A little about the Shozy Alien
Jan 6, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #722 of 3,124
  Eureka!!! It seems my J. River and my Mediamonkey rippers weren't compatible with the Alien. I had to download Foobar and rip a cd in WAV. Now I have to rip a few of my favorite cds.

beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #724 of 3,124
  Eureka!!! It seems my J. River and my Mediamonkey rippers weren't compatible with the Alien. I had to download Foobar and rip a cd in WAV. Now I have to rip a few of my favorite cds.

I don't use MediaMonkey to rip CDs, but I do use it to convert all my files to WAV as I load the Alien's card so it's converter works fine if that's of any help

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #725 of 3,124
Got my shipping notice from Massdrop.  Not sure where it is shipping from as no data on USPS yet.  Off to ireland tomorrow night so almost definitely won't have it until I get back next week

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #726 of 3,124
Hey guys, do micro SDXC cards work with this unit? Read somewhere that they don't work, does it have to be SDHC?

Also where's the best place to get one? Saw it at Penon Audio for 190$..

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #728 of 3,124
I had a DX90 unit arrive today, between the two DAP I still prefer Alien with Fidue A83. Don't get me wrong, DX90 / A83 sounds very nice and is probably leading the edge in revealing detail (by a little) but doesn't have the soundstage or organic nature of Alien, the shozy just flows better sounding less strained or effortless. So the claims being made previously about the shozy competing (or out classing) the iBasso or very much truth.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #729 of 3,124
I had a DX90 unit arrive today, between the two DAP I still prefer Alien with Fidue A83. Don't get me wrong, DX90 / A83 sounds very nice and is probably leading the edge in revealing detail (by a little) but doesn't have the soundstage or organic nature of Alien, the shozy just flows better sounding less strained or effortless. So the claims being made previously about the shozy competing (or out classing) the iBasso or very much truth.

Received Massdrop Email today that they are shipping. Cant wait to a/b Shozy/Shure846 VS DX90/Shure846

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #730 of 3,124
Received Massdrop Email today that they are shipping. Cant wait to a/b Shozy/Shure846 VS DX90/Shure846

Awesome, please let us know what you think between the two. To my ears the iBasso sounds a bit held back or processed if that makes sense, like it doesn't flow naturally, but from a detail perspective it does have the upper hand in retrieval and resolution however in a semi aggressive way. Alien on the other hand comes across as a smoother progressive ride.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #732 of 3,124
I am SO tempted, but want to hear how it compares to the HSA Studio, as it would replace that in my obscene DAP arsenal.

Sigh, please stop releasing DAPs.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #733 of 3,124
I am SO tempted, but want to hear how it compares to the HSA Studio, as it would replace that in my obscene DAP arsenal.

Sigh, please stop releasing DAPs.

Having owned two Studio V units for a long time (but both sold now) I think you'll find Alien to sound a little colored compared, not in a bad way, just not as sterile as Studio V can sound. Definitely more like the 3rd Anv over the first black Studio. And again, it just sounds more musical and organic in a sense. Technically areas like separation, dynamics and detail the Shozy can keep up quite easily, The lower price of Alien compared to these DAPs like DX90, Studio V should be disregarded, at least in this case.

Whether it be the stripped down implementation keeping the sound clean or whatever Shozy are using inside this unit.

Without them side by side its awkward but I have no regrets selling the both my Studio V units now having the Shozy around.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #734 of 3,124
Thanks H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back