A headphone tribute goodbye to Tyll from Innerfidelity
May 13, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #46 of 306
Tyll, good on yer,going out on your own terms. That takes balls.
Kudos on Putts wiring,that's ABYC standards.
If you ever find yourself in South Florida, drop me a line. I'd be delighted to take you fishing in the Glades/10K Islands. Everglades City,Flamingo chasing tarpon,snook,reds etc.in a maze of mangrove islands.
Also,you need to enter the Hemingway contest in Key West- you have the look and the chops to win going away. If your liver is capable!
Congrats on going out a winner.

May 13, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #47 of 306
Have a great retirement Tyll you'll definitely be missed..

May 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #48 of 306
Mm...Innerfidelity was one of my definitive headphones resource when I started this hobby in 2013. Helped me a lot in learning all things headphones.

Just the same, many thanks and Happy Retirement, Tyll. You will be sorely missed.

From an admirer from afar........

P.S. Please write a book about your headphone journey. I ll buy it.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #49 of 306
Going to miss Tyll (big shoes for the next person to try and fill!) and I should thank him for all of his insights. A great source of information and tips that helped me while starting out building my collection.

I hope his retirement is pleasant and he gets to enjoy it a good long while.

May 14, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #51 of 306
An Original In Every Way: Farewell, Tyll!

I don’t meet too many people who’ve been into headphone audio longer than me, but Tyll is certainly one of them. Before there was a Head-Fi.org (founded in 2001), I was one of many customers of Tyll’s company HeadRoom Corporation — which, for those of you who don’t know, was the first online retailer of premium headphones that I can recall, as well as the first real dedicated manufacturer of audiophile headphone amplifiers that I can recall.

Before I started Head-Fi, I was a community member of the original headphone audio forum HeadWize. In 2001, shortly before I started Head-Fi, Tyll and HeadRoom organized a contest on HeadWize with four awesome prizes available. I rarely enter contests, but I was determined to win what I could from that one. I ended up winning three of the four prizes: A Sennheiser HD600, a HeadRoom Total AirHead (portable headphone amp), and a HeadRoom Max (then their flagship headphone amplifier, and what was arguably the best headphone amp of the time, period). Did the enthusiasm that grew from enjoying those prizes (all of which we still have) play any part in eventually starting Head-Fi? It’s hard to say when you try to put it all together this many years later, but I think so.

While at HeadRoom, Tyll was the first to make laboratory-grade headphone measurements a consumer-facing thing. That tradition continued when he started InnerFidelity, his headphone measurements forever redefining how headphones would be viewed and reviewed. Would we have a world-class audio measurement lab here at Head-Fi HQ today if Tyll had never started with consumer-facing lab-grade measurements with HeadRoom and eventually InnerFidelity? No.

Some years later, Tyll (still the head of HeadRoom Corporation) worked with the Head-Fi community members in New York to organize the 2006 New York National Head-Fi Meet, which was the first meet this community had seen beyond a regional level. That New York event started a community tradition of annual events around the country that grew, expanded, and morphed into what CanJam is today.

Anyone who knows Tyll knows he’s a true eccentric. There is a streak of crazy that runs through the very core of him — the type of crazy that leads to the derring-do that has made a litany of firsts part of his huge legacy in our headphone world, in addition to the obvious influence of his reviews and commentary.

He’s been hinting to us for some time how he’d retire. He told many of us at the last CanJam SoCal the time had come, so his announcement the other day wasn’t at all a surprise. Nevertheless, when it actually happened, it still felt shocking.

This way you’re retiring, Tyll…it’s pure 100% you. May the road ahead be kind and generous to you (and Putt).

Thank you for everything, Mr. Hertsens.

May 14, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #52 of 306
Didn't get to meet you Tyll at the all CanJam's I've been involved in London, but is always a pleasure to watch your videos. Shame you didn't get to review MrSpeakers Voce and the Realiser A16.
If you ever come to London, I will like to buy you few beers, even if I don't drink alcohol.
Levi

May 14, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #54 of 306
I’ve long-admired Tyll and his dedication to proper measurements. They’ve helped in many purchase decisions.

I think the lesson we can take out of his retirement is that convenience and comfort are just as important as sound quality in headphones.

May 14, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #55 of 306
I wondered why he didn't answer my last email as he usually did impressively promptly!
Well that's probably the best excuse in the world haha.
Thanks for all the great info, neutral reviews and keeping integrity in a market that could have easily corrupt you.
I use to have a live in RV as well, it's pure freedom. enjoy ~~~

May 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #56 of 306
Even great people must step away and I'm so honoured to be friends with Tyll. Over the years we've had fun, conducted experiments, and managed to not take life too seriously. Part of me feels saddened by the news because Tyll contributed so much from his soul to our cause. He is a trusting gentleman who is always willing to go out of his way to help and contribute. In this way he will be missed.

Moving on I hope we all band closer together and keep the headphone / audio community vibrant. I view Tyll's stepping down as a call to all of us to now step up and fill some amazing shoes. Keep each other honest, without being harsh or condescending, and lift each other up.

From the bottom of my heart I truly wish Tyll safe and peaceful travels. Your contributions to those around you will not be forgotten or taken for granted.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #57 of 306
Listen to what he says again. He's not buying them because he enjoys how they sound the most, it's because realistically functionality/convenience can be a big factor. If you respect the man so much pay attention to his parting half an hour.

He also called the Solo2/3 “excellent” and the sound “absolutely terrific” in his review.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #59 of 306
He talked about how his composting toilet does a good job separating the piss from the crap but anyone on a mission to hit all the taco stands from Baja to Patagonia should be made aware that those two distinct forms of byproduct are actually the exception to the 'norm' :wink:

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #60 of 306
It was Tyll and his passion for this hobby that set me down this road to madness. His world of headphones tours and support of local meets made it possible for so many of us to be exposed to really great gear. I can recall at least four times when he made it to one of our meets, more often than not in one of his trademark Hawaiian shirts. He never failed to make an impression because he was one of us. He started down this road as a lover of music, experimenting with better portable and lug-able headphone amps to take with him as he traveled in his pre-HeadRoom days. As far as the hobby has come, I often think about the good old days. Thanks Tyll for all you have done. Enjoy retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back