A Head-Fi Prize for pseudo-scientific technobable :)
Sep 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sensible to a marketing which is well done. You know, Bose-style "better products through research" or how was that exactly. Therefore, I would tend not to let those wonderful marketing essays about the super-duper technology used in building an extra-uber-super-duper product (which, by coincidence, is also super-extra-duper-etc-expensive!), without a proper reward.

What about establishing a Prize for the best "technobable"... a prize to be given annually.

For example, I'm ready to offer to the first winner a 1/4 headphone jack which I will convince, by hypnotic means, to transmit unaltered frequencies up to 1GHz - so that the future owner won't have to worry about any skin effect of non-cryogenic treated materials. His only concern would be to get a cable whose properties would be modified in a similar way - to fit The Jack. And that cable... well... that cable... let's say that it will be made available at a reasonable price ("reasonable" considering, of course, the high-quality hypnosis involved in the transformation process, and hypnosis isn't exactly cheap nowadays).

OK.

I will submit to your kind attention the impressive explanation of the electrical skin effect, to be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/s...bering-443671/

Can you find better? Not easy, but still possible. Do your best!

Happy hunting
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 34
You are right, greenhorn.

Sometimes it is better to laugh than to cry...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 34
Lots of crazy stuff can be found in our team's forums.

see my sig
|
v

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, do you have an issue w/ the vendor? I ask because this is your second thread on this issue. BTW, the vendor publicly apologized in writing for his mistake.

This thread is NOT on a particular vendor.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 34
@OP: Does this have to be found strictly on head-fi or anywhere on the internet?

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@OP: Does this have to be found strictly on head-fi or anywhere on the internet?

Strictly on head-fi.

Because, as everybody knows, one can't always believe what is written on the internet
icon10.gif

Just joking - any entry is cool.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strictly on head-fi.

Because, as everybody knows, one can't always believe what is written on the internet
icon10.gif

Hahahaha, thanks for that one.

You got my vote to give Patrick the first prize.
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 34
xnor, but the "snake oil team" is the most fantastic thing ever, I didn't know it exists, I'm just a humble amateur, your team has already done all the work!

I'll gladly ship The Jack to Patrick, since the majority decided this (well, I would need his address), but IMHO your team has much better examples to offer!

Just one of them (I'm in full process of discovering right now
smily_headphones1.gif
):

Silver Rock Signature Knob: Reference Audio Mods

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 34
Now that we've been given clearance to go off the reservation, let me introduce you all to the granddaddy of audio snake oil, Peter W. Belt

Belt's been at this for over 20 years now (I first encountered him back in the 1980s).

Just a sample:

Each individual human had a fundamental adverse problem imposed on their senses when they had their first photograph taken. A photographic image captures the unique identity of the subject of the photograph but imposes a significant temporal (time) asymmetrical pattern. The action of this photograph radically changed the inner symmetry of the senses of the photographed human being. Fortunately, this debilitating adverse condition is reversible.

To restore a significant temporal (time) symmetry to any person's senses, it is necessary to acquire one photograph which was exposed when the person was young and another photograph exposed when the person was older. Each photograph is placed, individually, into it's own clear plastic bag. The two plastic bags, each containing a spaced time photograph of the same individual, should be placed inside the freezer compartment of the domestic refrigerator. This will create a most unusual beneficial phenomenon. After placing the two separate photographs within the freezer compartment, either live or recorded music should be played within the listening room. A significant improvement to the musical sound should have taken place. Removing the photographs from the freezer compartment should produce an immediate adverse response if the music is played again. Replacing the two photographs within the freezer compartment will immediately restore the beneficial improvement in the sound.

k

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 34
Those little insulators that hold cables off the ground were always a good laugh. My favourite I have seen here (apart from the mind blowing examples above) is the cable burn in device (I can't remember what it's called).

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
xnor, but the "snake oil team" is the most fantastic thing ever, I didn't know it exists, I'm just a humble amateur, your team has already done all the work!

I'll gladly ship The Jack to Patrick, since the majority decided this (well, I would need his address), but IMHO your team has much better examples to offer!

Just one of them (I'm in full process of discovering right now
smily_headphones1.gif
):

Silver Rock Signature Knob: Reference Audio Mods

I've heard about them. Someone once said that they modified a Denon DVD-3930 so heavily that they turned it into an Esoteric DV-50S when they were done.
wink.gif

Personally I always thought the Sonic Rock was pretty cool.

--Jerome

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 34
the problem though, is that every manufacturer from anywhere in the world (including the likes of BOSE and Sennheiser or Ultrasone) has a specific market whom they cater to. That means, that market will listen to their marketing. We forget that anyone who wants to sell has to do it.

Whether BOSE rubs us the wrong way or not isn't the problem, it is that we simply ignore that certain companies participate in the same marketing mechanics (just that we are not adverse to their specific campaigns).

So, if Patrick is up to the marketing of certain companies, he is no worse off than we are in other areas. Perhaps, however, the areas of our weakness don't have to do with audio, or perhaps they have to do with sceptical audio practices... don't know.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... he is no worse off than we are in other areas...

Can't remember buying socks for over $700 or anything else thats 250x overpriced. (compared to the price of other products in the same category)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back