A Head-fi headphone loaner programme
Apr 8, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #91 of 103
Now that I've time to reflect on this idea throughout the day I just want voice my opinion on it fully.

1) This is a good idea with great potential, but it has to have a solid foundation to succeed. This solid foundation includes a "well oiled" and functioning system with very clear and precise rules and regulations including:
Who gets to take part?, shipping rules?.. What happens if a pair is damaged ../ goes missing??

2) I think any program like this should be run in a "foundation" type setup , where a couple of well respected Head-Fi members volunteer their time to the project headed by a chairman (zanth ?).

3) The board should be responsible for vetting potential participants based on both an objective points system including variables such as tenure at Head-Fi/post count/ amount of positive Feedback etc as well as more subjective personal assessment ie: phone interview..../reputation in the community.

4) The sr60's are a good way to test the waters to see if it works, then more people/manufacturers might want to volunteer/donate their more expensive headphones to the foundation .

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #92 of 103
Things are settling down on my end after a hellish couple of weeks and I am finally back online. My plan is to start the programme June 1st. I'll be formulating the rules and starting a new thread in the coming days.

I think I will start with 2 pairs of SR60's and 2 pairs of GS-1000's. A dual set for Canada and the US. If it goes well, I'll start up another set in Europe likely starting in the UK where there seem to be quite a bit of head-fiers and then sending over to France and Germany.

Asia will have to wait a bit longer me thinks, but Japan would likely be my top choice to start there.

Apr 30, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #93 of 103
I remember this idea being kicked around a long time ago. I think it eventually morphed into the CD exchange - cheaper and less tears if it didn't work. Sorry you had two bad experiences with it. I've had nothing but smiles both times I participated.

As to your proposed program, I think it's excellent. I don't know if there's a "you've been here too long, buy your own phones" clause, but if not, I'd love to hear some SR60s. Been wanting to get some 225s ever since I got into this nonsense, but was always afraid I wouldn't like the Grado sound, since I loved Senns. Might be enough to push me over the edge.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it goes well, I'll start up another set in Europe likely starting in the UK where there seem to be quite a bit of head-fiers and then sending over to France and Germany.

Please don't forget Spain
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #95 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to your proposed program, I think it's excellent. I don't know if there's a "you've been here too long, buy your own phones" clause, but if not, I'd love to hear some SR60s. Been wanting to get some 225s ever since I got into this nonsense, but was always afraid I wouldn't like the Grado sound, since I loved Senns. Might be enough to push me over the edge.

There is certainly no clause and in fact, your history as a user is particularly who this is targetted towards. Folks who have been here awhile, but haven't tried a certain brand or model of headphone and would like to take them for a spin without committing anything but a few bucks for shipping.

This will of course help out newbies too, but being a newbie means no posting history etc and that makes it difficult on the trust factor at first. But I'll work through those kinks so that the program reaches out to as many people as possible.

The reason I am choosing SR60's and GS-1000's is because the SR60's are often claimed to be the best entry level phone and it is priced where most people can readily jump into this hobby with both feet. It is also a great way to be introduced to the house sound of a company, in this case Grado. The GS-1000's on the other hand are likely out of reach of many and perhaps due to the higher price, those that can afford it but can't try it first, might be reluctant to plunk down the cash for a demo-trial experience from TTVJ or Headroom, so this way they get to hear the top of the line from an established company.

Eventually it would be wonderful to have a set of each model floating around. If things do run smoothly for a while I'll likely introduce the SR225's and RS-1's next and then fan work my way to the other models before moving on to another company. Ideally, if over a year or so this is a success, perhaps the companies themselves would be willing to provide demo pairs for the program.

May 5, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #101 of 103
I still like the idea of having ONE of the prerequisites for being allowed to demo the loaner phones is having to be a head-fi donator. I think it shows some commitment to head-fi. And it will make it so that if some one does try to steal a pair of sr-60s, at least the head-fi community wont get completely screwed. If there are 50 people on the sr-60 waiting list who have all donated $20 to head-fi just so that they could get on that list, then what a way for head-fi to get a nice chunk of money - $1000! And maybe that money could be used to replace that sr-60?

Also, why two grado phones? Especially such an expensive phone like the GS-1000? I think you should try another company like Senn, that way people can try two "house" signature sounds. If you really want to do a more expensive phone - W5000 please?
tongue.gif
Also, if you did something cheaper like a Senn, then maybe it wouldn't be as hard for a member like myself to reach the requirements to be allowed to demo those headphones.

I was keeping up with this thread at first, but after awhile it seemed like it would be awhile before everything would be organized. So please forgive me if the prerequisites or whatever for being able to try these phones have already been finalized. Just wanted to show my interest and respect to Zanth for being so generous (with his money/time).

May 5, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #102 of 103
The reason for the Grados are two-fold:

1) I originally wanted to distribute 2 pairs of SR60's as a test run. They are cheap, easy to drive, sound good amped or not and will provide someone with a basic overview of what the Grado house sound is all about.

2) GS-1000's. Many were partially complaining that the SR60's though a nice gesture were not "high-end enough" to warrant the effort. They felt that those that would qualify for such a program would likely have already heard the SR60's or have something better. Since I didn't have the cash to offer something like this yet, a very generous Head-fier who wants to remain anonymous offered to contribute the funds for 2 GS-1000's. The top of the heap of Grados in order to aid the program and offer up something more tastey to those that felt the SR60's weren't up to the task.

Why two Grados then? I like sticking with my original plans. I think Grados are a great listen. Grado is an American company and we can easily send the phones back for repair if something happens. Doing so for AT's is going to be much more of a hassle. I'll consider other headphones as this programme progresses. But for now, SR60's and GS-1000's one set each for US and another for Canada. Then later if all is well, I'll set it up for Europe. I have more control in North America and it is easier for me to deal with people in North America if things go wrong.

May 6, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #103 of 103
^ Makes sense.

Good luck with the program. I think this is the start of something very significant for head-fi, like CanJam. And like CanJam, a headphone loaner program will allow members to get to know each other better and allow for businesses to show off their products (starting with grado). Maybe we will get something like a soon to be released Yuin OK1 from one of the suppliers like Head-Direct? It seems like Fang is always sending out products to be reviewed anyway...

Philimon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back