A JOURNEY INTO VINYL
Sep 15, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #121 of 128
For me at least, Digital hasn’t quite got it 100% correct yet, although some of the higher end (an price) units are getting close, brands Like PS Audio, DCS, Chord, etc seem to spent a lot of effort on timing accuracy and use custom programmable FPGA’s instead of “chip DAC’s” chasing better results and do narrow the gap with well recorded digital music, as opposed to overly loud and compressed efforts of a lot of popular music, as well as compressing the dynamic range the lower level signals also become relatively louder, giving the impression of more detail which goes some way to explaining the more “relaxed” and “musical” description put forward by Vinyl users,
Sadly Vinyl still has a price premium over CD which is the reverse of when CD first appeared in the mid 80’s.
I'm terms of high end dacs, outside of the schiit yggdrasil I use, I've tested with anthem flagship receiver, and trinov processor, neither of the 3 could compare to vinyl for me, I do however have plans to trade my yggy in for the upcoming v2 of the ps audio dac, so I'll see how that improves things when I get my hands on it and how it compares to vinly. But interesting Paul from ps audio is still promoting vinyl whiles having access to then ps audio dac gear. in any event I'll always need a dac so I'll see when I get thier new one.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #122 of 128
Around 2 years ago I decided to look at the emerging DAC technologies and luckily found an accomodating store that stocked PS Audio, Chord, and DCS amongst others, so I sat in a quiet corner for a while with a laptop on battery via USB and my Stax energiser direct into the RCA outputs, my slight preference was the Chord via RCA and Stax headphones, thing might’ve changed using balanced outputs and other than USB input but I’d recommend a good listening session using connection preferences before deciding … as with anything in their price range YMMV … 😉
P.S.
Still prefer the total listening experience of Vinyl, physical media, nice big cover notes and photos, and taking a relaxing “time out” to do nothing but listen to the whole side of an LP one after another vs the temptation to “skip to favourite” tracks with Digital, sound wise it’s as much the individual recording quality rather than the format that’s my final choice although a well recorded LP on 180g Vinyl is still hard to beat …

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #123 of 128
Yea there's a substantial difference from well recorded 180g pure analog records, and the standard digitally sourced records. I routinely expand my collection of thst quality of record, they sound truly amazing.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #124 of 128
I just put on this ultrasonically cleaned album:
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/145780/Hugh_Masekela-Hope-Vinyl_Box_Sets

good lord have mercy.

R.fc0a5a3e14b7663984fd2aac44cf8c53

And I've listened to the digital version, this vinyl is night and day.

Listening through the Abyss HP with the KR-HP Tubes.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #125 of 128
I just put on this ultrasonically cleaned album:
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/145780/Hugh_Masekela-Hope-Vinyl_Box_Sets

good lord have mercy.

R.fc0a5a3e14b7663984fd2aac44cf8c53

And I've listened to the digital version, this vinyl is night and day.

Listening through the Abyss HP with the KR-HP Tubes.

I just stumbled upon this thread, and a very nice write up, thanks for sharing it with us. Now it makes me think whether I should upgrade my DAC to Lumin X1 or might as well get a turntable and experience the good old vinyl on my headphones. Vinyl sound has always captivated me especially on high end 2 channel setups. A friend of mine has been persuading me for years to get into vinyl but the hassle of cleaning and keeping them has always turned me off 😁

The thing is I’ve never experienced vinyl on headphones and a bit worried that the pops will distract me from enjoying the sound. And I’m also a bit concerned that with all the current high res DSD and DXD files that I have right now (which I think sound very analogue on my setup), owning a turntable won’t yield that much increase of satisfaction. I know it’s all hypothetical, but it’s a bit difficult for me to audition at my house to compare vinyl and digital on my current system. Most likely I would have to buy one in order to do such thing.

Anyways, it’s always nice to have options, although sometimes a lack of options makes our life a lot more simple 😁

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #126 of 128
I just stumbled upon this thread, and a very nice write up, thanks for sharing it with us. Now it makes me think whether I should upgrade my DAC to Lumin X1 or might as well get a turntable and experience the good old vinyl on my headphones. Vinyl sound has always captivated me especially on high end 2 channel setups. A friend of mine has been persuading me for years to get into vinyl but the hassle of cleaning and keeping them has always turned me off 😁

The thing is I’ve never experienced vinyl on headphones and a bit worried that the pops will distract me from enjoying the sound. And I’m also a bit concerned that with all the current high res DSD and DXD files that I have right now (which I think sound very analogue on my setup), owning a turntable won’t yield that much increase of satisfaction. I know it’s all hypothetical, but it’s a bit difficult for me to audition at my house to compare vinyl and digital on my current system. Most likely I would have to buy one in order to do such thing.

Anyways, it’s always nice to have options, although sometimes a lack of options makes our life a lot more simple 😁
heh, decisions decisions :D.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to try.
Ive listened on both high end 2 channel speakers and headphones, vinyl is great on both. And I have some pretty resolving headphones in the way of Abyss Phi TC.

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #127 of 128
heh, decisions decisions :D.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to try.
Ive listened on both high end 2 channel speakers and headphones, vinyl is great on both. And I have some pretty resolving headphones in the way of Abyss Phi TC.
Yes you got a very nice stable of resolving headphones there 👍🏼

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #128 of 128
I have a pretty high end phono preamp (Acoustic Signature Tango Reference) up for sale at a great price if anyone is in need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back