A JOURNEY INTO VINYL
Nov 27, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #91 of 128
That’s amazing. Those amps are probably miles better than tube amps from the 1960s-1970s. They run the tubes at a very low wattage, you will experience lasting tube life!

I dunno, a few Mac and Marantz amps/pre-amps from then were not too shabby. The Dyna Mk VI was a masterpiece.

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #93 of 128
To those of you with turntables do you go straight out to a phono preamplifier then to headphone amp?
From the turntable.... into my phono stage ....then to my amp

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #96 of 128
I would assume phono stage is the same as a phono preamp? So much to learn.🤦🏽‍♂️
Yes sorry, I should have wrote it up as preamp as well. Same thing though

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #97 of 128
Good afternoon everyone. First of all, forgive me if the question I am going to expose does not correspond to this subforum.
You see, I want to digitize my vinyls to add them to my digital library and, incidentally, preserve them from the passage of time. I have located two devices that would serve me for this purpose, the difference between the two (Tascam both) is that one can record up to 24/96 and the other up to 24/192 and even further, up to DSD64. I think I should buy the latter, the one that goes all the way up to Hi-Res, but would prefer someone with experience digitizing vinyl to advise me.
Thanks for any response and greetings to all...

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #98 of 128
To those of you with turntables do you go straight out to a phono preamplifier then to headphone amp?
I got TT->Phono->HP Amp.

For my Speaker setup i do:
TT->Phono->Tube Pre->Tube Mono Block

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #99 of 128
Good afternoon everyone. First of all, forgive me if the question I am going to expose does not correspond to this subforum.
You see, I want to digitize my vinyls to add them to my digital library and, incidentally, preserve them from the passage of time. I have located two devices that would serve me for this purpose, the difference between the two (Tascam both) is that one can record up to 24/96 and the other up to 24/192 and even further, up to DSD64. I think I should buy the latter, the one that goes all the way up to Hi-Res, but would prefer someone with experience digitizing vinyl to advise me.
Thanks for any response and greetings to all...
Sorry mate, i don't have any experience with that one.

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #100 of 128
I posted this on another forum but I'm curious about opinions here. I'm already heavy into CDs (and still want to try SACD). I think I have at least 500 CDs. I have not counted in a while. But for a long time now I've wanted to venture into records. But is it still worthwhile considering the cost. The used music store here in my home town sell used records for $8 - $10 each. Sometimes more. But the cost of new records blows me away. At least $30 or more. Often much more. But before buying any records I would of course need a turntable and all that goes with that. I'd like to keep the cost of a turntable under $500 if possible. Preferably much less for a used option. As long as it works completely and paired with a competent phono pre-amp it should sound pretty good right? So in 2022 with the cost of everything going up (thanks Trudeau!!) is it worth it? Right now I listen to my music primarily with headphones. I have three amps right now (Rebel Amp, Singxer SA-1, Feliks Audio Echo Mk2), a Bifrost II DAC and HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus headphones.

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #101 of 128
I posted this on another forum but I'm curious about opinions here. I'm already heavy into CDs (and still want to try SACD). I think I have at least 500 CDs. I have not counted in a while. But for a long time now I've wanted to venture into records. But is it still worthwhile considering the cost. The used music store here in my home town sell used records for $8 - $10 each. Sometimes more. But the cost of new records blows me away. At least $30 or more. Often much more. But before buying any records I would of course need a turntable and all that goes with that. I'd like to keep the cost of a turntable under $500 if possible. Preferably much less for a used option. As long as it works completely and paired with a competent phono pre-amp it should sound pretty good right? So in 2022 with the cost of everything going up (thanks Trudeau!!) is it worth it? Right now I listen to my music primarily with headphones. I have three amps right now (Rebel Amp, Singxer SA-1, Feliks Audio Echo Mk2), a Bifrost II DAC and HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus headphones.
hey, my first venture into vinyl was on a $150 audio technica turntable with a built in phono stage, so I hooked thst up directly to my headphone amp and off I went. and even at that price point I found the vinyl sounded significantly better than my schiit yggdrasil dac costing $2600 usd. The dac was more refined and resolving , but when I stepped up my TT gear, digital sounds meh to me now.

There's just a magic with records that I love.

at your price point I'd recommend getting soemthing entry level and pickup a couple of records and test it out yourself. if you like what you hear, then you can invest more. audio technica, project, Rega all have some budget units you can look at if you want to dabbel.

a 500 disc CD collection is quite something to walk away from though, that's alot of $ already invested there. But again, maybe enter conservative and test out then you can decide , maybe sell off your discs if you like vinyl.

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #102 of 128
hey, my first venture into vinyl was on a $150 audio technica turntable with a built in phono stage, so I hooked thst up directly to my headphone amp and off I went. and even at that price point I found the vinyl sounded significantly better than my schiit yggdrasil dac costing $2600 usd. The dac was more refined and resolving , but when I stepped up my TT gear, digital sounds meh to me now.

There's just a magic with records that I love.

at your price point I'd recommend getting soemthing entry level and pickup a couple of records and test it out yourself. if you like what you hear, then you can invest more. audio technica, project, Rega all have some budget units you can look at if you want to dabbel.

a 500 disc CD collection is quite something to walk away from though, that's alot of $ already invested there. But again, maybe enter conservative and test out then you can decide , maybe sell off your discs if you like vinyl.

Well I don't plan on selling any of my CDs. I'd still continue to buy more. But at my local used music shops I've seen many used records which I don't think ever came out on CD. I cannot think of any specific ones off the top of my head at this moment. But I'm curious to hear them. if buying a new turntable I've been considering one of the Fluance models. They seem to get overall great reviews. But using a record player is definitely more hands on. Things like making sure the tonearm is level and keeping the records clean. I keep an eye on this page a lot. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/31-turntables/

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #103 of 128
Its Def a more Involved process with record maintenance , I've just got an ultrasonic cleaner from upscale audio to give that a go, I've been using a project vaccuum system until now.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #104 of 128
It's really always going to be a matter of opinion. Meaning most of the time here stuff isn't as black and white as we want it to be. Also remember audiophiles are always tying to get to the top of the mountain sound wise. Sound Science has had the trend to call records a novelty, even when I posted about records they would get very little respect back starting in 2010. Now with the resurgence of popularity even SS has altered their stance slightly. It is personal even how we view the media. Meaning I tend to believe that recent improvements to budget mid-fi sound have pushed basic digital over the edge, to a place offering substantial bang-for-the-buck. Though some people have budget turntables and enjoy the whole experience? Meaning they find albums and even though their set-up is limited, much of this stuff is perception, so it has little to do with reality, but is based on attitude. I have had vinyl since the early 1970s, I spent a ton on records in the mid-eighties and then went through a buying phase from 2001 till 2010. I used to have literally a room with every wall in shelfs dedicated to records. I would find about three records to concentrate on then take them down to the 1st floor to the main system. On time I had family over and allowed them to share in the experience, only I had so many records that quality was not always noted. I had a few copies of Bad Company, the first album. My niece picked it out, though when we got downstairs it was warped and would not play. So there is something to think about. But generally it is a piece by piece idea if the sound is better. As often the newer remaster sounds great. Meaning, yes there are often albums that sound really good the way they came out on vinyl, but some modern day records sound awful. You need to address just how much your going to spend but truthfully you don't know what you want most of the time. Meaning listening to vinyl is a series of experiments till you reach a great place. I had used turntables for most of my life. Ones that costed $40 at the thrift store. I don't know but I hear now they charge a lot for such things, and the fact that maybe such things don't exist anymore. Due to the popularity of vinyl, used record players get a premium price. I topped out with about a $1600 turntable and $400 preamp (used). But primarily I have sold almost all of my vinyl. I have a small selection of favorites on vinyl to remind me what it's like. Still I never criticize people for saying it's best. I kinda do think it's best at times. Still it depends what sound you are after. Also there really are modern day records which sound amazing. Sea Change by Beck is one. I would say it's better than digital any day of the week. Still getting into vinyl is difficult for many as you need a better turntable and needle to get down into the grooves to reduce surface noise. Better turntables sound clearer than cheap turntables. But it's a whole set up that matters. Meaning the sound comes from the grouping of equipment. So slowly over the years vinyl lovers pieced together an arraignment of components which sounded best. This is no easy thing. You have to learn how to set-up a turntable, you need to educate yourself on MM or MC cartridges. You need to understand the way to level a turntable and not get speaker feedback. It goes on and on and on and on. Take a quick listen to vinyl? No it's a half-hour job before you even push play. You need to go through the records to find one. Normally listening rooms are dimly lit. Maybe you need a flashlight? Then the writing is small, then the record is covered with maybe two or three layers till you get two the actual vinyl. You need to take it out, being wise not to damage it. You need maybe to clean it. Antistatic Brush it while placed onto the turntable. Before that you need to turn everything on. What about the speed of the turntable? You slowly lower the needle down after putting the record clamp on........and music comes out. Still with headphones and even with the most pricy set-up there is ground-loop hum. That hum never goes away. That is the first part of getting used to headphones, next is the groove surface noise, that never goes entirely away either. And finally the pop sounds, which you slowly mentally learn to listen through, like learning to drive in the fog. Yes the response of vinyl is maybe better, but it is for those dedicated to put up with all this side static. One the other hand investing in digital can at times come close to replicating the vinyl experience. But remember it's an album by album effort, meaning at times the vinyl master is better and at times some new digital release sounds fantastic. SO again no exact black and white. Are you going to be able to learn to listen through the pops and ground-hum, the surface noise, will it bug you? Or will you be able to meditate your way into nirvana?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #105 of 128
Yes I'm aware of all those things. It's just a medium I've never experienced first hand so that's a big reason why I'm interested. I'm just 39 years old but I regret not getting into it years ago when people were basically giving away their collections for next to nothing. But at the time I didn't have the space to put a collection. Now I have some space to have a collection if I wanted it. Perhaps not thousands of records but a decent size collection. Weirdly enough I wish I had even alive when records were the main medium for audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back