A headphone tribute goodbye to Tyll from Innerfidelity
May 16, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #166 of 306
Thank you Tyll, safe travels sir.

Playing you out with a classic from John Williamson, "Hooroo" Tyll:

May 16, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #167 of 306
Hi Tyll, really enjoyed your reviews and insight. Sincerely wish you a happy retirement, hope you enjoy life and your adventures moving forward.
Safe travels.

May 16, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #168 of 306
Tyll was super helpful in my introduction to the hobby. Before finding head-fi, it was through his reviews that I started finding truly great gear. Even to this day, his endorsement of the Aeon Flow Closed has me considering that as closed-back endgame. His voice will be missed.

ETA: that's sounds a bit final. Best of luck on retirement!

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #169 of 306
He has been the biggest influence on my choice of headphones, and his honest reviews favored no single company. He probably saved a lot of us a time, wasted anticipation, and money, by telling us what to expect from those new cans we'd had considered purchasing better than anyone. Not just his technical brilliance, but that Harman Curve he favored was very much in line with what I listen for.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #170 of 306
I won't say sad times because he hasn't passed away
Yeah, english isn't my native tongue but I would rather say that "he has been helpful" instead of "was helpful" coz the man isn't quite dead yet and it'll take a few lives to read innerfidelity in full, digest it and then understand it all completely huh(damping factor yada yada ^^).

May 16, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #174 of 306
Thank you Tyll, huge contribution to headphone community, long live your ears, but please keep an interest on that harman target response. It seems to be still too flawed to leave that as a part of your heritage. Too much bass? 6Khz huge dip shown on many neutral headphone graph is probably a mistake too. But works great as a comparison tool.

Apart from that and your subjective taste when it comes to sound, I thank you for everything.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #175 of 306
hello hfi community. i have seen Tyll at various events inclucing the LAOCAaudio Society meetings but never really interfaced with him as i wasn't that much of a headphone guy, preferring loudspeakers. my situation has changed and i have retired and now live with my daughter and her husband in canyon country california, not very far from the Schiitr.

headphones are now more in use and i still have to acquire proper amplification and the like to drive my grado sr60s, ps1000s, and the latest addition-monoprice planar IEMs. i do plan to pick your brains for the best setup for the most reasonable amount of cash (remember that i am recently retired.).

i am quite aware that Tyll has or is in process of retirement right now as noted in his YT on innerfidedlity of late. i can't help but saying that i wonder whether the changes in management at Stereophile are a direct cause of this event. i don't intend this to be a negative inquiry, just factual. reality sometimes bites.

at any rate, i wish Tyll the best and hope to enter this realm of isolated litsening with as little difficulty as possible. i am confident that this is the place to land for that task.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #176 of 306
While I didn't meet you until a few years ago at a NY/NJ meet, I was a customer way back before headphones were cool.
I went on many a business trip with a CD player, headroom amp (with 6 cell battery pack), pack of CDs and an evolving set of headphones, all carried
in the too-cool-for-description headroom travel bag on my shoulder. I can't think of Tyll without thinking how it was impossible to travel
through Frankfurt Airport (and only Frankfurt) without having to submit my headroom travel bag to a swipe and spectrometry test at security.
Every time!

Luckily for me, I have a special memento, a Long Island meet video interview Tyll posted of my 'patio system'
After meeting him, I knew he was my kind of eccentric.

Enjoy retirement and keep listening and enjoying the music.

Peace

May 16, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #177 of 306
I haven't been here in a while, but I saw Tyl's video on YT and saw a thread on OCN about a tribute thread and I wanted to send my best wishes to him!

I wanted to thank him for starting me on the audiophile journey and for helping me understand many things about audio. After going to many different audio communities, I found Tyl to be the most unbiased reviewer and gave his thoughts (even when it was negative) even if it meant alienating himself from manufacturer's / sponsors. I truly appreciated that! I also found it refreshing that he wasn't a snob when it came to headphone tiers (pricing). He always looked for good sound no matter the price range.

I'm going to miss him and I'll definitely be looking for someone to replace the niche he has left!

Enjoy retirement Tyl! I'd love to see your journey in that awesome van of yours!

May 16, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #178 of 306
Guys! Celebrate the body of work. Enjoy the resulting advances and live in your music but Tyll is not dead I assure you lol

He’s still like the rest of us with dreams and aspirations. He is still an enthusiast and still shares your love for the gear and stuff.

I retired once, I hated it. My wife and her honey-do lists drove me crazy. I had to sneak out to go racing at O dark 30. Then my brother said what can he do that I can help with to make a decent living and 20 years later here I am. Interesting that my entire life has been audio related by designing or live sound or helping people figure out what they need in Audio. I imagine I’ll retire again someday but I’m having fun now (no honey-do’s). Tyll picked his time and in video he has sound reasoning in his decision. I think his life is about to get more fun and less stressful. I for one will celebrate that with him anytime! :)

Tyll isn’t just a personality, he is a true contribution to the industry.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 16, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #180 of 306
Tyll, much love and appreciation! Even though I am fourty-nine now I feel like I grew up with you and your headphone/amp tests and reviews. I wish you love, laughter, good music, and much luck in everything you do moving forward. Sincerely, Duane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back