A.P. Exams
Apr 25, 2006 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Oistrakh

Headphoneus Supremus
does anyone have any AP exam(s) coming up during the next two weeks? I have one, AP World History coming up on Wednesday MAy 3 (next wednesday) and I'm pretty nervous. There are three essays and a multiple choice section, and the multiple choice section is HARD. I really hope I get a 5 on the exam... I know people who take 5 AP exams, imagine how much studying they have to do! So does anyone here take AP exams and how have to been doing to study/prepare and what are your thoughts?

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 90
I've been through a couple of AP classes in my day.

here's a tip: forget them and take a night class at your local comm. college. Will be HELLA easier and you're more likely to get college credit. You don't get credit for a 3, but you WILL get credit for a C.

be assured that the exam will ask every single question that you missed the answer to because you dozed off for a second in class.

buy the APUSH study book, read it cover to cover.
rinse
repeat x 20 (unless you have a really good memory)
:/
good luck

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 90
I'm taking four exams this year. Next week Wednesday is Calculus AB; a week later is Chemistry. The day after I spend all day taking Microeconomics and Macroeconomics.

Don't get too nervous about the exam. I took AP US History last year and scored a 4. 5's are for perfectionists and people who just like to show off. I've got study books and I'm trying to focus on these tests for the next few weeks before I graduate. Study books are a good resource, though I didn't use one last year. My US History teacher held a few afterschool review sessions and had us review plenty of old DBQs. I did extremely well on the multiple choice, but not so hot on the essays/DBQ.

I'm taking Chemistry and Calculus to learn the material so it isn't new when I go into college next fall. While I hope to score well on Calculus, it won't affect me too much either way as I'll still take the same course that I would've without AP credit.

Good Luck!

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 90
I haven't studied for my three AP tests yet. Yep, I'm pretty much screwed.

AP English Language
AP Chemistry
AP U.S. Government

I've always studied in the past. I haven't do so this year... most likely due to Senioritis.
eek.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 90
Eh, don't worry about it too much. I just studied for a few days before the exams, and I was fine. I found it really helpful to get the books specifically designed to help you study for the AP exam. I don't remember the brand that I used, but I'd reccommend getting the study books for courses you think they might help in. I think I used one for US History and Physics. I didn't think I needed it for my other classes (and I didn't) so I didn't get any other ones.

Oh, and I took 4 APs my senior year. It's really not that bad.

Anyway, good luck on your APs! They'll be over before you know it.

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 90
I just don't want to get a 4, I want a 5. A 4 looks bad on college application (that is if you're applying to "ivy-league" colleges. Colleges also see the AP grades!

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
I just don't want to get a 4, I want a 5. A 4 looks bad on college application (that is if you're applying to "ivy-league" colleges. Colleges also see the AP grades!

let me put it this way, there's no way in hell a college will reject you because of a "4." If you get rejected, chances are you would've gotten rejected regardless of whether you got a 4 or 5

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
let me put it this way, there's no way in hell a college will reject you because of a "4." If you get rejected, chances are you would've gotten rejected regardless of whether you got a 4 or 5

pretty much. you're essentially taking the AP test to get college credit, not to show off to colleges. your AP score i believe doesn't show up on your transcript

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 90
I wouldn't worry too much about them actually, most schools don't take em, and even the ones that do...it's not worth it. all the scores do is give you bragging rights while finishing H.S.
dont worry about the Histories; they are way too easy, not nearly as hard as the practice stuff (from my expereience)...it's the upper science ones that are worthy of stress!
very_evil_smiley.gif

quick: in 1960 poverty was at 20 percent, in 1970 it was 11 percent. nearly every political scientist has noted the poor constituency that poor people make (ie, they vote at a very low rate). given, how they don't exercise much political power, what explains the drop in poverty and the growth of anti poverty government agencies/programs in the second half of the 1960s?

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 90
Yeah, colleges don't see the AP credits until you request that ETS sends it out (which you should do only after you've decided what college you're going to, since it costs money). Oistrakh, I don't know what colleges you're applying to, but just remember, Ivy Leagues aren't the alpha and omega of colleges. Go to whatever suits your needs (and your budget). There's no point going to Harvard for engineering, as Georgia Tech has a far better engineering school and will cost far less (just to give an example). However, for liberal arts, as good of a school as Tech has in that, Harvard would be the better choice.

You'll all be fine, as long as you have kept up with your material during classes and have been a diligent (not amazing, just work hard) student through the year, you will do well. As far as study materials go, I've had great luck with the Barron's series of review books. Use them to great effect. Also, for those out there that aren't juniors and seniors, you don't need to take every AP your school has. The critical ones that I highly recommend are English Lit/Language, Calc AB/BC (if your school offers BC that is), and Chem/Bio/Physics C (once again, not necessarily all, check your major requirements at prospective colleges first, since not all will be needed for every major). Other than those, take AP's as you wish to get you along your prospective major path. There's not much point taking 100 history AP's if you are planning on going into Aerospace Engineering, so just be smart about what you take.

Aditya

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire

True. My friend sent his AP scores to college (even though he got a 2 in AP French) and still got into Cornell. (Not that Cornell is an extra selective school, but it's still reputable.) You can definitely get into any college with a 4 or 5, and a 3 will most likely not matter either. Good grades in those AP classes are somewhat more important in the end.

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 90
I am taking AP US History... god im so screwed lol. I dont know how I will write those essays....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back