A headphone tribute goodbye to Tyll from Innerfidelity
May 14, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #77 of 306
Tyll, the job you did in Inner Fidelity is terrific! Entertaining yet rigurous and pedagogic. We'll miss you!!

May 14, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #78 of 306
A couple of things I forgot to mention in my previous post:

I can't mention meets without mentioning another zany Tyll venture that turned out to be very important. This goes back to the very early days of Head-Fi, back in 2002. Tyll decided (with his company HeadRoom) to do something called "The World Of Headphones Tour." This was no minor or inexpensive undertaking. He custom-outfitted a trailer that (as I recall) he towed behind a large van, touring the USA. In this large trailer was just about every headphone and amp we were talking about in the community back in those days, along with source components (we were spinning discs back then) and accessories.

At the destination (usually a hotel), the contents of the trailer (which were custom shelving units with the gear on them) were arranged in a room, turning that room into something akin to a full-on specialty store setting. (I seem to recall nothing was being sold at the show. I think you ordered from the HeadRoom website if you wanted anything you liked there.)

HeadRoom amps, Holmes-Powell amp (anyone else remember this one?), the original Sennheiser HE90/HEV90 Orpheus, EAR HP4, and of course gobs of headphones at all price points of the time.

The significance of The World Of Headphones Tour was twofold: It was the first meet-up of its type that was exhibitor-supported, which is obviously very commonplace now. It was also, for many of us, the very beginning of what became the headphone meets we now have all over the world. The funny thing about the Detroit stop (and I imagine the others) is that we were all quite shy about the whole thing, as it was all so new. If Tyll, Danny (HeadRoom's engineer at the time), and I weren't being our talkative selves, I'm not sure much would have been said! It was a shy bunch. Now, of course, our meets and CanJams are very social, friendship-building, get-togethers. From the meets, events, and CanJams, many of us have made friends we'll have for the rest of our lives.

The second thing I should have mentioned (and perhaps I'll edit that post to include these when I'm not traveling) is that Tyll was the first to convince me that USB DACs had a strong future in hi-fi. I was still spinning discs, and was reluctant to switch to USB DACs due to some pretty bad experiences with some of the earlier USB DACs. (There were some really bad ones at the start of it all.) Tyll was still with HeadRoom and visited Head-Fi HQ on his way out east to show us HeadRoom's new USB DAC. We hooked it up, and I was sold. That was the first good USB DAC I'd personally heard, and began my personal move toward computer audio. (Of course, like most of you, it's very rare that I spin discs anymore.)

May 14, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #79 of 306
I can't mention meets without mentioning another zany Tyll venture that turned out to be very important. This goes back to the very early days of Head-Fi, back in 2002. Tyll decided (with his company HeadRoom) to do something called "The World Of Headphones Tour..."

Here's the Chicago stop - immortalized in the archives of SoundStage - https://www.soundstage.com/traveler/traveler200201.htm

May 14, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #80 of 306
I'll miss your insights, Tyll. Your home on wheels is cool and daring idea (better get that shower in there soon!). Burning question for me: What about your cute little Schipperke??

May 14, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #81 of 306
Congratulations Tyll. Never forget when you made the journey (with your daughter) to the meet at my house. You made it a very special meet, it was a thrill for us in Northern CA to meet you and see all of the new stuff that Headroom was developing. Dare I say that you were a trailblazer to this hobby, be proud my friend.

May 14, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #82 of 306
Thank you Tyll for all your contributions. I'm going to miss your Wall Of Fame selections. Salute and Safe Travels! I hope to meet you one day in Dallas.

May 14, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #83 of 306
I was really bummed out when I learned about this. Talking to people today I see that I'm not alone.

Tyll, your work meant a lot to many of us even if you didn't know it.

I guess now's the time for someone else to step up and carry the torch. The problem is that it's a mighty heavy torch...

May 14, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #84 of 306
Oh, and by the way, just so people can feel all is right in the world, Jason Lord at The Source AV saw the thread here and gave me a call:

"Hi Tyll, exciting times, eh?"

"Yeah man, I hardly know what to do with myself."

"I hear you're not bringing Clears with you."

"Nah, just don't want to drop the dime. I'm good with what I've got" (Solo3, QC35, AFO, AFC)

"But you'd like to have Clears with you?"

"Oh yeah, sure, they're awesome."

"All righty, brother, they're on the way."

"Aww, man...really?"

"Dude, you deserve it. No problemo."

"Thanks, Jason. Really, thanks."

Really, thanks, Jason.

Edit: D'oh! Jason snuck in as I was typing!

Thanks, man!

Can you tell him i'll be traveling with you too :wink:

May 14, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #87 of 306
Thank you Tyll!! Wishing you all the best for many trips around earth.

May 14, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #90 of 306
I have been an avid reader of Tyll's articles, sometimes a bit to technical for me to grasp but I read through them nevertheless as his writing style made them easier to read. Amongst all the audio writers that I read, I respected & trusted his opinion the most. I did not agree with him sometimes but I always understood his point of view. Good Luck Tyll & Thank You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back