A headphone tribute goodbye to Tyll from Innerfidelity
May 13, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #32 of 306
It's still funny that one of the most respected headphones guys in the biz is riding off into the sunset with two of the most criticized headphones on Headfi. Whatever his reasons for having them, it's still funny and awesome.

Also, the bit in the video where he mentions the price of headphones getting out of hand. "Keep the prices down, for god sake" - those were his most memorable parting words. I don't always agree 100% with his verdicts in his reviews, but this hits the nail on the head. Headphone pricing right now is just completely out of control. But anyways...

Enjoy your retirement my friend, that re purposed FedEx truck looks like it's going to be a real adventure.

It's a head-scratcher. How does someone who spends 25 years being an important member of this community end up with the set of headphones he ended up with? It's either sad that he doesn't have what he'd like to have, for whatever reason, or he's really burnt out, and even that barely makes sense. I really don't get it to be honest. Perhaps this whole headphone thing is kind of...

May 13, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #33 of 306
giphy.gif

May 13, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #35 of 306
It's a head-scratcher. How does someone who spends 25 years being an important member of this community end up with the set of headphones he ended up with? It's either sad that he doesn't have what he'd like to have, for whatever reason, or he's really burnt out, and even that barely makes sense. I really don't get it to be honest. Perhaps this whole headphone thing is kind of...
He's moving on. Not that hard to figure out. New season in life for him and space is limited.

Bern

May 13, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #36 of 306
It's always sad to see someone of the old guard move on. Your approach to analysis and describing the various aspects of sound I always admired, and perhaps most of all how consistent you were. The community is losing a much loved and valued member. Thanks for everything Tyll, cheers <3
a_toast.gif

May 13, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #37 of 306

The answer is not difficult. You will soon figure it out listening to music is completely different from listening to/comparing different gears.

May 13, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #38 of 306
It's a head-scratcher. How does someone who spends 25 years being an important member of this community end up with the set of headphones he ended up with?

Because they're good. They do sound good too given the need for the functionality I need.

May 13, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #39 of 306
Because they're good. They do sound good too given the need for the functionality I need.

Spot on! I wonder if psychoacoustics has anything to do with it, given that headphones in general are better now -- I find that most of my headphones sound "good" to me, even though they sound different and definitely each has weaknesses / strengths, but it seems like my brain has "profiles" already for each and simply adjusts so that I can extract the pleasure of listening from each.

Also, maybe we'll get more of your short responses on Head-Fi now that you no longer have to represent industry, and you're more just a headphone enthusiast again (who am I kidding, you're still more than that... :p )

May 13, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #41 of 306
Dude, you're one of the people who should know what everything sounds like. Good shouldn't be good enough for you, best should be. I don't get it.

I don't buy it... in the end, it's about the music, about the content, and I enjoy my music on a wide variety of headphones, some of which are very much obviously technically inferior to others, but which fit the use case far better.

May 13, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #44 of 306
Tyll, I vastly enjoyed your reviews since I bought hd800s 2 years ago. It was hard to find a reviewer like you who I can easily agree with. And without a trustable reviewer, I am unsure whether my enthusiasm remains intact. But you earned it. Enjoy your life in the new direction, and hope I see you here and there from time to time.

May 13, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #45 of 306
I agree with @Tyll Hertsens!

...if I could only have one of the headphones that I have ever owned, heard, or heard of, it would be the AEON C's. For me, they are exactly neutral and excel in every aspect. Now, I don't want to come off like I am exaggerating. There are headphones that do specific things better or that have a different flavor that I like as much, but these are by far the best all-rounder, everyday headphone and by far the most comfortable. Because of their exceptional isolation, they also have a very high Wife Acceptance Factor. (In fact, my wife will often bring the AEON C to me and demand that I listen to them instead of whatever open headphones I'm listening to.) Of course, that is only my opinion.

So long, Tyll! And thanks for all the reviews!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back