A letter from Dr. Xin
Nov 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #16 of 67

BE AFRAID.  BE VERY AFRAID.  I too got the same letter from Fixup.net.  Don't trust it at all, given Xin's disappearance after all this time.  ALSO today, got two attempted uses on the same crredit card, and the credit card company declined the purchases, thankfully.  I wouldn't send whoever this is one damn dime.   Or, put another way: I've waited two years for a non-existent amp, he can wait awhile for my non-existent payment

O and one more thing: I had emailed Xin over the years and he had responded.  This is NOT the usual English sentence structure he usually used--in other words, being Chinese, some of his written English didn't flow as well as is in this letter.

Someone's trying to rip us off, I'm afraid.

Maybe we report this to the mods???

The CC number I gave expired over 2 years ago and I never got another from the Mastercard company I was using, so I'm not worried.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 67
Yep, stay the hell away.
Seems like someone got his mailing list and is trying to make some money off that.

If it was the real Xin, why would he have to make a new account on his own forum?
There don't seem to be any updates from him on his sites nor the forum either.
As for myself, I'm just glad I got my $300 refund when he was in a period of communicating with his customers/test subjects.
Looking back on it, I just feel silly waiting 1+ year for some portable amp.

If you still want to go through with it for whatever reason, make sure you don't pay anything until he says he is actually ready to ship, and pay with a credit card.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 67

The D4 is profoundly better (especially with HiFlight's opamp kit) than the D2/3
Dual DAC and much better amp section, the Toucan/Boomslang and P4 are their newest and even more fantastic creations...
Quote:
Interesting suggestion.  I bought an IBasso D2 back in June 2008.  Looks like the IBasso D3 and D4 are a major upgrades to my D2.

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #20 of 67
Today my package showed and there were 2 SM4 Maxed Out. They are burning in right now.  I feel very privileged  that he shipped me first. Why? I do not know, but I am going to order a second reference tomorrow. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #21 of 67
It is strange that he isn't saying anything on his web site or replying to inquires there. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #23 of 67

Quote:
Today my package showed and there were 2 SM4 Maxed Out. They are burning in right now.  I feel very privileged  that he shipped me first. Why? I do not know, but I am going to order a second reference tomorrow. 

That sounds good. Looks like i'm going to order another SuperMicroIV. But only after more feedback from reputable forum member

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #24 of 67
Got pics?

Quote:

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #25 of 67
I would rather see Xin develop a new amp than fullfill orders on his 3 year old designs.  In some markets 3 years wouldn't be along time, but in the portable amp world, that's pretty significant it seems. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #26 of 67

Quote:
I would rather see Xin develop a new amp than fullfill orders on his 3 year old designs.  In some markets 3 years wouldn't be along time, but in the portable amp world, that's pretty significant it seems. 

I totally agree. The Reference was good but is surpassed now. I am surprised Xin would use an older design when he knows how fast everything changes. The Reference sounds good but compared to the P4, the bass is a little heavy, and it is not as transparent. I know, if he is working at this again, he can come up to speed but I would not do it with older designs. IMO YMMV. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #27 of 67
It's tricky for him though, because he has all these outstanding orders.  So if he worked on a new amp instead of fullfilling them, people would be pissed off.  And if he comes out with a new and better amp right after fullfilling all the old orders, people will also be pissed off.  Imagine waiting for 3 years for an amp, only to have a better one come out a few months later...

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 67

Quote:
It's tricky for him though, because he has all these outstanding orders.  So if he worked on a new amp instead of fullfilling them, people would be pissed off.  And if he comes out with a new and better amp right after fullfilling all the old orders, people will also be pissed off.  Imagine waiting for 3 years for an amp, only to have a better one come out a few months later...

What would piss me off is to get an amp that was fairly outdated. They will sell well in Japan for a while were they will pay big bucks but for true fidelity, which is what Xin always strived for, re releasing an older design, IMO, is counterproductive to the customer. To state that a new design had been implemented that is an improvement and then to give the customer a choice of that or the model ordered would seem prudent. 

I still don't see where Xin has posted on his own site. There are statements that Xin is dead etc., on there that I think out of professionalism he would take down. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #29 of 67
I had no problem waiting 4-5 months on my Arrow or 2-3 months on my Sflo2.  But waiting 3 years w/o communication after payment is waaaay beyond my threshold unless it's a custom, hand-built $200-$300,000 Aston or Ferrari.  YMMV.  Best wishes to you guys.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 67
To my knowledge, he has never charged before shipping except for those who paid by paypal. However, I can confidently say that 3+ years w/o communication about an order is not a good business practice.  Of course, xin has been called many things but never a good businessman. 

PS  I am interested in a new xin amp, if it can compare to the best of the current crop of amps/dacs.

Quote:
I had no problem waiting 4-5 months on my Arrow or 2-3 months on my Sflo2.  But waiting 3 years w/o communication after payment is waaaay beyond my threshold unless it's a custom, hand-built $200-$300,000 Aston or Ferrari.  YMMV.  Best wishes to you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back