A little head-fi inspired idea... plausible?
Dec 21, 2008 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

solessthanthree

100+ Head-Fier
So I was reading in the Headphones (full-size) forum and someone was wondering about places to demo headphones.

Then I had an idea-- would we be able to set up a google-earth style interface to search for points of interests? That way people can physically see the distance between them and a place they could try out new equipment. This way we could drop notes/descriptions/reviews/comments too. I know that you can save maps with notes and markers but would it be possible to have a moderated public profile?

I'm just afraid the logistics of the idea may outweigh the convenience-- that is the interest compared to the amount of maintenance required.

If this idea is plausible, I think it could potentially cut down on threads where people ask for opinions on what they should buy next by allowing them to find places where they can actually demo the equipment before buying.

I think this idea would improve the community. Aside from places to demo hardware, meet and event markers could be placed on the map. That way, people can see them at a glance without having the visit and filter through the forums. I think it'd definitely improve turnouts. I for one don't often check the meets forum, but if I saw that one was taking place near me, I'd check it out for sure :]

Anyways, if anyone knows anything about this-- if it were possible or how to do it, I think it would be invaluable to the community (and growth in the community means growth in the economy /sorrywallet
dt880smile.png
)

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 9
It's a great idea, but I fear you'll find the number of physical retailers who demo good headphones is so small as to make it unworkable.

Meets remain the most practical way to hear equipment, even though they are less-than-ideal.

A large google map showing upcoming meet dates/locations/contacts would be pretty useful, I'm sure, but I would wager the only people who would check it would be people who already check the meets forum.

If you're interested in attending a meet, solessthanthree, I think it would help to add your location into your profile.

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I guess you're right. The closest guitar center to my house is about half an hour away and even then there isn't much of a point. None-the-less if there were a spectacular place tucked away somewhere nearby, it'd be nice to know about it. It's nice to dream XD

Thanks for your suggestion about my location, I always thought I set it but I guess I hadn't :] Now I can tinker around in my CP :]

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 9
how about a mini meet in sacramento area
icon10.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Its been talked about several times, but so far none have come up with a fully working solution. And we might never see one.
Until then I suggest searching in the members list on location, and following the meetings sub-forum. Local meetings are a great place to audition new gear.

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 9
solessthanthree, your closest headphone store is the DXC Store in Los Angeles assuming you're in Santa Barbara at the moment. There might be a shop up north but I haven't heard of one.

Also, if you're free at the end of next May, CanJam '09 will be at the Los Angeles Airport Hilton. I'm bringing everything and there should be lots of other great gear, too. Try to make it - you'd have a great time.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Can we have a meet this afternoon in downtown Champaign, IL? I'm lazy and impatient, so I don't feel like going very far or waiting too long...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back