A headphone tribute goodbye to Tyll from Innerfidelity
Jun 14, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #211 of 306
Probably hard to choose a more impractical headphone for portable use. Heavy, expensive, easily damaged, massive size, hope he never has to run to catch a train in them. Probably should have chosen something off the wall of fame oh hang on you cant anymore as he is going to do away with it. I noted the comments section was closed after that post so suspect there were a few further posts on that topic that were censored as well.

He said in an interview that "im not Tyll", and so, he has his own thing to do, and now has the position.
Can anyone answer the question?......."Why Him"?
Is he self appointed?.....is he "appointed"?
Anyone know the reason?

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #212 of 306
I just put together that Tyll Herstens had retired and wasn't just writing less. : ( The reason I'm posting to this (quite old) thread, is because I think it's important to tell people when they affect our lives positively. I avidly read Tyll's reviews back in 2012-15 when I got back into the audio hobby after a long break. I appreciated his writing so much because it was colorful, approachable, and yet technical enough to truly inform -- the kind of writing one does when one really understands a discipline and is secure in one's knowledge. I never felt excluded or talked down to, but rather, encouraged to dive in and enjoy music, whether my budget was $100 or $10,000. His explanations of frequency graphs made sense and helped me to understand how good audio can be demonstrated visually (even if it's not the whole story). His recommendations pushed me to buy the Shure se215, Sennheiser Amperior, and a couple of other lower-end headphones that I did not once regret buying. Just last month, his recommendations helped me to pull the trigger on the MassDrop 6XX, which I am enjoying immensely. These days, headphone reviews are much more plentiful online (more quantity than quality in some cases) than they were in 2012, but I still feel they chase after the example Tyll set. I'm sorry to learn he needed to hang it up, but am grateful for the columns and insight, which I still refer to. Tyll, sir, I hope you're having a fantastic time on the road! Thanks for your good work.

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #213 of 306
I miss Tyll too....Last time he reported in, he showed off his custom Truck/Mobile home that he intended on living in. I sure bet he's happy where ever the heck he is!

Feb 6, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #215 of 306
Lol @ airpods.

Feb 7, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #218 of 306
I miss the guy! He is a class act!

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #222 of 306
@willryu Certainly not on that one site. Which I'm only using to access previous articles and reviews from the OGs. Even the old articles from way back, even before Tyll, are still up. When the k701 was all the rage, and Grado too. Here is Tyll welcome post. Just by going through the titles one can grasp how low it fell after the brain drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back