A new DA7.2x ?
Aug 30, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #48 of 412
Thanks to Larry's comments, my experience with the Zhaolu 2.0, and a sale of some stuff, I just ordered my 7.2 DAC as well.

I won't hold you responsible if I don't like it, Larry
tongue.gif
Though I'm sure I will!

Given Eddie's past fast shipping, I should have this early next week. I'll be sure to check the voltage connection if there is no sticker on the unit (or will just check with Eddie).

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #49 of 412
Skull:

I think all the units Eddie gets are congigured for 220v. The label on the back says 220v. However, with dual primary 110v windings on the toroid and two positions for the power connector, it's obviously designed for either. The 110v 4-conductor connector position is right next to the 220v on the board.
If you want to check that it's correct, it's only necessary to remove the back-panel screws and all the screws from the right-side clamshell (as viewed from the front). That way, you can see if the wires go into the connector further to the right (also, as viewed from the front).
Saturday, I'm doing a shootout with a Meitner Museatex Bidat in a friend's system. I'll report back.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #50 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by tianguis
Maxxfell:

There's a pair of analog inputs, selectable from the remote or "Input" button on the front panel.

LW

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #51 of 412
@ tianguis

The Meitner Bidat is a great DAC.
If the DA7.2x do a good job against the Bidat, that would be fantastic.

Please let the DA7.2x many hours burn-in before shoot-out and please tell us exactly how this new baby sounds.

Thanks for any description about the new DA7.2x.

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #52 of 412
Supersonic:

I'm aware of burn-in, although the topology of the 7.2x doesn't include op-amps, which take a very long time to burn in. So far, I've got 100 hours on it. I haven't noticed any big change in the sound compared to the changes in Zhaolu 2.0 after burn-in. Still sounds great, there's been no going back and forth (sound-wise) as in lots of digital gear I've broken in.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #53 of 412
Hi Larry, did you use external headphone amp for your HD600? I would like to know how good the RCA output on 7.2x is, since I will be using it to feed by STAX SRM313.

Thanks

PoJen

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #54 of 412
Thanks Larry for your even-headed and cautious observations about the CityPulse. I am extremely interested in this unit. Looking forward to any additional thoughts you have, esp. when compared to the mighty Meitner. If the 7.2 even comes close, that would do it for me.

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #55 of 412
Hi Larry,

Your observation found DA7.2 is better than your modded Zhaolu D2.0 in every way. Can you give us the magnitude of these differences, like 10-20% better. Have you also compared your D2.0 with the Meitner ?

Thanks.
580smile.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #56 of 412
PoJen:

I don't use an external headphone amp.
If you are referring to the volume-controlled RCA outputs of the 7.2, they are not nearly as good as the discrete analog outputs. I tried using the 7.2 as a pre-amp and it's so-so compared to my TacT, although it's better than many pre's I've used.

Bordins:

I don't like to use percentages when describing improvements as one person's 10% may be another's 40%. My impression of the improvement is that it's very noticeable. Since better sound is the goal (?
tongue.gif
) any improvement is important to me. I find the performance of the 7.2 significantly better than the Zhaolu, although someone with a less-resolving system may not feel the differences are that big.
I haven't compared the 2.0 to the Meitner and it's out on loan so won't be available Saturday.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #57 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by tianguis
PoJen:
I don't use an external headphone amp.
If you are referring to the volume-controlled RCA outputs of the 7.2, they are not nearly as good as the discrete analog outputs. I tried using the 7.2 as a pre-amp and it's so-so compared to my TacT, although it's better than many pre's I've used.

Thanks for the reply. I mean how does 7.2x do as a pure DAC. (is that you refer to as "discrete analog out?) Being said eariler, I don't care about the headphone out/pre amp features on the 7.2x. I mainly focus on its DAC. From what you described, I think I might jump in and get it
600smile.gif

PoJen

Sep 1, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #58 of 412
Pojen:

My posts about the 7.2 only apply to its use as a DAC. In that regard, it's great. I'll be posting more as I compare it as a DAC with other stand-alone DAC's.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Sep 1, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #59 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by pojen_h@hotmail.
Thanks for the reply. I mean how does 7.2x do as a pure DAC. (is that you refer to as "discrete analog out?) Being said eariler, I don't care about the headphone out/pre amp features on the 7.2x. I mainly focus on its DAC. From what you described, I think I might jump in and get it
600smile.gif

PoJen

Im also considering it.
However I will have to void warranty and put a BNC on it and get rid of those cheap nasty analog RCAs. While Im at it I will disconnect the analog in and variable analog out (I wont use)

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #60 of 412
I was planning on using it attached to my computer. I was wondering if I can use the discrete analog outputs but have the volume controlled at my computer. Right now I don't have a pre-amp, but am looking for a good one to get. Also, would this work with a D-2.0 or only a 7.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back