A Question to All Single Power Owners Past and Present
Sep 16, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks.

I used to own the MPX3 and never had any problems with it, either.  I was hoping other SP users would chime in, but I guess there aren't that many(?), which seems a bit weird considering how popular these amps used to be.

On a different note, I got the Supra to put into my main stereo rig, for late night (soon to be) apartment listening, but it's 1/2" too wide.  Damn!

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 9
I had a PPX3 for awhile that was well-behaved. I liked that little amp and it was only sold to fund the Zana.

You might want to go back through the Singlepower threads. I can't recall any fires or shocks, but recall a lot of dead amps. Quite a few of those were sent back to Mikhail and never returned to their owners. Others had some really crazy things inside them, like transformers not anywhere close to the rating needed to run the amp.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 9
No problems with my PPX3, sounds beautiful with my collection of cans. Maybe I'll keep it forever!

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 9
I have owned a PPX3 (6cg7 version) for several years and have had zero problems with it.  I actually like it quite a bit and see no reason
whatever to (try to) sell it.

MK

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 9
I truly understand why it had to go down. Our community was being used, abused and singing the blues. I hate that my investment is worthless on the market but I don't plan to sell it.

If I were looking for a 2c51 adapter, I'd be tempted to go for it at $35 considering he was getting $100. Fortunately I was able to secure one from a member here. Flagging the sale forums of your interest will usually come up with what you need.

Zero issues with several meet & personal inspections to be wary. Actually sounds pretty good compared to peer approved equals. Upgraded E. Platinum made on the first run.

Direct answer to the OP, no, no sign of reality bummers here. (Knock, knock, knocks on his RS-1s)

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 9
No. I am an MPX-3 Slam SE owner.  The transformer was properly sized for the 450V B+, but I decided to not use the high power setting, The benefits over the standard 350V were small with the 6BL7 and 6BX7 tubes.  The PS caps needed bleeder resistors.  I have never had any problems since I bought it in 2007.  I changed some caps to improve the sonics.

Supra_buyer has been on EBay for quite a while.  Yes, it is Mikhail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back