A headphone tribute goodbye to Tyll from Innerfidelity
May 15, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #151 of 306
You were my guide audiophile when I first started searching for good sounding headphones back in 2002. I read many reviews from you. I appreciate all the effort and information that you provide for the audiophile community (especially for headphone listeners). I watch your last youtube video with a droplet from my eye.... One thing is for sure: Because of the efforts of persons like you we are now enjoying better headphones. You'll be missed Tyll... With all the respect, I am wishing you a great journey!

PS:Wishing to see some You'tube videos about your journey, at least once a month.

May 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #152 of 306
I've looked to the Wall of Fame several times before purchasing a headphone. I feel Tyll and I share a similar preference in sound. I hope whoever picks up the torch next continues the excellence we've all come to expect.

I was recently just through Bozeman Montana two weekends ago while on my way to BigFork montana for a Spartan Race. I should have thought to stop by his store just to check it out.

Enjoy retirement! I've still got a few decades to go before I can retire. I would enjoy to see you start a thread here, or a new blog, based on your retired adventures.

May 15, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #153 of 306
Started late in the headphones scene. Went thru a lot of reviews before making my 1st purchase which was the LCD2C. What caught my attention was that a lot of people were hesitating to pull the trigger while waiting for Tyll's review which came out quite late (pulled the trigger before Tyll's review was out). I was like who is this guy. Why is there so many people hesitating without his seal of approval even though there is quite some good reviews out there already.

InnerFidelity was the 1st audio review website I bookmarked. Followed it ever since and and enjoying reading those articles and videos. Love it. There are many reviewers, but none have this candidness and character that made me enjoy, adsorb the priceless information and knowing that I can trust Tyll's every word.

And now this sudden retirement announcement felt like a great loss to me. I am sure to the whole community as well. You are an inspiration to me. Even your retirement plan inspires me. But I wish you all the best and bon voyage.

PS: Hope that you will share your adventures with us and continue to inspire us. Thank you for all you have done.

May 15, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #154 of 306
Yo Tyll,

Here we are, just a day or so after your announcement, and there are hundreds of wonderful comments pouring in for you. And i know that these comments only represent a small portion of those who's lives you've touched, influenced, and improved.
You know what i'd call that?.....

A headphone legacy with long reaching impact of a life well lived in helping others.

All the best to you friend....get out there and explore, adventure, reflect, learn, create, observe, and live.
A sage philosopher once suggested that "Life moves pretty fast...if you dont stop and look around once and a while, you might miss it".

Peace .n. Living in Stereo on the Open Road

Three Toes of Fury

May 15, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #156 of 306
A headphone legacy with long reaching impact of a life well lived in helping others.

It's all I could hope for. So glad folks like you have been interested enough to follow along. And thanks for all your posts on InnerFidelity, I always enjoyed them greatly.

May 15, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #158 of 306
Oh, and by the way, just so people can feel all is right in the world, Jason Lord at The Source AV saw the thread here and gave me a call:

"Hi Tyll, exciting times, eh?"

"Yeah man, I hardly know what to do with myself."

"I hear you're not bringing Clears with you."

"Nah, just don't want to drop the dime. I'm good with what I've got" (Solo3, QC35, AFO, AFC)

"But you'd like to have Clears with you?"

"Oh yeah, sure, they're awesome."

"All righty, brother, they're on the way."

"Aww, man...really?"

"Dude, you deserve it. No problemo."

"Thanks, Jason. Really, thanks."

Really, thanks, Jason.

Edit: D'oh! Jason snuck in as I was typing!

Thanks, man!

Incredibly cool story i've ever heard.

May 16, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #159 of 306
Thank you Tyll for really putting headphones on the audio map. I remember my first high end headphone was a pair AKG 240 back in the 80's. There were no dedicated headphone amps back in the day. Today, a huge thanks for putting headphones & headphone amps into the audiophile category. Headphones are now taken seriously by many listeners looking for that intimate listening experience you can only get with headphones. I'm sorry for my pocketbook. Oh well.

Thanks Tyll for making the journey such a pleasure with your insightful and honest comments. Best of luck with the ukulele! That is a very admirable choice! Playing an instrument around a campfire with friends sounds absolutely perfect. Thank you for sharing a bit of your future with Putt. Really cool to open up your bit of life with us headphone enthusiasts. Cheers!

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #160 of 306
I bought my focal clear headphones after reading Tyll's review on them, I'll miss his reviews,I won't say sad times because he hasn't passed away, this is just another chapter in his life so I wish him well.

May 16, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #161 of 306
Very sad to see you go, Tyll. I will miss the headphone reviews. I was waiting for you to do a Sennheiser HD 820 review. It looks like that will now be left for others to accomplish instead. You are, and will forever remain a legend in the headphone community. Thank you for all of your work, and for demanding more from manufacturers. Good luck with your future adventures.

May 16, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #162 of 306
My heart fills with heavy sadness when the thought of not seen your videos anymore on my youtube feed, but that is out of selfish reason on my end. I know you will have a very happy life outside innerfidelity and I wish you all the best.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #164 of 306
Bought alot of headphones based on your reviews and recommendations through the years.
I didn't always agree with all of your reviews, and recommendations, but we all are unique, hear differently, and have different opinions on what sounds good and suits each of us individually.
Loved your Wall of Fame, videos, and measurements too.
Bought a couple of your original Headroom amps and greatly enjoyed them too.
Thanks for all the hard work and dedication through the years.
You deserve a ton of praise for truly helping put this hobby on the map, and for helping make it as popular as it is today, as well as for helping lead individuals and manufacturers to research and develop more and more high-end headphones, and making it highly competitive like it is today.
I honestly feel that it wouldn't be where it is today, if it weren't for you, Tyll.
And many thanks for telling it like it is, and not being afraid to offend manufacturers, or fellow enthusiasts, by writing sugar coated reviews!
Many thanks!
The headphone world won't be the same without you, and you will be sorely missed by me, and many others.
I'm very sad you won't be reviewing or recommending anymore gear, but on the other hand, I am very happy for you, and truly understand your point of view.
Best wishes on your retirement and opening up a new chapter in your life.
You deserve the very best always, my friend.
May God Bless You Always :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back