A new high end player: Colorfly
Dec 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #196 of 356
It still is today IMO 
cool.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Just noticed your signature ... you really read Illuminatus!, Schrödinger's Cat etc. ... well, that was freaky stuff back than
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #197 of 356
my friend said that the internal of C4 has a similar design to one dac desktop (forget what is the brand, will ask him again later)
maybe its why the size is longer than Hifiman hm801

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #198 of 356
^^ the size sure is cause of the fact that its packed !! ....not because they wanted to make it big. ( . .., . no offense )
on paper it looks good ...waiting for the reviews!
popcorn.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #199 of 356

Quote:
http://player.ru/showpost.php?p=765394&postcount=2400 (Colorfly vs. Cowon X5 modded) : Of course, X5 (even modded) is much lighter, smaller; the navigation is easier and it supports more formats (kudos to rockbox devs); battery life time is comparable. Now what about the sound: with Re0 i nearly don't hear a difference between Colorfly and X5, so i had to use Um3x to pick up the details. Colorfly and X5 sound is equally detailed. The difference is in the temper of giving the music. X5 has the very flat SQ, and the colorfly is different on mids: all virtual sound sources are about on the same distance on X5, and on colorfly vocals are farther than everything else.

Well, that's nearly all impressions from actual colorfly owners.

looks like Russian love to mod Cowon X5, is it really good? i mean you cannot do much with this small-size player , i doubt the sound can be compared to the big-size one 

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #200 of 356

Quote:
Quote:
http://player.ru/showpost.php?p=765394&postcount=2400 (Colorfly vs. Cowon X5 modded) : Of course, X5 (even modded) is much lighter, smaller; the navigation is easier and it supports more formats (kudos to rockbox devs); battery life time is comparable. Now what about the sound: with Re0 i nearly don't hear a difference between Colorfly and X5, so i had to use Um3x to pick up the details. Colorfly and X5 sound is equally detailed. The difference is in the temper of giving the music. X5 has the very flat SQ, and the colorfly is different on mids: all virtual sound sources are about on the same distance on X5, and on colorfly vocals are farther than everything else.

Well, that's nearly all impressions from actual colorfly owners.

looks like Russian love to mod Cowon X5, is it really good? i mean you cannot do much with this small-size player , i doubt the sound can be compared to the big-size one 

Not Russians at all, but single man (like Vinnie does his mod for ipod).
As opposed to iMod (which has the single circuit changed), such a cowon mod features completely new circuit board in addition to stock one; iirc that extra board features DAC, amplifier etc. That's why such a mod is available only to people who already replaced HDD with CF in their X5 (so there is a free space inside for that board), and why the battery life of modded X5 is so poor.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #201 of 356
Many put the X5 (alexmod) at the same level as the 801. From original X5 after mod there is little left. A free place for mod they got from replacing hard drive to CF card

Any news about Colorfly?

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #205 of 356

Quote:
I need to hear this thing. I'd try and order one right now but sensible cashflow management dictates that I wait until February. And am I alone in thinking it actually looks quite good?

No.  I usually hate retro designs but for audio it just works somehow.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #207 of 356
Does anyone know if the Colorfly plays ogg files? Different websites state different things when it comes to ogg.
It seems like a good thing to pair with the JH-3A,
but I've got many oggs lying around so ogg capability would be neccessary.
If it doesn't I guess I have to try a rockboxed Archos Jukebox or a Cowon Q5W.

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #209 of 356
Thanks. Too bad. 
Unfortunately I've just read that the Archos can't play OGG even with Rockbox.. so it's probably the Q5W or crying bitterly about the oggs I can't play :/

/edit

I've just called Colorful Europe. And they told me that the Colorfly does indeed play ogg files, and that it's only current problem was with studio master flacs.

/edit²

Oh well, I've just ordered one. Talked a bit with the German customer support and as they all seemed pretty helpful I thought I might just throw some money in their direction. I'll report back. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back