A.P. Exams
Apr 26, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #31 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
I will be attending Princeton this fall. I'm not an athlete, artist, or legacy, so I speculate that I was admitted on academics (they've also seen my AP scores). I've taken six AP tests and got four 5s and (horror!) two 4s: one on Spanish Language and the other on Computer Science AB. I'm only an example of anecdotal evidence, but I haven't seen any evidence that 4s on AP exams are the ultimate killers of college applications. Trust me--a 5 isn't the holy grail and a 4 isn't a reason to freak out. A 4 is far from looking bad on a college application, even if you're applying to ivies. Don't stress about AP grades--they're just numbers.

But as to the thread topic, I'm taking AP Chemistry + 6 IB exams. Joy of joys!

Since everybody in these days are so competitive, I doubt I'll even make it into Cornell.... Let me guess you got straight 99% in your AP classes which was why you were accepted into Princeton?

I know lots of people who go to Harvard and Yale and stuff, I don't know anyone who goes to princeton.... I don't think anyone from our school has gone there.

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #33 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Since everybody in these days are so competitive, I doubt I'll even make it into Cornell.... Let me guess you got straight 99% in your AP classes which was why you were accepted into Princeton?

I know lots of people who go to Harvard and Yale and stuff, I don't know anyone who goes to princeton.... I don't think anyone from our school has gone there.

Please....please.....PLEASE realize that grades don't mean everything when it comes to college admissions. Princeton will reject people with straight 99%s and accept those with much less.

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #35 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
if you do bad on a AP exam, are they required to be reported as SAT II grades are?

no. you report AP grades to your college after you get into the school.

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #38 of 90
But remember, as Teerawit said, it isn't just grades that get you into colleges. A friend of mine had straight A's all through high school and great test scores (IIRC around 1550 or higher SAT), yet he didn't make it into Harvard.

There are a lot more factors that make a huge difference. Colleges like you to take an interest in them (and yes, they do keep track of what you do), meaning take interviews, go to the campus, check out the departments, etc. Then there are other things you do in high school. Community service always helps, as does leadership roles. If you manage to become president of a club (and not a tiny club that you started for your own little goals) in high school, they see that. Being an overall active and motivated person (with decent grades) will get you further than straight A's.

Aditya

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #39 of 90
Everything helps.

Preferably, you'd have 98+'s, graduate valedictorian/salutorian, score > 2100 on your SATs, have 30 credit hours before entering college, play a sport for the school, be the president of a major school club (Key Club and Honor Society get top marks here), and have a volunteer sheet a mile long. It'd also greatly help if you were classified by the government as a disadvantaged minority. Being Asian (or to a lesser extent, a white male) hurts you here. The sort of thing applies throught college when applying to graduate programs.

Most of the people I know that went to Ivy's and the hotshot programs had many of these things.

I personally don't agree and think it's a bunch of scutwork nonsense; but hey, their game, their rules. It's great at keeping the improperly socialized away from their programs, which is kinda the point.

Course, all you really need is to be in the top 10% of your class, have a 1800+ SAT score, and attend the big name state college in your area. From there, you can do whatever the hell you want.

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #40 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
I just don't want to get a 4, I want a 5. A 4 looks bad on college application (that is if you're applying to "ivy-league" colleges. Colleges also see the AP grades!

Hmmm, receiving some fours seems to have worked out for me...but whatever.

If you want to obsess over nothing, go right ahead.

-Matt

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #42 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
I will be attending Princeton this fall. I'm not an athlete, artist, or legacy, so I speculate that I was admitted on academics (they've also seen my AP scores). I've taken six AP tests and got four 5s and (horror!) two 4s: one on Spanish Language and the other on Computer Science AB. I'm only an example of anecdotal evidence, but I haven't seen any evidence that 4s on AP exams are the ultimate killers of college applications. Trust me--a 5 isn't the holy grail and a 4 isn't a reason to freak out. A 4 is far from looking bad on a college application, even if you're applying to ivies. Don't stress about AP grades--they're just numbers.

But as to the thread topic, I'm taking AP Chemistry + 6 IB exams. Joy of joys!

heh, i got a 3 on my european history, ironically the only one i studied for last year and the one I thought I did best on after the test was over
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #44 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
that's what i thought, but I'm hearing conflicting reports

i'm just going by what people have told me. i could very well be wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back