A little dissapointed with my Sennheiser IE7s...What am I doing wrong?
Apr 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

commdiver

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of Sennheiser IE7s from JR.com because they had them on sale for $120 and they received good reviews. I must say, I am a little dissapointed, but am sure I am not doing something correctly since Sennheiser makes quality products. The IEMs are not really blocking out sound. There is certainly a noticable difference over Apple's crappy earbuds, but there is noticable sound coming through. My brother says this is not the case with his Beats by Dr. Dre, so I assume IEMs are supposed to block at least most sound. Talking and noise from the train I took this weekend came through. Am I using the incorrect earpads? Am I doing something incorrectly or missing something? Or am I just expecting too much? Thank you in advance for any help.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Right now I'm using the large double flange tips that came in the box. For me they give a perfect sealed fit, and the extra layer makes it much harder for them to slide out on their own. If that doesn't do it then I guess you are just used to headphones with better isolation. In my opinion I think they are fine, but I definitely am not getting sound pouring in from outside.

Also, getting them positioned right (deep in the canal and centered correctly) is really important. I was surprised to find out they were designed to fit in upside down; I've never seen that but I think It's important to wear them like the guy in the picture in the box is wearing them for the best fit. Oh, and volume matter a lot also; keep it too low and yes you will hear everything outside.

P.S: $120 is a crazy steal for those. JR is authorized so those are definitely legitimate too.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 6
You should get some isolation, moreso than apple's stock buds, but not as much as say, for instance, the Shure SE535s. I have the 7s and they do not block out all ambient noise, but are definitely capable of blocking out noise esp. if get a good seal.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, play around with fit and tips. Make sure you wear them over the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back