A New Tube Aplifier From Serbia- Trafomatic
Oct 11, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #76 of 103
After a couple of hours allready significant changes:
The highs are getting there, nice and sparkly.
Bass is more controled.
Soundstage opening up.

I am listening to Bill Frisell (East West, CD1) with my HD650 now.
Well, to make it short: I think I can do without my balanced pair from now on.
atsmile.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no tubes to roll. The 6S45 only has one very rare, difficult to find, expensive nos WE equivalent. The EZ80/ 6v4 rectifier has a few different brands but most sound very similar.

Excellent.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Are extras hard to find ? Does Trafo supply replacements if needed (down the road) ?

OBE the tubes really don't play a part in burn in other than making the whole package function to allow that process to happen. Although I do believe that tubes (NOS or reissue) need some settling time of their own. IMO at least
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 11, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a couple of hours allready significant changes:
The highs are getting there, nice and sparkly.
Bass is more controled.
Soundstage opening up.

I am listening to Bill Frisell (East West, CD1) with my HD650 now.
Well, to make it short: I think I can do without my balanced pair from now on.
atsmile.gif

Cool........I'm willing to bet at 100 hours of use the frequency spectrum will be outstanding in all aspects.

Peete.

Oct 11, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #79 of 103
Quote:

The crappy photos don't do justice to the looks of this amp.
Look & feel of this amp are superb. Next to this piece of equipment everything else looks shabby.

I can second that. Pictures just don't justify this beauty.

Quote:

Another thing I want to say here is that I got great service from Trafomatic (Sasa). The original amp took a long time to arrive, but that had mainly to do with Slovenian customs. When it arrived and turned out to be not quite ok (a channel imbalance) Sasa arranged to send another amp right away. He also arranged that I could return my first amp to an address in Holland, saving a lot of hassle and shipping cost. He also answered all my e-mails promptly.
Despite the long waiting I have no complaints about Trafomatic at all.

His service is great. Sasa answers mails in minutes or hours at maximum. As I already told, he offered to ship the amp through a friend who lives in Austria so there was no need for me to buy from retailers or to pay customs. I got it for 666,- Euro (
devil_face.gif
) all in all.

Quote:

Sound.
It needs a lot of burn-in. Definitely.
Very preliminary:
MASSIVE sound.
Much bass. (usually one of those things that tighten up with burn-in)
Very forward mids.
Rather shy in the highs (but that may be mainly because of the massive bass and forward midrange).
It hits hard and fast, despite its heavy sound signature.
Soundsatage not very big, even somewhat congested, but that will hopefully open up with burn-in.
Transparency is not it's forte right now. This can also improve enormously with burn-in.
A lot of PRAT. It definitely rocks.
The overall first impression actually reminds me a lot of my L3000.

Mine was more detailed than my D2 Viper (with OPA627) out of the box but through this 2 weeks of use (I think it had 150 - 200h) it cleared up even more.

I wouldn't call it treble shy... but it's definately not what I would call piercing either but very smooth (tubey?).

Mids are more forward than the D2's mids. Vocals, strings and guitars have a very rich tone and a nice body to them. It fits the GS-1000 perfectly.

The bass has also more punch than I expected but it's also nicely textured. It's neither overpowered nor shy... just what I like.

The soundstage opened and widened a lot when I got the Havana DAC... it was almost like night and day. I think the Havana is also a great fit for the Head One because of this and the details and overall crispness it provides.

Quote:

I tried the GS1000 because MONVMENTVM mentioned them, and I can see how they match very well. The mids of the GS1000 benefit a lot by the forwardness of this amp.

I need to give it more time now.

Thanks for that! It really seems to be a great amp for the GS-1000. There really aren't any piercing highs, mids are more lively and musical and the bass just complements the GS-1k.

Btw. give the impedance knob a try. While the 30 Ohm setting makes the mids just slightly more forward than on the D2, the 100 Ohm setting boosts it quite a lot. It's an overall more powerful and punchy setting. I think it fits great for rock. The 300 Ohm setting makes the exact opposite though being more laid back.

The interesting thing is that this differs from phone to phone. It's probably because it can deliver more current on low Ohm setting, a combination of more current and voltage in 100 Ohm and more of the latter in 300 Ohm setting and that reacts with the impedance of the used phone. Quite a funny thing.

Btw. I also talked with Sasa and he told me that the tubes need at least 200h to sound good.

The Havana DAC probably needs some more burn-in too as I got it just less than a week ago.

At the moment I'm really happy with that hardware. Maybe I'll give the DacMagic and the Woo 6 a try just to be able to compare that stuff to something else and have a reference. I'll keep just one DAC and amp though and right now I think that it won't get much better at a reasonable price than what I have right now.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #80 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Are extras hard to find ? Does Trafo supply replacements if needed (down the road) ?

Peete.

I checked that before I bought this amp and these tubes are readily available.

I'm checking out all my phones on this amp now. I think I'm hooked. This amp is incredible so far.
I have to try more different kinds of music of course, but so far I am mightily impressed.

I think tomorrow I'm going to try and see how it does as a preamp in my main system.

This is fun!!!!

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #81 of 103
Been with the Trafo Amp for 3 weeks. I'm as happy as the day I got it. Silky smooth sound with enough resolve power to b1tchslap a SS amp. Not going roll tubes either, as this is heavenly enough for me (for now).

Would like to know from ppl who tried this, and the Zane and/or Woo5 to do some comparison though.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #83 of 103
Looks like a really nice amp. Glad you got it finally, and are happy with it.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment I'm really happy with that hardware. Maybe I'll give the DacMagic and the Woo 6 a try just to be able to compare that stuff to something else and have a reference. I'll keep just one DAC and amp though and right now I think that it won't get much better at a reasonable price than what I have right now.

Could you do a little comparision between Head One and WE6? Or did I get you wrong for owning one. I was about to order WA6 but this one seems very (read: too) interesting. Especially 'cause you said GS1000 likes this amp.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #85 of 103
He doesn't own Woo 6 yet. Actually maybe you could listen to this amp in Finland. Trafomatic home page shows that there is Finnish distributor - Audioshop Ratilainen
. Price is said to be 890 €. Considering that you have to pay VAT + import duties anyway, if you decided to order it from Trafomatic directly - it isn't such a bad deal.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He doesn't own Woo 6 yet. Actually maybe you could listen to this amp in Finland. Trafomatic home page shows that there is Finnish distributor - Audioshop Ratilainen
. Price is said to be 890 €. Considering that you have to pay VAT + import duties anyway, if you decided to order it from Trafomatic directly - it isn't such a bad deal.

I spotted that too. Sent an email asking if there's a possibility to go there with my Grados and try it out. I actually live ~50km from there.
smily_headphones1.gif
Only thing I'm worried about that is that they only have new amp for listening, so won't get any picture of the amp after burnin.
frown.gif

Yeah the price ain't bad. Normally everything costs a lot more in Finland than elsewhere. And I actually asked Trafomatic if they sell amps straight to Finland, they told me that: "Usually when haven't distributor in this country , but we have distributor in Finland".

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #90 of 103
Quote:

Thanks.
Still burning-in. The sound keeps developing.
I guess I need some more patience.....

Because of the custom transformers this may be a moving target as far as total time is concerned.

What do you have on it now Kees ? My original estimate of 100 hours may actually be shy by quite a few hours. No matter, I'm sure your enjoying and noting the changes as the hours tick by
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back