a nod to someone who has served us well
Feb 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 372

dBel84

Cavalli Tinkerer at large
Hello all

I have discussed the idea of honouring Alex Cavalli aka runeight on the DIY forum with a few members and there seems to be general consensus that this is a just cause. I am posting in the lounge ( an area that I don't often frequent myself ) as I think this will remain under his radar. ( i.e. this will be so much better as a surprise )

Who is Alex Cavalli?

He is many things; but for many of us he is an inovator of ingenious design and he has given selflessly of himself for the past decade. Here is a link to his website where you can see a few of his designs that have come to fruition and many have the pleasure of owning.

Why now? Well simply put, in a recent conversation I had with him it became clear that he needed better headphones and I got to thinking that this would be one way for all of us who appreciate the effort he has put into our hobby to say thank you.

There is no firm decision as to which headphones will be purchased, it will be a group decision. My thinking and personal preference would be for a highly modified orthodynamic unless we somehow reach the HD800 level in which case I will bow to commerce. Stats have also been suggested but I feel that he would appreciate more a headphone that can be used with his beloved Bijou and other creations. There will be a vote on this once we have the funds, so feel free to post your single recommendation.

I have tried setting up a "foster" account on paypal but that didn't work. edited out is my personal e-mail account and linked to my paypal account. If you are concerned about this, I understand but for those who know me will vouch for my honesty and I will not profit from this venture in any way. If there are funds remaining, I will add them to the funds left over in AMB's 'good turn' fund. If there are strong opinions about this, it too can be a decision made by the group and not myself.

Please respect my e-mail account and don't send me spam, I give it out freely to those who wish to be in contact with me.

To make a donation - send a gift payment to the edited include your online ID in the comments section as I will keep a running tab of names and donations so that there can be full disclosure and so that the appropriate acknowledgments can be made.

Thanks ..dB
(Donald)

edit - please feel free to spread the word - I will keep this open for 1 month and then tally everything up

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 372
I am in - you have funds in that account.

It would be very nice to really repay one of the top DIY designers for his kindly efforts, not only via his designs, but also for tirelessly supporting builders through all sorts of faux pas, and design alterations.

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 372
updated tally : $1385

Contributors :
dB / Batman / Pabbi / Forsakenrider / Sachu / guzziguy / cfcubed / wiatrob / smeggy / headphoneaddict
ferrari / amphead / germania aka childofthehorn / digger945 / postal_blue / nikongod
MrMajestic2 / adamus / tacitapproval / Alcaudon / nmaher / anon / ferrari / moodysteve
chobint / fishski13 / fordgtlover / linuxworks / vixr / MrSlim / jp11801 / kklee / balderon
krmathis / AMB / MASantos / MisterX / TomB / sacd lover / scompton / Uncle Bob / ericj / holland
Elephas / V-DiV / Hayduke / naamanf / jrossel / rds / user18 / willisv / pars / tintin47 / zkool448

..dB

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 372
Count me in. I'll donate to your account when I get home - am still stuck at work.
frown.gif

I might be able to contribute something else, as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
We'll talk about it in PM.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #10 of 372
Such a nice idea!!!! I'm in too, of course!
wink.gif

It's a shame that I'm in a very bad economical situation right now and I can't contribute with as much as I would like to
frown.gif
. But I'll try to do my best, I don't want to miss the oportunity to thank Alex for his work.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 372
Where would I be without him! Richer with fewer grey hairs, but no where near as experienced. I'm in...

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 372
Excellent idea Donald! Learned one heck of a lot on the CTH project & most of it through Alex... No matter what you bring to the table he treats you & your ideas w/respect and never skimps on explanations (quite the contrary!).

BTW - Hope you don't get spammed... Don't know but think there may be bots around skimming for mailto tags... Lots use like nospam or somesuch in the midst of their addrs.. Edit: Forget this ^^^^, would be bad if someone's PP payment when into the bit bucket..

Thanks for running this. You've got my donation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back