A little about the Shozy Alien
Dec 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #513 of 3,124
Thanks for the pics NLNH

I actually plan to buy the piccolino cable for my CIEM's, which I'm prioritizing over getting another amp. Simply because the whole reason behind me getting the Alien was to go ampless in the first place lol. Given how good the Alien sounds on its own, with you vouching for your rig I can only imagine the sound being mesmerizing 

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #515 of 3,124
  Thanks for the pics NLNH

I actually plan to buy the piccolino cable for my CIEM's, which I'm prioritizing over getting another amp. Simply because the whole reason behind me getting the Alien was to go ampless in the first place lol. Given how good the Alien sounds on its own, with you vouching for your rig I can only imagine the sound being mesmerizing 

i can only second your plan! I unfortunately had to sell my piccolino 'cause i needed the funds, but will definitively buy it again! It is a better deal than to stick an amp to the alien.....

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #517 of 3,124
Can anyone gives me dimensions of Alien? I didn't find them anywhere and would like to see how big it's. Thanks.

It is:

110mm - long
60mm - wide  (at its widest point either side of the navigation buttons)
10mm - thick

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #518 of 3,124
small as hell x small as hell x small as hell

It's to the point where I have to worry about my cable dragging the Alien off the table because it's so light

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #519 of 3,124
I'm sure most are familiar with DX50 and Creative Zen external housings.

It's quite small really and as above mentioned light. Like others have mentioned also feels really cool to hold in one hand (for me my left hand)

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #520 of 3,124
Alien sounds better than M1, but M1 is more suited to higher impedance phones (10 ohm output impedance).

Did you have a chance to compare them directly?
I have a pair of 32Ohm Senngrado headphones, which is way too low for 10Ohm output impedance. Are you sure it's the correct value, as the rated headphone impedance is 32-300Ohm?
What is the Alien's output impedance?

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #521 of 3,124
Alien sounds better than M1, but M1 is more suited to higher impedance phones (10 ohm output impedance).

That's hard for me to believe, I've read reviews done with the Shure S215 and other IEMs, although all reviewers mainly used higher impedance headphones.
Output impedance of the Alien has to be pretty low, but I have yet to see some measurements, won't receive mine till 2015.

FYI Hifidiy is planning to release an improved version in a couple of months, completely different design though.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #523 of 3,124
So, Shozy Alien plus some serious portable AMP like Cayin C5 should be more universal solution than Aune M1.
Does Alien have ability to switch to HO to LO, in order to work well with an external AMP?

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #524 of 3,124
I also tried the Alien with the e12a. As the alien doesn't have a line out, you are obviously double amping, which purists will hate, however I really enjoyed the combination.
I felt it definately added to the sound, primarily through being able to keep the volume down on the alien and use the amplifier to control volume.
While this still just amplifies what the alien is putting out, it did seem to avoid the distortion associated with winding the alien amp section up high.

The Alien is just bare bones, no special features or anything.
HO only

Concerning OI, as far is I can remember, the general rule is headphone impedance @1khz / OI > 8, however BAs have quite large frequency swings.
Or to simplify, for idiots like myself, OI should always be 1/8th of headphone imp.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #525 of 3,124
  The Alien is just bare bones, no special features or anything.
HO only

Concerning OI, as far is I can remember, the general rule is headphone impedance @1khz / OI < 8, however BAs have quite large frequency swings.

I think, that simplified (to the bone) design of Alien is what makes it so special and so good at it's price.

The equastion should be headphone impedance @1khz / OI > 8, that's why Aune M1 won't work well with low impedance headphones. Which is strange, as it's got enough power to drive orthos easily, and the orthos from Hifiman and Audeze have low impedance at most. And Shozy should have a really low OI, as it's designed for IEMs propably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back