A New Budget IEM! JVC HA-FX102! (updated for 2015)
Jul 8, 2015 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Surg

New Head-Fier
Review: JVC HA-FX102 XX series (updated for 2015)

Details:

Cost- $15 - $20 US dollars, purchased from Amazon Market

Driver size- 11mm neodymium magnet, Frequency Response- 5 Hz – 23,000 Hz

Features- Explosive sound featuring “Extreme Bass Port”

Cord length- 1.2m (3.94 ft) L-connector

3 size ear pieces- s,m,l

So I’ve been searching around head-fi for a bit now and couldn’t find anything on these recently released pair of iem’s I came across after searching for the jvc fx3x. I haven’t been around Head-fi for a while so I will give a bit of background on my sound preferences below. Also, please forgive me as I’m no pro at terminology and wording but I’ll do my best to imitate the pro’s I’ve seen here.

My Preferences: I prefer a warmer sound signature with solid sparkling highs and deep bass. Detailed mids is nice. My previously owned iems are the following: Monsters turbine series: gold, copper. Iv’e also owned the JVC fx700, JVC fxt90, Nu-force NE-700x, Apple earpods and I currently own the Hifiman Re-262. The XX series I currently own are the JVC fx101 and JVC fx102. I have cheaper JVC iem’s that made me prefer the JVC’s sound signature over the other comparatively high priced iems. Their deeper bass and detailed mids was something I found rarely in cheaper earphones such as the marshmallow line.  I also preferred the NE-700x and re262, both very different in sound capabilities.

Packaging: The package comes as a not disturbingly secured enclosure contrary to the previous XX models released. The struggle to open my JVC fx101 was too real. I needed one large scissors for the fx101 model. Introducing the new JVC fx102 model! Where opening a package with your bare hands has become an innovation. Seriously JVC, there was a war with your older packaging. Moving on, inside you will find the iem’s wrapped securely and different ear piece sizes available. A hidden safety guide is even available just behind the inside enclosure! Please Note: this iem does not include a casing unlike the fx1x and fx3x.

Build and Fit: Bulky is one way to describe this iem. The build is quite solid although not top-notch. It has a solid feel but looks very rubbery. The cords are thick enough to feel secured and the L connector is strong. Fit doesn’t seem to effect the overall sound quality by much just be sure to have a proper seal. Deeper insertion may not improve or degrade sound quality. Size and weight doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem when sitting still but for commuting, it could get rather annoying as they tend to loosen out of the ears. Comfort is rather awkward because of the iem’s rigid build. If they are not properly placed in the ear, the edgy rough sides will make contact with your ear and can be irritating after a while. To avoid this, be sure to have them straightened out properly.

Source: Apple IPod Touch 5

Characteristics: When I first purchased this iem, (before use) my initial expectation for it was an overall V shaped sound signature with a very slow frequency response. I was very surprised an 11mm driver was put into this cheap earphone and it’s the first of this size that I’ve ever tried so I had to give it a shot. When I received my pair, I was met with a surprise. Out of the box (No burn in), one way to summarize the sound is with one word and that is “Big”. The sound of the 11mm driver definitely delivers on its supposed size. The sound reminds me that of the fx700 but more smooth overall. The width, depth and height are on point but nothing too overwhelming especially if compared to the re262’s soundstage when amped. The warmth and organic sound can definitely be expected from these. Head-stage potential here should definitely be noted along with potential imaging. A sense of air and space exist here. It’s simply impressive for an iem this cheap to boast this type of quality. Note:  If you’re looking for accuracy, look elsewhere as these are focused toward a fun sound.

Initial impressions: Coming straight out of my iPod touch 5, the bass sounds rather lean. The bass extends well into the deeper frequencies (unusual for this price range) and can be heard with a soft rumble. The bass is not completely thick and the mid-bass is not extremely invasive unlike most other bassy budget earphones at this price range. It seems to focus more on its lower frequencies rather than the mid bass which is interesting but expected for JVC iems. One could definitely consider these as bass-head iems more so than the fx101. There seems to be a void of lower bass especially when I’m listening to the right side. Perhaps my pair is a bit defective and has a mismatched sound output.

The mids itself is surprisingly full but it is definitely V shaped. It has a fun dynamic aspect in this area similar to the nuforce ne700x but more lean. Bass can sometimes overwhelm the mids but not the highs. On certain tracks, the mids will shine much more due to the enhanced upper registers and dynamics. The mids itself stands relatively strong with the rest of the frequency but cannot handle higher volume pre-burn in.

The Highs are best described as edgy and smooth. Sibilance can definitely be heard on brighter tracks and somewhere within the 5k- 10k frequencies; a similar treble peak (the FX700 famous treble peak) can be noticed (not as bad). Details in the Highs are decent and the speed of the highs is what caught me by surprise. For an iem that has no burn-in, it’s relatively quick. This allows the JVC’s to catch more detail than its predecessors and perhaps even surpass the fx700 when fully burnt in. Treble is smooth and not extremely ear-piercing but the treble spike in the 5k-10k range remains a problem when trying to listen at higher volumes more than 60%. I’ve also noticed minimal hissing probably due to the enhanced highs but maybe it’s just my source.

Burning-in:  5 hours into listening, the overall sound quality has become smoother but also more focused. At first, I thought it was too focused because of the size of the driver but the more I listened, the better they sounded. The sound was big and smooth. The timbre improved a little in the vocals and in the bass, but the highs sounded a bit warm. The whole sound is more solid, natural, controlled and highs are a bit more tamed. Overall it has improved in its sound quality. I don’t really plan to rush burning them in any time soon so perhaps anyone else that decides to pick them up can tell me how they sound once they’ve been burnt in fully.

JVC fx101 vs JVC fx102

Conclusion: For an earphone at this price range, the JVC’s have the best to offer. A word of warning for people who have purchased from JVC, they tend to make mismatched sound products and can sound different at times especially if defective. I took a dive and I didn’t end up too lucky but it was still worth it considering the sound and cheapness. Overall, I would definitely recommend this iem as I feel it is far beyond capable when fully burnt in. The fun sound signature is definitely comparable to more expensive sets.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 35
Nice coverage. I picked up the 202 model with the mic and more or less agree with all of your comments, except those concerning treble. For a JVC I found them remarkably smooth and restrained without any simblance. Kind of dull up top actually. Maybe that's a result of the added mic?

I ended up sanding down the edges of the detailing on the housing because it was so exceptionally sharp. No idea what JVC was thinking there, as everything else about the build is pretty good.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 35
Nice coverage. I picked up the 202 model with the mic and more or less agree with all of your comments, except those concerning treble. For a JVC I found them remarkably smooth and restrained without any simblance. Kind of dull up top actually. Maybe that's a result of the added mic?

I ended up sanding down the edges of the detailing on the housing because it was so exceptionally sharp. No idea what JVC was thinking there, as everything else about the build is pretty good.

Thanks for the read B9Scrambler! The build is indeed weird because of the sharpness on the edging of the housing which can cause irritation if placed wrong. Sanding down the edges is a really nice idea... why didn't I think about that haha. 

On the other hand,I can definitely pick up treble spikes in the higher registers and I could make out a bit of sibilance although not enough to destroy the overall listening experience.

These will definitely benefit from burn-in as they sound like they are lacking in the highs and mids. 10 hours in and they are already sounding better! Impressive headstage, no-doubt.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 35
So just giving a quick update to anyone thinking about purchasing these IEMs, they are definitely above their price tags. I can’t believe what I’m hearing on these. About 20 hours in and most of the distortion and mids being overwhelmed is simply disappearing. Bass has gotten deeper and detail retrieval is stunning. Timbre is on a whole new level from anything I have ever heard and soundstage is simply gorgeous.  In orchestras, instruments can be picked up in different locations and they all have their own unique timbre.

For the price I paid for these, I’m ranking them over more of my other expensive IEMs. These just sound amazing. With just the small amount of burn-in I have on them, it’s really hard to believe JVC would take the time to make a budget IEM sound this good.

That or I’m the only one hearing wonderful sounds in these.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 35
  So just giving a quick update to anyone thinking about purchasing these IEMs, they are definitely above their price tags. I can’t believe what I’m hearing on these. About 20 hours in and most of the distortion and mids being overwhelmed is simply disappearing. Bass has gotten deeper and detail retrieval is stunning. Timbre is on a whole new level from anything I have ever heard and soundstage is simply gorgeous.  In orchestras, instruments can be picked up in different locations and they all have their own unique timbre.

For the price I paid for these, I’m ranking them over more of my other expensive IEMs. These just sound amazing. With just the small amount of burn-in I have on them, it’s really hard to believe JVC would take the time to make a budget IEM sound this good.

That or I’m the only one hearing wonderful sounds in these.

Would you consider these to be "basshead" IEMs?  Extreme explosives typically are.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 35

Would you consider these to be "basshead" IEMs?  Extreme explosives typically are.

When I first listened to these, they sounded like they were lacking some bass, particularly in the mid bass and lower bass region (even for XX series). The whole frequency sounded somewhat lean. After some period of burn-in, the bass has become more solid and is a little more controlled. It’s easier to make out the lows without punishing the rest of the frequencies although it doesn’t really sound bloated in most cases. I would consider it as “basshead” level, given that the lows are more pronounced than usual. 

However, I wouldn't let that one word change the way I think of how capable these are.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 35
Thanks for having the nuts to review these on head fi. I keep buying other iem to find something better than these. Even though my fx3x have over all richer sound, these fx102 are the funnest head gear I have right now. I wish they cost more so I wouldn't have to be embaressed for enjoying them so much. I can't help it, I put them in and I just start to grin :)
So I bought a second pair yesterday. I could really use one more iem with a smidge less highs and a touch more sub bass. That's what the fx3x is already, but just not as fun. These are so cheap I am thinking of experimenting on modding some... Screen removal, bass port expansion, obviously differnt tips.
PS. Filed mine down the first day, now they are comfy.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 35
Thanks for having the nuts to review these on head fi. I keep buying other iem to find something better than these. Even though my fx3x have over all richer sound, these fx102 are the funnest head gear I have right now. I wish they cost more so I wouldn't have to be embaressed for enjoying them so much. I can't help it, I put them in and I just start to grin :)
So I bought a second pair yesterday. I could really use one more iem with a smidge less highs and a touch more sub bass. That's what the fx3x is already, but just not as fun. These are so cheap I am thinking of experimenting on modding some... Screen removal, bass port expansion, obviously differnt tips.
PS. Filed mine down the first day, now they are comfy.

These JVCs are a lot of fun, no doubt, but if you have the opportunity get the KZ ZS1. I've never enjoyed a budget basshead iem so much. I've got a lot of them too, including almost the entire XX iem series. The ZS1 gives you a true subwoofer effect. It's pretty bad@$$.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #9 of 35
These JVCs are a lot of fun, no doubt, but if you have the opportunity get the KZ ZS1. I've never enjoyed a budget basshead iem so much. I've got a lot of them too, including almost the entire XX iem series. The ZS1 gives you a true subwoofer effect. It's pretty bad@$$.

How's the fit on the ZS1?  Can they be worn cable down?

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 35
  How's the fit on the ZS1?  Can they be worn cable down?

Their fit will be hit or miss depending on your ear. For me, I can quite literally wear them for nearly my entire 8 hour work shift without any discomfort. Unfortunately they are designed for cable-up use only and use memory wire. Admittedly it's a pain at first, but they used a high quality wire. Once it's set, you'll never have to adjust it again. It's also very receptive to minor adjustments and holds it place very well, so it's easy to set. Worth the hassle for the bass they output imo. It's very addictive.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 35
can you guys help me choose a budget bass IEM? I'm considering hafx3x and hafx102? (Or others, including JVC FX101, Sound Magic E10, Sennheiser CX300-II). I saw aafanatic owned both (and were/ are currently listening to the fx3x)

The reason: I recently bought a pair of Trinity Delta Hybrids,  which are supposed to be audiophile quality IEMs. Beautiful clarity...but they just don't have enough bass! Ya know what I mean?!

The old pair: I had a pair of V-Moda IEMs that I bought from Virgin music store, but the cable broke, that's what I'm replacing, They had really good bass - probably the quality wasn't technically good, but the bass levels brought a smile to my face. The music sounded like it had a subwoofer.

My preference: I like the subwoofer effect, but I think I'd prefer not have an overwhelming level of bass - more like a subwoofer in a car with the subwoofer amplifier gain turned up 1/2 way, not all the way. But I want that kick!

I'm afraid the fx3x will have too much bass for me. And I'm worried that the fx102 will not have enough punch. And I don't think the Sound Magic E10 will have enough bass.

Can you help me understand the diffferent qualities of each, which one you prefer and why? 

Your help is appreciated.

James

ps I'm considering the KZ ZS1 as a second buy based on B9Scrambler's comments. I don't mind having thumping bass in a second pair. How do they compare to the JVC XX series??

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 35

I'm afraid the fx3x will have too much bass for me. And I'm worried that the fx102 will not have enough punch. And I don't think the Sound Magic E10 will have enough bass.

Your help is appreciated.

James

ps I'm considering the KZ ZS1 as a second buy based on B9Scrambler's comments. I don't mind having thumping bass in a second pair. How do they compare to the JVC XX series??

I find the 202 (102 with a mic) to be notably bassier than the FX3X. The FX3X is bassy, but not up to basshead levels in my opinion (unless eq'd....then they thump with the best of em). Even still I would take the FX3X over any of the XX series iems any day for their refinement, soundstage, and general smoothness to their sound.

The ZS1 is bassier than anything I've heard to date. The best part? It's not sloppy bass. Mids and treble are VERY relaxed, but it doesn't matter. That bass is just too much fun. Don't buy into the ZS1 expected a technical wonder, but a fun, stupidly bassy experience.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 35
Hi,

The only IEM experience so far I have is with the Xiaomi Pistons 3 and the Xiaomi Pistons my brother has lent me, and although they have more bass than my earbuds (Edifier H180/H185 and VE Monk) they lack the treble quantity an quality of my current favourite bud, the Edifier H185.

As I really like bass but also highs, will the JVC HA-FX102 provide this V shaped sound I'm looking for or are highs also rolled off in JVC? If it helps, the sound I want to get for my portable device is the same I have at home with my Beyerdynamic DT770.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 35
I don't have experience with the DT770s but I do think the JVC HA-FX 102 and the HA-FX3X both have great bass and treble.
The HA-FX102 is easily available for $15 or less and easier to find a "real" not "fake" version. I ended up getting the HA-FX3X from Japan for around $60, but after buying two fakes it became worth it to buy from Japan for this paticular model, and the HA-FX1X as well. I would recommend getting the 102 to try it out. they are cheap and easy to get. I have three pair myself. 
I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :wink:

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 35
Thanks for your answer... I'll buy from Amazon so I hope they are "real".

I'm from Europe and here the prices are a bit higher due to VAT, but they are still quite cheap compared to other IEMs. I have the following options:
  1. HA-FX102 for 18€
  2. HA-FX101 for 20€
  3. HA-FX40 for 20€
  4. HA-FX1X for 32€
  5. HA-FX3X (Japan import) for 50€

Which one would you recommend me? Is HA-FX1X worth it's double price over HA-FX102 and HA-FX3X is worth almost it's triple price?

Maybe this veiled sound I get from the Xiaomis is the typical sound of IEMs compared to buds which give a much open sound, do you know if JVC highs are in general crispier and more extended that Xiaomi highs?

Happy New Year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back