A newbie's comparison between REO's and DBA-02's
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LJH01

Head-Fier
Hello All,
I just received my DBA-02's last night.  I bought these because i was looking for the next step after the REO's that I have been listening too for the last 8 weeks or so.  First off  I would like to preface this by saying I have listened to 4 different sets of head phone in recent history including the stock Apple ear buds that came with my Iphone 4 so I am far from a expert. 

The RE0's and DBA's are amazingly similar in sound, I love the speed and precision of the RE0's and I am getting all the speed and precision out of the DBA's as well.  One thing that I always though was lacking in the RE0's was the "punch' in bass....not that the RE0's did not offer bass but it did not have the "punch" of say the Klipsh S4's that I bought my wife.  I did buy a Fiio E1 amp and that helped a bit with the bass as well as opening up the sound stage and add to that the EQx app for my Iphone I was pretty happy with the bass.  Last night I spent well over an hour going back and forth between the RE0's and DBA's and over all the DBA's do sound better to me.  The sound stage is quite a bit bigger than the RE0's and the DBA's offer a bit more bass....I think the bass is pretty perfect actually, nice mix of "punch" and precision. I did all my comparing with the EQ set flat and running through the Fiio E1.    The only down side to the DBA's is a slight simbiance (sp) on some vocals but it is not bad at all....and weirdly I found it came out a lot when listening to Jerry Garcia's vocals but not to women's vocals, I thought that was weird. 

Over all I think the DBA's do offer a nicer listening experience than the RE0's and I look forward to getting them burnt in and seeing if the experiance changes for the better at all, I am not sure if it was the RE0's or my head but after all the time i have spent with the RE0's they did get better with time. 

On the value side I am saying the RE0's are really hard to beat, I paid $80USD for the RE0's and $160USD for the DBA's.  Are the DBA's worth twice as much as the RE0's?  NO WAY......but I guess this is the law of diminishing returns at work here.  Do the DBA's perform better than the RE0's?  To my ears there is an improvement and the overall listening experience is a bit nicer with a "bigger" sound (sound stage) and more authority in the bass department.  After comparing the two I then listen to the DBA's in bed for an hour or so while i read and they are super nice....I am glad I ordered them and since they are so similar to the RE0's I can use the RE0's when i am out and about and then listen to the DBA's in the safety of the house.

On a side note I am listening to the DBA's in bed next to my wife and she looks at me and asks what the deal is with the white/black cables....and then says..."you bought another set of head phones, why?"....busted right off the bat, she is a smart cookie.

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a side note I am listening to the DBA's in bed next to my wife and she looks at me and asks what the deal is with the white/black cables....and then says..."you bought another set of head phones, why?"....busted right off the bat, she is a smart cookie.

Cheers,
Jim

Ha ha!  My wife MIGHT notice if the engine in our car blew up, but she notices a new set of IEMs in 30 seconds!!

I have been tempted many times to buy the DBA-02, but have been put off by the multi-month wait time and the price/value ratio related to the RE0 and similar phones.  I have since found the Ety HF5 and haven't been tempted to look around much at all. 

I would love to hear a DBA-02 vs HF5 comparison -- 2 BA drivers vs 1 BA driver.

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Ha ha!  My wife MIGHT notice if the engine in our car blew up, but she notices a new set of IEMs in 30 seconds!!

I have been tempted many times to buy the DBA-02, but have been put off by the multi-month wait time and the price/value ratio related to the RE0 and similar phones.  I have since found the Ety HF5 and haven't been tempted to look around much at all. 

I would love to hear a DBA-02 vs HF5 comparison -- 2 BA drivers vs 1 BA driver.

It's a close call IMO. For accuracy, the HF5 is better. For fun listening DBA-02 can be better if you like its coloration. I personally got a bit tired of DBA-02 coloration and mostly listen to my Etys now. I got the ER4 though, but it should be very similar to HF5.

I think properly driven RE0 is as good as DBA-02 or even better. The bass that is lacking with unamped RE0 becomes perfectly fine when RE0 is amped or paired with a good quality warm source. I think the ER4 is better than both if you give it enough juice though. Not sure how HF5 will scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back