A Modest Proposal: Charge members a subscription fee.
May 8, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #16 of 32
Forget the layout, I can turn down the brightness and get rid of the ads. My spellcheck also still works just fine. What I want back is the functionality - the ability to edit thread titles, BBCode, pming by name (instead of having to find the user's page first), and so forth. 

May 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
Forget the layout, I can turn down the brightness and get rid of the ads. My spellcheck also still works just fine. What I want back is the functionality - the ability to edit thread titles, BBCode, pming by name (instead of having to find the user's page first), and so forth. 

I have the problem with PM, which is again really time consuming.

May 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #18 of 32

Quote:

I have the problem with PM, which is again really time consuming.

I really like the new threaded PM, makes it easy to keep track of multiple PM's.

I am getting tired of the redundant clicks to do what took one click in the older PHP based forum.

I'm also so used to the older UBB codes, that it makes posting images and editing tedious.

May 9, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
She's one hot singer I should say, what's the voice, Diana Krall or Norah Jones type.

From my big collection of female artists I can't really relate any of them to Hayley's voice. Her voice is very clear...precise  to my ears...smooth as butta I tells ya. Melt my brain type smooth. Her CD "Odyssey" has a good mix of songs. "Prayer" is also great IMO.

May 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
It seems to me following a HF event in Atlanta that no one really likes the new software.  It also seems clear that HeadFi desires to make more money.  So why don't we do a poll or a petition and see who is willing to pay $25 to $30 per year via Paypal to Head-Fi in exchange for the older, well liked software and fewer ads.

This way HeadFi benefits and yet we keep the forum with the better software.

I'm in.  Who else is in?

I'm not. The member of the trade sponsorships should be more than enough to fund this site. I thought it was a community rather than a business. 

The falling off of visitor numbers should be enough to motivate positive changes to the user interface. 

May 9, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #21 of 32
Ctrl + Right Click for spell check.

Oh okay, thanks.

May 9, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
well, we get unlimited PM's in the new forum...first thing I like so far, great news
atsmile.gif

Besides that it took away one of the benefits we contributing members got as a result of paying $$.
First charge for an additional benefit, then later giving it away for free does not look like great marketing to me.

May 9, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #23 of 32

Quote:
The new layout is driving me away... I would spend 1-3hrs per day on Head-Fi... I think I've been on a combined total of 1hr since the change.

Same here. Don't know if that's a bad thing or not, concerning my wallet :)

May 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
The new layout is driving me away... I would spend 1-3hrs per day on Head-Fi... I think I've been on a combined total of 1hr since the change.

spelll chek workes foor mee ef ey presss tha contral cey!! thanx

Quote:
Same here, I feel like I spend a whole lot less time on the forums since the change.  The new forum navigation is a major step backwards and I feel there is less enticing me to discover other peoples posts, impressions, and equipment now.  I can't stand how my main page has all these 'suggested' products like Logitech computer speakers....seriously????

This is absolutely true for me as well. I used to just browse posts, read long threads about stuff just to learn or find interesting info even if the particular topic wasn't directly relevant to me. I haven't done that at all since the new layout and I'm guessing that if the admins have site statistics they can see this. Ironc that the new layout might mean fewer page views and ad impressions!

Anyway, as far as the OP...that seems like a stretch and also a way to kill the site darn quick. Pay just to read and participate in a forum? Rofls...this isn't the internet of 1992 with Prodigy and AOL. I always thought it was wierd that Head-Fi was so heavily monetized versus just about any other forum I've used, maybe I don't 'get out' enough though, but it never got in the way of using the forum so I never really cared. Now this is the second site redesign in a few weeks (Anandtech main page being the other) where it seems like a major step backwards in presentation and usability. Hopefully the site admins will hear our pleas :) The thing to never forget is that a forum is NOTHING without users, we ARE the reason for the forum to exist and create the content too!

May 14, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #26 of 32
The new software is really a problem for me.  I have really liked the folks I have met at local events but I'm a little disappointed this place has become commercial in this fashion like the Home Theater Forum.

May 15, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
The new software is really a problem for me.  I have really liked the folks I have met at local events but I'm a little disappointed this place has become commercial in this fashion like the Home Theater Forum.

No one likes change, TwoTrack, but change is inevitable and unstoppable.  The subscriptions are back up and running so you can follow your threads and the various problems are getting fixed.  There's no going back so you might as well just enjoy the site as well as you can.  You'll get used to it.

The only thing I noticed was that it's probably a good idea to be very careful of how much information you provide for Huddler's use.  They have, for instance, a "look for your friends" section that asks you to import your entire address book.  I don't know who would do that, but the same caution should applied for linking to facebook or anywhere else. 

USG

May 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 32
Well perhaps there is no going back but many have told me that hate the new GUI.  I think there would be value in going back from a community satisfaction standpoint.

I don't see why we can't find a way to generate some money for the site while still keeping the older, better GUI. 

If we absolutely must do this then I would prefer that the threads go all the way across the page.  Why not allow folks to place their ads horizontal across the page?  As it exists now, there is too much dead space.

May 19, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #29 of 32
I'd gladly pay a fee at this point if it meant having the forums in a usable state again.  I just can't stand this new layout :frowning2:

May 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 32
I saw the writing on the wall a while back and stopped frequenting headfi back when they were hell bent on filling up 1/3 of our horizontal space with advertising - on the LEFT FREAKING SIDE, which rendered all mobile browsing completely useless.

I came back today to do some more research as I came into some money recently, but this is just a joke.  Headfi has devolved over the years from a professional, intelligent, caring forum to what is a hard to use, hard to look at mess which has it's main focus of making money above caring about it's users.

There is a simple solution that will force headfi to fix things - everyone simply stop clicking on the advertisements and be sure to NOT click through when you make a purchase.

Apparently, money is the only thing that headfi cares about so that is the only effective solution.  Make them feel the pain in their wallet and maybe they will finally listen to us.

EDIT:  And BTW, I used to be a contributer to the site.  I have no problem paying for a quality product, but unfortunately that is not what the forum currently is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back