A little about the Shozy Alien
Jan 2, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #661 of 3,124
I'm still having some issues converting MP3's successfully to a flac or wav that can have all it's tags read.

At first I converted everything in foobar from MP3 to WAV, this was fine. But when I loaded up Winamp and selected the new WAV files as the library it was missing tags (such as Genre, even tho curiously Tag&Rename could see the tags just fine..)

So then a little more reading and I found that FLAC is better for tags than WAV, so I selected a handful of tracks and converted to FLAC (which was more problematic in foobar, a warning message like this was presented (which I never got on WAV conversion);

And then I visited the FLAC website and grabbed the latest version of the Flac Encoder (1.3.1, 2nd from the bottom), and then proceeded to convert successfully, but once again Winamp was not showing tags such as Genre (even tho once again Tag&Rename could see they were there).

I know this is all a little off topic, but surely in time other noobs like me will wish to convert 320kbps MP3 files (of which they have hundreds of gigabytes worth) so that they might be compatible with the Shozy Alien DAP, it makes sense to discuss the various methods available and record such successes here in this thread.

I am now looking for anyone with more knowledge to outline a process that takes a 320kbps MP3 file (or less), convert to either FLAC or WAV, replaygain applied (optional), and most importantly retains their MP3 tags (for use in organising in winamp or some other music software).

Can anyone share their successes?

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #662 of 3,124
Can you make life a little easier on yourself and just make up a set of files in a separate folder for Alien? The way I see it you're causing an unwanted headache. Why not just leave your MP3 files as normal for programs / players you wish to use them with and convert albums you want to use for Alien in an individual folder which is better without tags anyway? By doing so converting everything to FLAC or WAV you're also chewing up storage space like no tomorrow.

I'd just simplicate the process.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #664 of 3,124
It's not a bad idea. Yer basically saying leave the MP3 library as it is (as the tags work fine), find what you want for that day and convert on the fly. Done. LOL I never actually thought of that. Conversion doesn't take too long I guess, tho I bet longer when converting onto a microsdcard.

I will give it a go, I'm basically trying to make everything as speedy as possible for the mornings I do have to work and get out the door asap, I figured a media library that was already converted would be quicker (save playlist/amok playlist copy etc), but your more obvious (doh!) method might be easier.

Will trial it out. Thanks hehehe

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #665 of 3,124
Yeah, just convert say 10 albums and throw them in a folder called 'Alien folders' (on your PC) then tomorrow do another 10, you know, just make it cruisy for yourself. You'll find going up past 30+ plus albums at a time tends to become a bit tedious navigating. I have about 25 on at a time. FLAC 16gb card.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #667 of 3,124

I don't know if that was for me or your shuffle question. But what I'm saying is he doesn't need to convert the files on the micro SD. Just convert (make a duplicate and keep the original MP3 file) throw those files in a folder on the PC, then transfer them at the end onto the card.

Time spare to make the beach, and boy she's hot here in Sydney today!

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #668 of 3,124
I don't know if that was for me or your shuffle question. But what I'm saying is he doesn't need to convert the files on the micro SD. Just convert (make a duplicate and keep the original MP3 file) throw those files in a folder on the PC, then transfer them at the end onto the card.

Time spare to make the beach, and boy she's hot here in Sydney today!

Spot on. That's pretty much the way I did it...

It's 41 down here in Melbourne.. But I'm 40kms from the beach....lucky you:wink:

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #669 of 3,124
I went to the beach yesterday :p (Mona Vale), was nice :)

I hear what yer saying re: conversion process. What my intention was (for the Shozy), was to have  seperate pc software that dealt with the library side of things, this would be my way of deciding what to bung onto the shozy that morning (as opposed to looking through explorer folders). Then make a playlist and use my method previously mentioned before in this thread to get that playlist essentially on the Shozy (without conversion necessary). In the morning I decide what I fancy to listen to for that day via an interface that is better than explorer.

I could as you say do all this from my existing MP3 library right now, except instead of saving that playlist I highlight it all and convert it onto the Shozy. My only fear is converting say 50-70 tracks will take longer than I'd like (especially when converting onto a microsdcard as opposed to hdd or ssd).

EDIT: I think I was behind in my version of foobar, this latest test conversion involving FLAC seemed to work, Genre tags were there whereas before they were not.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #670 of 3,124
  I went to the beach yesterday :p (Mona Vale), was nice :)

I hear what yer saying re: conversion process. What my intention was (for the Shozy), was to have  seperate pc software that dealt with the library side of things, this would be my way of deciding what to bung onto the shozy that morning (as opposed to looking through explorer folders). Then make a playlist and use my method previously mentioned before in this thread to get that playlist essentially on the Shozy (without conversion necessary). In the morning I decide what I fancy to listen to for that day via an interface that is better than explorer.

I could as you say do all this from my existing MP3 library right now, except instead of saving that playlist I highlight it all and convert it onto the Shozy. My only fear is converting say 50-70 tracks will take longer than I'd like (especially when converting onto a microsdcard as opposed to hdd or ssd).

EDIT: I think I was behind in my version of foobar, this latest test conversion involving FLAC seemed to work, Genre tags were there whereas before they were not.

I used to live in Mona Vale...

...that's all...

...nothing relating to the Alien, sorry!

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #671 of 3,124
I'm located considerably close to Mona Vale, that's all you need to know....

On an Alien related note I find it reassuring no-one is having many obstacles navigating the Shozy, it really does seem like OP's concerns were a one off case and of course his early production model. I mean, I can use this thing in the dark without any fuss, I think the buttons on mine have loosened up a little, well, I wouldn't say loosened, more 'settled' in as they're a little easier to press than on open box (this is a plus). Providing you use the edge of your thumb and not the full thumb print I can safely say I've not accidently switched my unit off once.

The only thing I wish for is maybe faster response time, as when you get the navigation down pat you tend to speed up your reaction times. Instead of clicking and waiting 1-2 seconds being able to continually click at a faster rate (if that makes sense) would let you zip through the card quickly.

I think the added pause function was a great idea as I use it often when having a conversation with someone.

All in all I love my Alien, it's absolutely a great unit. Oh, and it sounds pretty good too......

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #672 of 3,124
Does anyone else's 'ring' on the buttons feel a teeny tiny tad loose? Like it ever so slightly has a wobble? I think it's purposeful, I mean each 'corner' of the ring can be pressed down, so it has to be 'movable', I dunno.. I just thought it would be solid as hell, I can see mine move a teeny bit without actually pressing the button down properly.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #673 of 3,124
  Does anyone else's 'ring' on the buttons feel a teeny tiny tad loose? Like it ever so slightly has a wobble? I think it's purposeful, I mean each 'corner' of the ring can be pressed down, so it has to be 'movable', I dunno.. I just thought it would be solid as hell, I can see mine move a teeny bit without actually pressing the button down properly.

If it is super rigid the chance for you to double-hit the button nearby will increase by a lot lol
there is actually a silicone pad behind the ring.....

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #675 of 3,124
Anybody know if this is a good match for the Sleek Audio SA7 (unamped of course)? Just picked one up new for $100...

The SA7 that is. Still waiting for a good deal for the Alien, but I just spent $550 on audio stuff... "Sorry 'bout your wallet" sounds right...

[BREAKDOWN: K7XX-$200, E18-$120(trying-to-sell), E12-$99, NX1-$32, SA7-$100+$15- for shipping] 

Tada! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back