A mini PPA v2,my first portable attempt.
Feb 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #77 of 103
Have you tested charging the batteries with just that PCB alone?

Since it only seems to be a protection PCB not an actual battery management PCB

I'm not sure that is accurate, I am fairly certain that both battery PCB's that I am using regulate the charge as well as the discharge, however I don't think either of them regulate the charge current. I will need to look at the dada sheets of the controller ICs to be sure.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #78 of 103
Have you tested charging the batteries with just that PCB alone?

Since it only seems to be a protection PCB not an actual battery management PCB

I'm not sure that is accurate, I am fairly certain that both battery PCB's that I am using regulate the charge as well as the discharge, however I don't think either of them regulate the charge current. I will need to look at the dada sheets of the controller ICs to be sure.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #79 of 103
Two PCB's?

The wording for some of the protection PCB's for these batteries can be very misleading

example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCB-Charger-for-3-Packs-3-7V-Li-ion-Li-Lithium-18650-Battery-Rechargeable-2-3A-/221118857088?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item337bb5ff80

"Charger PCB" - Although really this is only a protection PCB

Looking through ebay  and various other websites it's pretty much impossible for me to source a charging PCB for an 11.1v pack - only laptop style power bricks which are normally used for higher voltage RC car LIPO battery packs.

This is the type of IC which would be suitable for charging such battery packs which you want to use: http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/10e2/0900766b810e269b.pdf

Evaluation kit version of that IC: http://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/3105

If for some reason I am completely wrong then please school me about my errors :frowning2:

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #80 of 103
Nice stuff!!  This amp maybe a true worthy competitor to Justin's Pico Power.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #81 of 103
Quote:
Two PCB's?

Yes and no. I am using one type of PCB in one amp, and another type in the other amp.

To clarify, Both battery management boards keep the cell pack from over discharging and over charging.

I am trying to test both to decide whitch one i prefer, but either one will work fine.

I have been away from this project for awhile, I will post an update soon.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #82 of 103
Ok, I have been away for a few weeks, and have not been able to work on this much at all in that time.
frown.gif

My job sent me out of state and while i was away I simply did not have any  spare time to work on this.

However, I am back now, and shortly I will be caught up on things at the office that piled up while I was away.

An update is in order! I have the new PCB designs pretty much done, but I am working on a couple of upgrades to the amp that i want to include in the PCB order to keep costs down.

The first is a digital POT that will allow not only volume control, but also allow adjustment of the op-amp and buffer bias settings from a single encoder.

The second is a small DC/DC converter board that will allow this amp to be powered from a USB port, and then paired with a small DAC for a neat little desktop amp.

Both of these are still early in development, but hopefully they will work on the first try....
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #84 of 103
The PPAS was one of the best portable headphone amplifiers I ever owned, imo. Why hasn't this project taken off? A respectably built miniPPAv2 could be thrown together for ~$150 (no basis on that number whatsoever), I'd wager, and it'd slap any commercially produced portable amp that didn't have a price tag more than three times that amount, imo. What would it take to make this happen?

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #86 of 103
Don't tease me like this, Pavel.. Wait. Seriously? No. What are you saying right now?

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #87 of 103
Yep, awesome things in my huge container full of components. :p I found 2 PPAS amps, one with 2 9V batteries that I couldn't bring to life and destroyed in the process of trying to fix - salvaged chassis and batteries, that's about it. The other seemed to work, just needed some casework and is now a tiny desktop amp. :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #89 of 103
  Yep, awesome things in my huge container full of components. :p I found 2 PPAS amps, one with 2 9V batteries that I couldn't bring to life and destroyed in the process of trying to fix - salvaged chassis and batteries, that's about it. The other seemed to work, just needed some casework and is now a tiny desktop amp. :)

Oh, alright, so I still need to hand out the pitch forks and rally a mob of miniPPAv2 supporters, it would seem? *grumble grumble*
  Want this one?

Maybe not. PM sent.

I'd make the miniPPAv2 if I could, but I have no clue about amplifying circuits, it'd be like a 3 year long process. But, even if I had a PPAS in my pocket a miniPPAv2 would still be ridiculously awesome. H22, where arrre you, dude?

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #90 of 103
  I'd make the miniPPAv2 if I could, but I have no clue about amplifying circuits, it'd be like a 3 year long process.

I could design one, if there was enough interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back