A little about the Shozy Alien
Mar 27, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,636 of 3,124
been listening to Fiona Apple these days.
Alien + Rockets combo beats DX90 + Dita Truth combo, wow.

Dynamic drivers work a lot better with the alien. I've wanted to try the Dita but can't fet anyone who would want to loan it to me for a week.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #1,637 of 3,124
So I got the Geek Out 450 and am comparing it to the Alien. 

The best way I can think to compare the two is that the Geek Out is like a studio and the Alien is like a live show. The Geek Out has a little better clarity, punch and details but the Shozy has that special sound stage and sense of realness of the music in space. Even studio albums sound almost live to me on the Alien. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,638 of 3,124

The best way I can think to compare the two is that the Geek Out is like a studio and the Alien is like a live show. The Geek Out has a little better clarity, punch and details but the Shozy has that special sound stage and sense of realness of the music in space. Even studio albums sound almost live to me on the Alien. 

I would agree with this

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,641 of 3,124
  I lost my original alien, have ended up pre ordering the gold version said to be tuned a bit different. supposedly available April sometime, but we'll see

I'd be really interested to hear your findings about the Gold one. I am considering passing on my Shozy as a gift and getting the Gold to replace it if it's better than the originals. Thing is tho... not really taken that much by the Gold finish, I just want a nice piano black one.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,643 of 3,124

Huh, I thought geek out was a amp not dap. Therefore how do one compare amp with a dap like alien?

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,646 of 3,124
  oh I pre-ordered the Gold version too but I didn't know its tune differently from the original one. Do you know what are the differences?

not really, we'll just have to wait for in on release I guess. I did ask but told to sit tight, supposedly coming out next month.

I did buy another regular alien from ebay, but it was the serial no. 00001 version, the supposed pre production model. it sounded different to my original enough for me to send it back. So curious what they do with the gold

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,647 of 3,124

not really, we'll just have to wait for in on release I guess. I did ask but told to sit tight, supposedly coming out next month.

I did buy another regular alien from ebay, but it was the serial no. 00001 version, the supposed pre production model. it sounded different to my original enough for me to send it back. So curious what they do with the gold

oh I see..I haven't listened to the original before though lol so actually, I guess it won't matter much to me haha. Unless the original one sounds much better but we will have to wait

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #1,648 of 3,124
The alien was okay. Not considerably better than my iPhone for my gear, but it scaled good on full size headphones.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #1,649 of 3,124
The alien was okay. Not considerably better than my iPhone for my gear, but it scaled good on full size headphones.

Fighting words.

A big part of mp3 players or DAPs for me is volume. iPhone and Android products do not go loud enough. I'm not talking about amps and driving difficult cans here. Sansa Clips and Cowons reach proper levels (and so can Android with a root, but what a PIA that is), so whilst I can accept sound quality can be similar across devices, what really is the decider for me is how well a DAP can hold in the volume department (whilst holding onto and not losing in the sound quality department).

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #1,650 of 3,124

Fighting words.

A big part of mp3 players or DAPs for me is volume. iPhone and Android products do not go loud enough. I'm not talking about amps and driving difficult cans here. Sansa Clips and Cowons reach proper levels (and so can Android with a root, but what a PIA that is), so whilst I can accept sound quality can be similar across devices, what really is the decider for me is how well a DAP can hold in the volume department (whilst holding onto and not losing in the sound quality department).

Mm. The alien distorted at high volumes and was a pain to use, the shuffle feature didn't work for longer than an hour. Sold it because of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back