A New Tube Aplifier From Serbia- Trafomatic
Oct 13, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #91 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of the custom transformers this may be a moving target as far as total time is concerned.

What do you have on it now Kees ? My original estimate of 100 hours may actually be shy by quite a few hours. No matter, I'm sure your enjoying and noting the changes as the hours tick by
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

We'll see.
I have about 70 hours on it now.
I've been playing around linking it to my main system to hear how it does as a preamp. I got a nasty ground hum that I couldn't get completely rid of
frown.gif

I tried it with some music anyway, but it seems it is a lot better as a headphone amp than as a preamp I'm afraid. It lacks too much transparency and soundstage to perform adequately in my speaker rig. Maybe with some more burn-in, but I kind of doubt it.
I'll try again later and see how it does with the AKG K1000 / JK active 65 setup, replacing the Stealth as a preamp.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #92 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We'll see.
I have about 70 hours on it now.
I've been playing around linking it to my main system to hear how it does as a preamp. I got a nasty ground hum that I couldn't get completely rid of
frown.gif

I tried it with some music anyway, but it seems it is a lot better as a headphone amp than as a preamp I'm afraid. It lacks too much transparency and soundstage to perform adequately in my speaker rig. Maybe with some more burn-in, but I kind of doubt it.
I'll try again later and see how it does with the AKG K1000 / JK active 65 setup, replacing the Stealth as a preamp.

Hmmm.....what's the internal ground scheme of the amp ? The standard earth wire grounded to the chassis near the IEC ? Email Trafo ..they might be able to supply a solution......that being said another option is,

Heres a link to manufacturer of great products for devices to kill annoying ground loops. They have dealers in Denmark and UK among other EU countries...I use the humex module in my Guitar amp/rack rig ...it's been fantastic and is completely transparent in use. Hopefully they have a EU version of it, if not, the other method being a passive line level signal device.

Ebtech - Professional Audio Solutions

One of their solutions of which there are several may be the ticket. There is a pdf on the sight that is very helpful in identifying possible causes with some safe options to try out.

It's for pro gear in the music industry but it translates to audio use just as well.

I look forward to further impressions you have of this amp Kees....

Maybe the ground loop can be eliminated easily and a more favorable result experienced when used as a preamp is possible with some minor fiddling.

Hope that helps a little.

Peete.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #93 of 103
Wow, it has been a while (in HeadFi days) since I have had the time to follow up on this thread. Congratulations Kees on finally landing your Trafo and for all your patience. I am glad you are enjoying the Head One as much as I enjoy mine.

I feel the Trafomatic has a very transparent signature for a tube based transformer amp. When I switched from my Marantz and 1541 based Paradisea dac, like your set up, to my Audio Aero MKII cdp, the sound improved dramatically. The soundstage gained more depth, the midrange opened up even more so, the bass was much more controlled and the instruments took on a more lifelike sound a very impressive improvement. FWIW.
Congratulations!
beerchug.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But from what I can tell, only the very rare and expensive Western Electric WE437 can sub for the 6S45P triode.

I didn't read through the whole thread, but, in case nobody else has said so, the WE437 is not a substitute for the 6S45. Their specs are similar enough that people use them for the same things, but the electrical parameters are different, the pin out is different, and in fact they use different sockets. There is a loctal version of the WE437 called the 3A/167M. There are no other versions of the 6C45, though there are different vintages.

There are pentodes that can be wired as triodes that will be close enough to the 6C45 that you could sub one into this circuit with some slight rewiring.

One last thing, once you get to designing and building amps like this, tube rolling becomes less interesting. You can make bigger differences in topology and parts changes -- if the tubes are run as they should be, they make a relatively small contribution to the overall amp.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #95 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One last thing, once you get to designing and building amps like this, tube rolling becomes less interesting. You can make bigger differences in topology and parts changes -- if the tubes are run as they should be, they make a relatively small contribution to the overall amp.

Some of us will never be at the point where we are designing or building amps. And some of us also *enjoy* tube rolling as part of the hobby.

But thanks for the info for everyone on the WE437.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #96 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, with my Single Powers, every tube sounds different. Many are unlistenable, a few are magic. For me, different tubes greatly effect the sound. Sure, changing parts may or may not have a bigger difference, but then again, maybe it wouldn't for me.

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #97 of 103
Damn, the finnish retailer is out of them at the moment. They said it takes 2-4 weeks to get a new shipment. Well, just have to wait that long.
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #98 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, the finnish retailer is out of them at the moment. They said it takes 2-4 weeks to get a new shipment. Well, just have to wait that long.
tongue.gif

Well it's been two weeks, any luck yet?

Now that I have my Trafo hooked up to my Audio Aero Capitole, I like the Trafomatic Head One even better than before. The Trafomatic offers a very detailed and quick sound. No syrupy tubby signature, almost as quick as the Luxman P-1 and equally as engaging. Definitely engaging, yes that's it and non fatiguing, I just get lost in the music. Wow, enjoying the music, what a concept.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #99 of 103
Well... I guess I was pretty much hooked to Trafomatic since I got the Phono One...

headonenu5.jpg

Apologies about the poor lighting... but this is how I see it now at 1:15 AM. Nicer photos [and some of the innards] tomorrow for those who want them.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #100 of 103
Just something I realized going through the OP's original post [take that for word play!]... mine came with an EZ81 rectifier. His was apparently shipped with an EZ80.

I see now on Sasha's website that the Head One is listed as being able to use both EZ80 and EZ81. Might be fun to see whether changing either makes a difference.

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #102 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the multiple output taps on that amp - very difficult to find something like that commercially. I think you can get some play with the Hammond 125E output transformers, which are affordable. The only others I know of that aren't custom wound are Sowter's headphone transformers. Just ordered a pair for an upcoming project (76/6SN7/45 with interstage transformers) and it's cost about $550 to get them over to the US.

So $900 for a completed amp with multiple taps is a bargain. This amp should have a cult following.

Electraprint will make OPT like these for around $250 a pair, on par quality wise with Sowter.

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #103 of 103
Dear MR: Trafomatic, I am seeking for a Price on 4 X DOUBLE C-CORE  POWER OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS  for USE in  a Pair of MONO Block TUBE AMPLIFIERS using 4 X KT  88 Tubes with 2 X Driver Tubes , And looking For 2 Pairs of DOUBLE C -Cre Transformers to Put out at Least 100 Watts on Each Mono Block.
I have gone through your site and I am very impressed with your Workmanship. 
And would Appreciate a A Price on The Transformers.
Kind Regards
Francis Jansz
Melbourne
AUSTRALIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back