some O2MK1s, and had a chance to spend time with the whole rig while in dc. I miss the K1000s, but I don't regret selling them for this rig. I'm hoping I'll have it home very soon.

I also bought R10s after having my K1000s for about a year, but never thought of selling them at that time. They were perfect complements to each other.

May 4, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wore mine to the airport along with aglie_one and NightWoundsTime to pick up Thrice. We wanted him to recognize us.
smile.gif

One is given to assume that it did not fail to work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back