A Head-fi headphone loaner programme
Mar 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #76 of 103
See, that is just it, no one is entitled to anything. Eligibility though static in terms of requirements doesn't mean folks can't move towards those requirements. So it would mean a matter of time rather than missing out totally. This is in its most earliest stage; the goal overall is to have this turn into something massive with a full set of headphones roaming the earth, maybe a few sets.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the spirit of bringing everyone closer together and seeing this programme through, I have received a very generous offer to help with getting this system off the ground. The offer comes in the way of buying headphones. Though the member wants to remain anoymous, the offer will help balance out the programme early on. I will still start with SR60's because I think it is a safe bet, but now we may have the opporunity to have two sets of RS-1's out there and maybe even GS-1000's.

Because of this generous offer, something I could not have offered the programme for quite some time, there will need to be two lists (not unlike what Headroom had some years ago).

To be eligible to try out the SR60's the rules will be quite a bit less stringent. To try out the RS-1's or GS-1000's, we will have to be careful. This means member posts/feedback/word of mouth. It is not going to be a perfect system. People may meet most of the requirements but I might receive some private messages indicating the person is unreliable. I'll have to fish around for further information etc. Most will benefit, some will inevitably feel shafted. It is the nature of the internet and trust. The community has been burned by members both known and unknown.

To start by May 1st (I think this is doable) I will start making a list. The absolute minimum ruleset is as follows:

So, just to be clear, the only headphones guaranteed for the program, as of now, are SR-60's? You make mention of RS-1's, and GS-1000's; but I assume you'd use the SR-60's as a trial, in a sense, before loaning these more expensive models? Also, will there be any way to specifically select the model you wish to receive; i.e., create a separate program and separate signup for each Grado?

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #79 of 103
Right now I am guaranteeing the SR60's for the May start date, but there is a very very high probability that a pair of RS-1's or GS-1000's could be available for that time as well. As for which ones to choose from, absolutely, there is no sense in sending someone a pair of headphones they don't wish to listen to. There will be separate threads for each phone and as the programme progresses, if it is successful, I'll enquire about having a subforum created.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #80 of 103
Quote:

Right now I am guaranteeing the SR60's for the May start date, but there is a very very high probability that a pair of RS-1's or GS-1000's could be available for that time as well. As for which ones to choose from, absolutely, there is no sense in sending someone a pair of headphones they don't wish to listen to. There will be separate threads for each phone and as the programme progresses, if it is successful, I'll enquire about having a subforum created.

Sounds good; I'll be checking this thread regularly in anticipation of a GS-1000 loaner program.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #81 of 103
This is a great idea.

And as a completely unbiased observer, I think the US and Europe should get the SR60's and Canada gets the GS1000's
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a great idea.

And as a completely unbiased observer, I think the US and Europe should get the SR60's and Canada gets the GS1000's
biggrin.gif

Seconded.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #83 of 103
not a bad idea
wink.gif

I have been swamped at work lately with year end duties and figuring out my next contract, so I have not been online much. I am still thinking sometime in May to start or maybe June 1st would be best. I'll get on it more as the month moves along.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #84 of 103
Zanth. Very well thought out. What you posted is typically how things are handled through loaner programs. If you need more info, you can contact some various members on how things are handled. You can shoot me a PM if your curious on what those procedures typically are, as well as the people who I personally feel are other sources you should consider getting feedback from since they too also are on several loaner programs.

Your generosity is GREATLY appreciated I'm sure. Kudos!

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #85 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can shoot me a PM if your curious on what those procedures typically are, as well as the people who I personally feel are other sources you should consider getting feedback from since they too also are on several loaner programs.

Would your advice include selling gear that you've been loaned?

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need more info, you can contact some various members on how things are handled. You can shoot me a PM if your curious on what those procedures typically are...

OK Allen Funt you got me good there.
biggrin.gif
Where's the cameras?

And if this isn't Allen Funt it may be even funnier!

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #88 of 103
Well, I'll be careful. It will start off slowly and build. Hopefully the good will of folks will prevail over avarice. The idea is to help people listen to phones they have not heard, and I really want this to happen and grow into something substantial here at Head-fi. I myself would love to take part later on in the game if I can get manufacturers to donate. AKG 701's are interesting to me as are the myriad of Ultrazones.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #89 of 103
Ok I didnt read the whole thread but agree with two points:

1) There need to be some sort of deposit or reinforcement in order to prevent theft etc.

2) There should be some activity by the member in posts and community prescence.

As a relative newbie the latter point would be hard to judge. But here is what I suggest to solve both problems.

Anyone wishing to join the program would "donate" X amount of money to Zanth or whomever originates. This money would be used to buy the headphones in question and only refunded if the HP make it back to the originator. This would solely be on trust with the originator but the idea would be that with enough participants that there 'donation' would be amount no over what they are willing to lose. With higher cost items an additional retainer fee could be paid on back the line from sender to recipient in order to obtain your access privielages, similar to a lease deposit say.

Participation would be dependent on two things. Willingness to pay the donation and approval by all others in the program. The originator would be responsible for this. Objections to someones participation would forwarded to the originator. I would say that more than three objections would be cause for exclusion and of course a full refund.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #90 of 103
Quote:

Well, I'll be careful. It will start off slowly and build. Hopefully the good will of folks will prevail over avarice. The idea is to help people listen to phones they have not heard, and I really want this to happen and grow into something substantial here at Head-fi.

you have a dream to populate the world with audiophile quality headphones. it's one worth pursuing.

good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back