A PMP with good SQ under $200
Dec 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Techno Kid

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a new PMP with really good SQ under $200 and I was wondering what are some of the best choices.  The Colorfly C3 was on my list but I'm afraid the bass will be to light for what I listen to and I'm also looking at the Hisoundaudio NOVA N1 which is the one at the top of my list.  Is there any others under the $200 price point that would compare or are better than the HiSound Nova?

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 9
I agree C3 might be to bass light for you mate, rather light for EDM, you might want to read up on the Rocco BA, we have a few on our boards under $200 atm. Hifiman HM-601 would be decent choice if you prefer warmth, it certainly has a beefy low end and sounds rather musical. (good for dubstep and edm) but treble is slightly rolled off. I'd wait for a while and see what others think before jumping on Nova though, I just don't know how capable that player while be at such time.

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi there. It isn't bass light. Certainly not with the ue triple fi 10 the klipsch x10i . Where does this info come from? It's half the price of the hm601.
I'm sure that's a great performer too. I just happen to have the c3 so I know that it is not bass light:)

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi there. It isn't bass light. Certainly not with the ue triple fi 10 the klipsch x10i . Where does this info come from? It's half the price of the hm601.
I'm sure that's a great performer too. I just happen to have the c3 so I know that it is not bass light:)

Check the players I own on my profile. :smile:

For EDM (electronic dance music) Colorfly C3 bass is rather neutral, you will get all the clarity but not thumping sub-bass , It's audiophile bass, designed for quality not quantity. I have also been blessed to run my triple-fi 10 from C3 so I'm hearing exactly what you are. It is indeed bass light compared to others players.

That's where this info comes from.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 9
wait for the Fiio X3 
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 9
My new C3 with triple fi's sound nice and clean, with a bass that is there without being THERE.  I'd liken them to my Kef speakers- if any of you folks have Kefs, you know they certainly aren't boom-boom speakers- just clear sound across the spectrum as Kef intends.  I don't want my sound to be like being in my car next to someone in their car with their sub rattling my mirror and the loose change in my console.  If you want boom-boom, the stock C3 is not for you.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 9
If I can pile on this thread...
what I'm lOOking for is the PMP w/the best DAC, duh, for under $200US.
Musical over analytical.

As well as what IEM will really make the little bugger sing!

BIG thanks.

Just too share what I found out during the half an hour spent on the forum today:
HiFiMAN EXPRESS HM-601 Slim [4G] $199US
&
HiFiMAN RE-400 In-Ear Monitor $99US
[K.I.S.S.!!!! :wink: ] 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Totally the wrong way of using $300 imho. Blind testing a c3 against an imod against a full size cd player.....no difference in sound quality. Get the best iems you can get the cheapest pmp you can.
Simple

Completely correct. A Sansa Clip+, ideally with Rockbox installed for better EQ, a 32GB memory card, and buy premium iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back