A New Budget IEM! JVC HA-FX102! (updated for 2015)
Jan 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #16 of 35
This is good research, Chompy.
I have found it difficult to find a HA-FX1X that is NOT fake. The sound Quality of the HA-FX3X is not 3 times better than the HA-FX102. I would highly recommend getting the 102 first. 20$ is a fair price for those. Get them from a trusted vendor. If you love the 102s then we can talk about th HA-FX3X and why you should or should not get them as well:wink:

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #17 of 35
Thanks aafanatic,

HA-FX102 are directly sold by Amazon, so I think that's a great warranty... How should I know if they are fake?

Do they need burning for opening their sound? As I said I'm worried for them to have treble rolled off (as what I'm experienced with both Xiaomis) and I've read that in example HA-FX1X improved in this area after some burning.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #18 of 35
Luckily the 102s are not faked as often because they cost less and are less in demand. The 3x and 1X have a cult following and are in demand and cost enough for the effort. Amazon direct is a good bet. You are going to burn them in for best results. I am listening to my 102s right now, and I am grinning from the sound. The highs are not going to become rolled off or veiled from burning them in, don't worry. I didn't want these to be my favorite iem because they are not expensive enough or high tech enough. I just love the way they sound. I love good bass, but without high hats and snares its boring :wink:

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 35
You have convinced me... I should have them next Monday
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #20 of 35
Ok then, I've just received my pair of HA-FX102... Out of the box it has been a disappointment, the sound I get from them is muddy and veiled, nothing compared to my DT770, the only way to improve this area is without fully inserting them in my ear channel, but then bass is lost.

I'll start the burning process hopping as some of you say sound improves over time.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #21 of 35
Leave them playing loud music or frequency sweeps that will beat on them. Also try different tip fittings.
My next thought is they may be knock offs, which is how knocks offs sound. Did they come in a card board and plastic box or a hard plastic impossible to open  shell?

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #22 of 35
They came in a card board and plastic box (as your image), I bought directly from Amazon so I think they are real...

After 20 hours of burning them (using pink noise) highs seem to have improved, although they are still far from my taste, I'll give them another day of burning and then I'll try with the other tips included (but medium size fitted ok in my ears).

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #23 of 35
@Chompy,
I'm sorry that they are not what you were hoping for ;-( That is definitely one part of the Head-Fi experience. The good news is that if you end up not liking them we saved you money, because all the JVC xtreme iem are similar. If you do end up liking them ( which I hope you will) there is an uncomfortable sharp edge that rubbed on the bottom of my ear that I sanded off with a nail file. They ended up very comfortable after that. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #24 of 35
Don't worry aafanatic, maybe is just as simply as IEMs are not for me: the three that I've listened so far don't suit my tastes... They have a nice bass that I really like, but there's something in the mids and in the highs that I don't sounds completely ok to me.

Anyway, thanks for all your help :wink:

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #25 of 35
I bet most iem held up against the DT770 would crumble and fail ;-#
I am burning in some HA-FXH30s as we speak.

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #26 of 35
  I bet most iem held up against the DT770 would crumble and fail ;-#
I am burning in some HA-FXH30s as we speak.

FXH30 represent!!!

On a relevant note, I pulled out the FR202 (102 with a mic) today for a listen. I wish they were a little more energetic and less crispy/brittle in the treble, but that bass sure does bump!

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #27 of 35
B9Scrambler,
thanks for backing me up on the HA-FX202s/201s. I thought I was taking crazy pills. The treble is harsh in those, right? The FXHs are near perfect. I enjoy the FXT200ltd a little more because they have a little more bass to support the sound stage then my FXHs at the same 50 hr burn in. Both are delightful, though. 
   I like the HA-FX3X/FX33X better than the 202/102, but the sound signature is similar enough to not waste your money if you don't like the 102s you probably won't like the FX3Xs either:wink: 

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #28 of 35
  B9Scrambler,

thanks for backing me up on the HA-FX202s/201s. I thought I was taking crazy pills. The treble is harsh in those, right?

The FXHs are near perfect. I enjoy the FXT200ltd a little more because they have a little more bass to support the sound stage then my FXHs at the same 50 hr burn in. Both are delightful, though. 

I like the HA-FX3X/FX33X better than the 202/102, but the sound signature is similar enough to not waste your money if you don't like the 102s you probably won't like the FX3Xs either:wink: 

I don't necessarily find the treble harsh, but I do find it a bit grainy around the edges. Still way better than the model it replaced which could get quite harsh.

I agree the treble on the FXH is fantastic. Very smooth with tons of detail. The FXH could use a larger soundstage, but bass quantity is perfect for me. If you haven't tried them with the cable over-ear, give that a whirl. I found it allowed for a much better seal and improved bass (both quantity and quality). 

The FX3X is still one of my favorite iems, and by far my favorite from the XX series. They remind me a lot of the FXT90 but they're warmer, smoother, and of course have more bass. Is the FX33X an improvement over the 3X? I've been humming and hawing over buying them but they still use the same sized carbon nano-tube drivers so I was afraid they would sound the same, but with new color schemes.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #29 of 35
:popcorn:The fx33x are the exact same but with different color schemes.
I have three pair of the fx3x, one I use, and two in the box as back ups. I only got one of the fx33x after I found it was the same as the 3x and seemed to be readily available, I didn't feel the need to stock pile. I keep in the box back ups of the fx102, fx101,and the fx3x,
I havn't tried the fxh over ear yet, I will do that tonight :wink:
Thanks for the suggestion.
So where is the Hype Train for the FXH?
:popcorn:

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #30 of 35
:popcorn:The fx33x are the exact same but with different color schemes.
I have three pair of the fx3x, one I use, and two in the box as back ups. I only got one of the fx33x after I found it was the same as the 3x and seemed to be readily available, I didn't feel the need to stock pile. I keep in the box back ups of the fx102, fx101,and the fx3x,
I havn't tried the fxh over ear yet, I will do that tonight :wink:
Thanks for the suggestion.
So where is the Hype Train for the FXH?
popcorn.gif

That's too bad. Not worth importing then, until my FX3X crap out that is.

I tried to get some hype going, but they've fallen into a bit of a niche category. I've tried some really nice iems over the last year such as Titans 1, 3, 5 and the B3 Pro 1, yet the FXH30 are still my favorite earphone, though the Titan 3 came close. Heck, I like them more than my AKG K553 Pro....

Let me know what you think of them worn over ear. Also, if you haven't already tried this, toss on some wide bore tips if you have any that fit. The stock tips hold them back considerably imo. They need something with a wide bore.

Going back to the FX102, I'm still super annoyed at the downgraded housing. Those sharp edges and ditching the rubber edging from the 101 was such a big oversight. With the same ergonomics as the 101 and the thick cable JVC upgraded to they would be much easier to recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back