A little about the Shozy Alien
Apr 12, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,682 of 3,124
  MP4N has the 15% easter coupon that brings down DX90 to $322.57, with FREE Brainwavz R3 earphone and FedEX.......

Wow. That deal is a lot better. Thanks!

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,683 of 3,124
  So the general consensus is that the Shozy Alien> DX90 in terms of price to sound ratio? Is there a noticeable difference? I am wondering because on mdrop, the dx90 is $330 now. Also, how is the alien for sensitive iems? I usually listen 1-2 clicks up from 0 so not too loud.. 

DX90 has higher levels of detail retrieval, the resolution also sounds higher. if you're a 'detail hunter' the iBasso has an edge over Alien. The Shozy sounds more organic (as mentioned), particularly has good flow to the music and remains a little more coherent during busy passages. DX90 can sound a little muddled or samples become jumbled (lack of separation) but nothing that'll make you smash it against a wall.

What you need to ask yourself is, can you live without a screen and fast navigation, do you want to hear the same song every single time you boot the player up for 2-3 seconds before departing on your clicking journey. Are you a person who listens just to an album right through or constantly flying around separate tracks. As a long term Alien owner, I adore the player, it does win the price to performance ratio between the iBasso.

But as a long term user people must be informed that you're locked out of many features with Alien as compromise for the great sound. Some days, I simply want to test this track, that track and DX90 gets me there in seconds. Alien on the other hand, may take a good 1-2 minutes to find that certain song.

But, there is the shuffle feature (bug) which helps lighten the mood when you just want to spin some tracks.  End of the day, I reach for the iBasso more, (the screen won), but the sound of Alien is very good for the price.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,684 of 3,124
DX90 has higher levels of detail retrieval, the resolution also sounds higher. if you're a 'detail hunter' the iBasso has an edge over Alien. The Shozy sounds more organic (as mentioned), particularly has good flow to the music and remains a little more coherent during busy passages. DX90 can sound a little muddled or samples become jumbled (lack of separation) but nothing that'll make you smash it against a wall.

What you need to ask yourself is, can you live without a screen and fast navigation, do you want to hear the same song every single time you boot the player up for 2-3 seconds before departing on your clicking journey. Are you a person who listens just to an album right through or constantly flying around separate tracks. As a long term Alien owner, I adore the player, it does win the price to performance ratio between the iBasso.

But as a long term user people must be informed that you're locked out of many features with Alien as compromise for the great sound. Some days, I simply want to test this track, that track and DX90 gets me there in seconds. Alien on the other hand, may take a good 1-2 minutes to find that certain song.

But, there is the shuffle feature (bug) which helps lighten the mood when you just want to spin some tracks.  End of the day, I reach for the iBasso more, (the screen won), but the sound of Alien is very good for the price.

Thanks for the detailed write up. I think Im going to go for the Alien. I've been using a screenless dap (hippo biscuit) for the past few years. Lets me enjoy the music more and not worry about song titles etc. and is durable in a way by having no screen to worry about.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,685 of 3,124
It's strange really.

I've been flicking between DX90 and Alien as I listen early in the morning (about 4am) using Andrea Bocelli - Sogno album as the sample music. Despite DX90 having that edge in detail it simply doesn't bring out the same level of emotion from the music. The Alien really 'connects' you to the tracks with that timbre and this 'high-end' reproduction. While DX90 still sounds fantastic it's like those pieces are missing. I guess this is why Alien's so popular.

Anyway, you'll be right at home with Alien coming from the Biscuit.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,686 of 3,124
There is something incredibly oddly satisfying being reduced to the very basics of a DAP, namely play/pause, skip track etc.
One of my deepest requirements in a DAP was the ability to build playlists on the go, I have learned now, or adapted so that doesn't become as crucial requirement to me anymore. The screenless style has definitely recalibrated how I feel about DAPs and what I need from them (and i didn't expect it so).

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #1,687 of 3,124
Being a MD/CD user well into the 2000s, I never got the playlist thing. In my opinion, simple is best. Which is why I hope Alien's interface becomes easier to use. Which is why I'm harsh on any company that builds a device to a stylistic target, but forgets to make the interface easy, simple, and obvious. Alien: I'm waiting for perfection. Your sound is pretty damn close.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,688 of 3,124
  Being a MD/CD user well into the 2000s, I never got the playlist thing. In my opinion, simple is best. Which is why I hope Alien's interface becomes easier to use. Which is why I'm harsh on any company that builds a device to a stylistic target, but forgets to make the interface easy, simple, and obvious. Alien: I'm waiting for perfection. Your sound is pretty damn close.

You never heard the 2nd Gen tho.... and there is 1st gen modded Alien and 2nd gen mod later maybe

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,691 of 3,124
It's strange really.

I've been flicking between DX90 and Alien as I listen early in the morning (about 4am) using Andrea Bocelli - Sogno album as the sample music. Despite DX90 having that edge in detail it simply doesn't bring out the same level of emotion from the music. The Alien really 'connects' you to the tracks with that timbre and this 'high-end' reproduction. While DX90 still sounds fantastic it's like those pieces are missing. I guess this is why Alien's so popular.

Anyway, you'll be right at home with Alien coming from the Biscuit.

Very true, i dont know how to put it better than you did, but exactly the level of emotion and musicality is very strange,

I have been comparing alien to some daps also to the x5, but the alien seems to be more interesting to listen to..

also i just got the xduoo x2 for 50$ and man its nice, may be its under the other daps but value for money ??!

Its great, same price as clip+ but packs much more power, i have tried it so far with iems only and it seems to do a good job.

can you tell what you think about it ?

I dont know if it is cool to discuss this here as a comparison, but for people on a lower budget i think its very good value for the money and it also has a screen.

the only problem i face with it, is some strange attitude for the buttons as sometimes it doesnt respond, dont know if this was a problem with my device only or not, but it seems a bit cheap on quality given the price.

I just received it today, but for my other daps the alien gets the most listening time then x5 then dx50.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,693 of 3,124
Very true, i dont know how to put it better than you did, but exactly the level of emotion and musicality is very strange,

I have been comparing alien to some daps also to the x5, but the alien seems to be more interesting to listen to..

also i just got the xduoo x2 for 50$ and man its nice, may be its under the other daps but value for money ??!

Its great, same price as clip+ but packs much more power, i have tried it so far with iems only and it seems to do a good job.

can you tell what you think about it ?

I dont know if it is cool to discuss this here as a comparison, but for people on a lower budget i think its very good value for the money and it also has a screen.

the only problem i face with it, is some strange attitude for the buttons as sometimes it doesnt respond, dont know if this was a problem with my device only or not, but it seems a bit cheap on quality given the price.

I just received it today, but for my other daps the alien gets the most listening time then x5 then dx50.

Yeh I'm curious about the little ol' xduoo x2, can I ask where you picked one up for $50?

I never bothered looking up the measurements, there was no need, once I had heard it I was more than happy with what I was hearing. I didn't need anymore confirmation

Well us owners might not care but potential buyers might. I mean it's a leap of faith buying a $250 'shuffle' DAP based on opinion of sound quality from other forum users, measurements would be interesting.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,694 of 3,124
Yeh I'm curious about the little ol' xduoo x2, can I ask where you picked one up for $50?

Well us owners might not care but potential buyers might. I mean it's a leap of faith buying a $250 'shuffle' DAP based on opinion of sound quality from other forum users, measurements would be interesting.

I know its being sold at penon audio and aliexpress.

i wasnt in a hurry, so i got it from aliexpress for 50$ and it took around a month to deliver, it was shipped from singapore, at penon its 55$ but i dont know where it is located or would it be faster or not.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #1,695 of 3,124
Just listened to this with the Alien/Rockets combo and was floored. I'm not going to try to isolate which was responsible, but its amazing to hear such a little portable combo to make such a complex, dynamically diverse and big sounding piece sound so life-like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back