A new high end player: Colorfly
Dec 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #211 of 356
Here you go.  Confucius say, "Lower expectations to avoid disappointment."  No USB DAC, no LO, no 24bit playback only upconversion.  
blink.gif

Review.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #212 of 356
As far as I know it can already play wav files up to 24 bit / 192 khz, and the ability to play flac files up to 24 bit / 192 khz will be added with a firmware update.  Same with the USB DAC functionality, seems that will be added with a firmware update, too.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #213 of 356

Quote:
As far as I know it can already play wav files up to 24 bit / 192 khz, and the ability to play flac files up to 24 bit / 192 khz will be added with a firmware update.  Same with the USB DAC functionality, seems that will be added with a firmware update, too.

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath on a FW update from a boutique vendor like this any time soon.  Releasing this unfinished product also confirms my fears about the company to an extent.  I also haven't seen anything about it playing any native 24 bit format.  Even so, despite a more treble oriented signature from reports it apparently falls behind both the 60x and 801 in resolving power.  Hopefully I'll hear one soon enough to know but it doesn't sound like the 801 killer to me so far.  Is it actually doing gapless?  Don't recall any mention.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #215 of 356
Well, German Audio magazine claim in their review that it does play 24/192 WAV files from internal memory (Link: 3MB PDF).

But tbo, their review doesn't inspire much confidence at all: they picture a pristine FR-graph of the iPod Touch (!) at 32Ω while stating in the subsequent paragraph that the Colorfly has bass rolloff below 100Hz with 32Ω phones.
confused.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #217 of 356
as nice as it looks its a brick, no ifs or buts..even hifi-man looks a decent size next to it 
blink.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #218 of 356

Quote:
as nice as it looks its a brick, no ifs or buts..even hifi-man looks a decent size next to it 
blink.gif

If I got it I would use it as a desktop transport. Never for portable use.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #219 of 356

Quote:
Quote:
blink.gif

If I got it I would use it as a desktop transport. Never for portable use.

well, thats probably the only functional use for it..
though i would much prefer a modular set up for desktop, even though it would cost more.

one would be to have ipod classic + algorythm solo + amp 

with classic you get the space, or other alternatives such as ipad, iphone etc. and should be usable with future products with hopefully larger drives..better interface, more functions such as web browsing, video etc. 

algorhythm solo gives you a nice DAC or digital out for external DAC. granted it wont play 24 bit (limited by apple side and not the solo as far as I know)

amp for your own preference in SQ..

you can have these all run on battery so pretty good for transportable. also can use ipod (or ipod+amp) for portable use. 

of course, if you need FLAC support then this setup would be useless..

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #220 of 356
I own an Hifiman HM-801 and I'm quite happy with it, though I'm still interested in the Colorfly, because it has a digital out. That way it makes getting a JH-3A DSP amp more tempting. I think this will be my next upgrade in a year or so. 
It makes so much sense because I'm not just happy with the amount of bass the Hifiman delivers and I have to use the EQ to adjust to my taste. I guess I like the more colored sounds of an ipod.

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #221 of 356

Quote:
I own an Hifiman HM-801 and I'm quite happy with it, though I'm still interested in the Colorfly, because it has a digital out. That way it makes getting a JH-3A DSP amp more tempting. I think this will be my next upgrade in a year or so. 
It makes so much sense because I'm not just happy with the amount of bass the Hifiman delivers and I have to use the EQ to adjust to my taste. I guess I like the more colored sounds of an ipod.

The review on Headfonia above says it has less bass than the HM-801. It also doesn't have an adjustable EQ, just presets. One of them is bass, but it sound like the one on the S:flo2 that ruined the music (and I love bass.) Unless you could find some kind of portable EQ to use with the player, it may not work.

But if you are planning to use it with the JH-3A, that solves the bass problem, because the JH-3A has adjustable bass. It will also work nicely with the Coaxial S/PDIF outs on the player. 

The player looks awesome, too bad it is way out of my budget. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #222 of 356
I'm going to be trying the Colorfly this weekend with my JH-13s. Unfortunately I only have my iPod Shuffle 1st-generation and iPhone 4 to compare it to.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #223 of 356
Couple of reviewers (impressions) in China say that the Colorfly is not suited for IEMs. The 1/8" jack has 'too much power'. They say the 1/4" jack, however, can drive the DT880 (impedance unsure) to very adequate levels.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #224 of 356

Quote:
Couple of reviewers (impressions) in China say that the Colorfly is not suited for IEMs. The 1/8" jack has 'too much power'. They say the 1/4" jack, however, can drive the DT880 (impedance unsure) to very adequate levels.

Interesting! I was told at Jaben HK that the consensus was the Colorfly offered substantially lower driving power than the HM-801 with a more detailed output. I do have HF-2s in any case, and Jaben HK also has T1s, SM3s, and some other gear.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #225 of 356

Quote:
It work with HD600 and DT880(32) should be well, and I don't know why It has two POs but don't have LO.~~

Do any one knows how to use the SPDIF of it?

A coaxial cable to a DAC that accepts S/PDIF in coaxial. Also, one of the digital ports is acually a digital in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back