A headphone tribute goodbye to Tyll from Innerfidelity
May 9, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #229 of 306
I hope Tyll is still enjoying his custom Camper truck he built to live in....I really miss that guys dedication to the Headphone world!!!

Hey Roskodan,

Thanks for sharing the site link to Tyll...looks like he has started a whole new group...Nomads...just like him!

1589044876624.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #232 of 306
So... took me 2 years, almost to the day. Somehow Tylls retirement hit me really hard, loosing my one and only reference reviewer. I can understand his reasons, very well actually. And I take my hat off to executing retirement in this fashion.

I really miss his insightful reviews, especially the feeling that he was not talking what the industry wanted to hear, but voiced his own opinion, which was consistent and transparent. Each time I read something like "... is a sample in exchange for my/our honest opinion" I think of Tylls strict rule not to accept gifts. Sorry, but reviews are worthless to me if they start with a preamble like this or some other variant like "... is a sample and doesn't have to be returned". Of course, gifts would never change the outcome...

2018 was also the year I quit my engagement in this hobby. Tylls retirement was not the reason for this, but confirmed my decision. To me the absurd prices on one end plus the enormous pile of junk at the other end made it a waste of time. Especially when I miss Tylls voice of reason.

Thanks for the link to his new project I was very curious how he might spend his time now.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #234 of 306
Its web page is closed, and redirected to stereophile. Its content is gone.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #235 of 306
Its web page is closed, and redirected to stereophile. Its content is gone.
So it's not only me... I thought that might be due to my blocking of trackers etc.
Really a shame... though the new editor who came in when Tyll left never cut it for me, I removed the feed from my RSS collection soon after. Came from parttimeaudiophile and it was showing... Killing all the existing content is a shame and a real loss.

i think I have to rewatch Tylls goodbye video...

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #236 of 306
And the thing is......I didn’t try and save any of the writing. I would regularly read it and it took me pretty far?

It must be somewhere? Maybe some way-back-machine or something? I mean Stereophile owns it, so if they feel like trashing the genius of the writing so be it. We all know it’s a business and Tyll’s knowledge and understanding of headphones secondary. Still it seems like a lot of all the writing would generate advertising $?

I can go back and read about 1998 DAC chips, but somehow all the Innerfidelity pages are gone? I wanted to refer beginning members there, but I guess they need to start from scratch?

The greatest thing would be to (even underground) find an archive of the gold! No one has ever come along and filled his shoes. We are left with shallow and greatly pointed advertising. :)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #237 of 306
And the thing is......I didn’t try and save any of the writing. I regularly read it and it took me pretty far?

It must be somewhere? Maybe some way-back-machine or something? I mean Stereophile owns it, so if they feel like trashing the genius of the writing so be it. We all know it’s a business and Tyll’s knowledge and understanding of headphones secondary. Still it seems like a lot of all the writing would generate advertising $?

I can go back and read about 1998 DAC chips, but somehow all the Innerfidelity pages are gone? I wanted to refer beginning members there, but I guess they need to start from scratch?

The greatest thing would be to (even underground) find an archive of the gold!

Yes, its in the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/Innerfidelity.com

E.g. one snapshot:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180224084921/https://www.innerfidelity.com/

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #238 of 306
Your the best! This is what people will read when we are gone.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #239 of 306
That last guy they had, could not hold Tyll's jock! Really miss that guy....for all the work he put in, it seemed only a few dedicated readers appreciated him! I hope his custom made mobile-home-truck is still going strong!!!

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #240 of 306
That last guy they had, could not hold Tyll's jock! Really miss that guy....for all the work he put in, it seemed only a few dedicated readers appreciated him! I hope his custom made mobile-home-truck is still going strong!!!

Someone posted a link to Tylls new endeavor in this thread, a camp site for travelers as I understood it. And he looked very happy on the photos.

Really commend Tyll for being able to let go of this one big thing he accomplished to follow his dreams and take up on the next project. I can fully understand him, yet I think few have the guts to do something like that, to not try to grow old over the one accomplishment but to leave for something new.

I really miss his integrity, his consistency, his curiosity and determination. Yet I think he chose the wise path of pursuing his dreams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back