A more comfortable alternative to the Dunu DN-1000
Aug 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SSSN

100+ Head-Fier
I used to own the Dunu DN-1000 and loved their sound, but they hurt my ears and were uncomfortable. I really wanted to love them, I tried countless combinations of tips and spacers, but it was no use.

Now I'm looking for an IEM that has a similar sound signature (bass slam!), similar technicality and a more comfortable fit.

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 19
Bumping this thread for ya, buddy, since you aren't allowed to yet.  Main reason I'm doing this is because I myself do not know the answer to your question, but I have been taking a good hard look at the Dunu DN-1000s and Dunu Titan 1 lately and would liek to see what the folks here on Head Fi have to say about this topic. . .

If you don't mind my asking, how exactly would you classify the sound of the DN-1000, and in what way did you find them uncomfortable?  And did you try any third-party tips?

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 19
The DN-1000 sounded V-shaped to me, but tastefully done so.
Bass is very strong and visceral, but admirably keeps out of the midrange.
The highs can be a bit zingy, but it's still within bounds for me.
It built up an impressive soundstage.

I found them uncomfortable because their housings were too large and heavy.
With maximum spacers and foam tips I could settle on the housings being completely out of the ear canal, but isolation and stability suffered from that.
The silicone ear tips necessitated deeper insertion for proper seal and that hurt immedietely.

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 19
  The DN-1000 sounded V-shaped to me, but tastefully done so.
Bass is very strong and visceral, but admirably keeps out of the midrange.
The highs can be a bit zingy, but it's still within bounds for me.
It built up an impressive soundstage.

I found them uncomfortable because their housings were too large and heavy.
With maximum spacers and foam tips I could settle on the housings being completely out of the ear canal, but isolation and stability suffered from that.
The silicone ear tips necessitated deeper insertion for proper seal and that hurt immedietely.

Ah, I see.  Do you have any particular peculiarities to the size or shape of your ear canals that you think caused those issues, or do you think it could be an issue for anyone who uses them?

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 19
My ear and earcanal size is slightly below average and my left ear has a real tendency to push out straight-barrel IEMs. Such IEMs always stick out of my left ear further than out of my right ear.
The Dunu's size and weight are still peculiar and reviewers agree. I never heard anyone specifically praising their comfort 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 19
  My ear and earcanal size is slightly below average and my left ear has a real tendency to push out straight-barrel IEMs. Such IEMs always stick out of my left ear further than out of my right ear.
The Dunu's size and weight are still peculiar and reviewers agree. I never heard anyone specifically praising their comfort 
rolleyes.gif

Ah, I see, that's good to know, I can probably rule them out then as my first pair of somewhat more serious IEM's.

Which is a good point for me to make.  I have basically no experience with IEM's, so I can't really recommend anything in particular to you in response to your original post :frowning2:  Which is unfortunate, because NOBODY ELSE SEEMS TO BE TRYING TO CONTRIBUTE HERE AND HELP YOU OUT *facepalms*

I do know the HiFiMan He-600 Songbirds (or maybe it was RE-600, I forget) are supposed to be quite good, but they have a much flatter response all through the lows and mids, not really as bass-punchy as what you seem tom be looking for.  I'd try recommending the Etymotic ER4PT but if you have such issues with comfort with IEM's, then we can rule those out, unfortunately.

What about ones that don't isolate so well?  If you're okay with that, you could consider the Dunu Titan 1.  It's supposed to be far more comfortable than the DN-1000, to sound amazing, etc.  But doesn't have much isolation at all for a pair of IEM's because it's somewhat peculiar for an IEM in that it has a semi-open design.  On the other hand, as a result it's supposed to give a better soundstage than what you typically get from in-ears.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 19
Maybe try the fidue a83? They might be a bit big, but they are a similar design(hybrid) and aren't straight barrel.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 19
The Fidues indeed look good, but they are very expensive and not directly available here, which means I have to pay even more for shipping and taxes. Warranty will also be an issue. I'd really like to avoid an import.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 19
  The Fidues indeed look good, but they are very expensive and not directly available here, which means I have to pay even more for shipping and taxes. Warranty will also be an issue. I'd really like to avoid an import.

Sorry! I didn't know the price off the top of my head. I thought it was around 200 usd, mb

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 19
I found the following offers for the Fidues in Germany:

~$320 for a used one from Amazon Marketplace
~$360 for a new one from Spain
~$310 for a new one from Hong Kong (add ~$70 tax and import fee)

Those are pretty crapty deals.

As of now, I'm debating two options mainly.

Settle for a Shure SE215 which has near perfect ergonomics or try the Dunu DN-1000 again and play around even more with the fit, maybe getting third-party foam tips.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 19

Settle for a Shure SE215 which has near perfect ergonomics or try the Dunu DN-1000 again and play around even more with the fit, maybe getting third-party foam tips.

I wasn't much a fan of my se215, not nearly enough treble or tight enough bass. Very "in your head" sounding as well. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 19

I've heard that third-party foam tips from JVC make the DN-1000 far more comfortable.  I forget which model of tips I read are the best to use, but you could do some searching online and find out what people are saying.

The Shure SE215 would be okay, but wouldn't SOUND nearly as good as the DN-1000, most likely :frowning2:

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back