A Head-fi headphone loaner programme
Mar 3, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #61 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think then the list cannot be a first-come-first-serve basis, but rather a geographical location based list. Would make sense to have a deadline for apply to the list too, to prevent people from jumping in to the list while the cans are already out on loan to someone.

Unfortunately that doesn't make sense because this programme is intended to go on forever.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #62 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the worst position is going to be for the person who gets the overseas delivery

There won't be any "overseas" delivery. There will be two simultaneous sets of headphones. One for North America, one for Europe. I eat the costs of shipping to the first person. No one else has to deal with that.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #63 of 103
I'll be closely monitoring when the list starts then. I have heard the RS1 has good synergy with the LISA oddly enough.

I like the idea of having it geographically managed. I am thinking that the focus is to let people get a taste of the headphones without investing as much money and not to get bragging rights about who is first. Going to the larger populated geographical regions lets more people try it in quick succession with less investment on shipping and protects the goods more effectively with a local persuasion. The deadline will definitely help towards this and possibly weed out those who might procrastinate on shipping forward or replying with details. I hope everyone who applies has proven to have access to a working digital camera to eliminate an excuse (perhaps a picture of themselves with a sign requesting to be a part of the program?).

I don't think we will get to the point of requiring anyone to submit a background check to see if they have something like fraud on their record (I have one though since I use it to be allowed to observe at schools), however, I would think someone would have to vouch for them in one way or another, especially if feedback isn't great enough. What people do in a money transaction may not be the same on a loaner program which isn't as quickly completed and harder to monitor. If a pair of phones were to be damaged or lost in shipping, whatever donations we can scrounge up as a group could go to continue the program through completion.

Lastly, I want to thank the anonymous donator of phones, whomever you are. Truly a chivalrous action that will benefit many when the dream becomes a reality.

EDIT: Since the program plans to go on forever, maybe a deadline should be set for each list in general so that the order of succesion to the next can be planned. That would help to avoid confusion give those helping to run the program enough time to decide and organize the participants.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #64 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There won't be any "overseas" delivery. There will be two simultaneous sets of headphones. One for North America, one for Europe. I eat the costs of shipping to the first person. No one else has to deal with that.

i was thinking uk to europe,

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #65 of 103
Quote:

i was thinking uk to europe,

Over on this side of the pond, we usually think of UK as part of Europe
wink.gif
I suppose it might cost someone a bit extra to ship to France for instance, but I don't think it will cost all that much more than say someone in LA shipping to me in Ottawa. In fact, I'd wager quite a bit less.

If shipping costs are a concern, best not sign up. This programme is meant for folks who don't want to "buy and try" to "borrow and try." If one has the opportunity to hear $1000 USD headphones for 25 quid...isn't that worth it? To many it would be. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head. If they don't want to pay the shipping then they don't need to be part of the programme. This is not meant as a stab at anyone, but just the reality of the situation. It is what it is.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #67 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to give the RS1's a try, If I am eligible.

How's it going to work, Do we PM you with the details or will you be opening a new thread ?

I'll open a new thread for those that want to sign up and I would ask that people pm me with their information which I will keep privately. I will only pass on the info to the person who would be shipping the phones.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #68 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over on this side of the pond, we usually think of UK as part of Europe
wink.gif
I suppose it might cost someone a bit extra to ship to France for instance, but I don't think it will cost all that much more than say someone in LA shipping to me in Ottawa. In fact, I'd wager quite a bit less.

If shipping costs are a concern, best not sign up. This programme is meant for folks who don't want to "buy and try" to "borrow and try." If one has the opportunity to hear $1000 USD headphones for 25 quid...isn't that worth it? To many it would be. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head. If they don't want to pay the shipping then they don't need to be part of the programme. This is not meant as a stab at anyone, but just the reality of the situation. It is what it is.

oh yeah its worth it for rs1 and those level phones definitly! not so for ones at the sr80 level

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #69 of 103
Quote:

oh yeah its worth it for rs1 and those level phones definitly! not so for ones at the sr80 level

I understand that. This is why I am hoping to start out with the SR60's and perhaps the RS-1's or GS-1000's. They will be the most popular no doubt. Those that are looking for a great budget phone and those taht want to hear a high-end Grado but can't or won't afford it without hearing.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #73 of 103
Ah the RS1, one of the few that I missed out on trying in the Bay Area meet last year. I shall want to get my hands on those
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like you have a clear cut idea on expectations and rules and the response and suggestions looks good as well. Hope it all works out. Is there going to be a seperate section for this or is it going to just be a thread in the Lounge?

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #74 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah the RS1, one of the few that I missed out on trying in the Bay Area meet last year. I shall want to get my hands on those
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like you have a clear cut idea on expectations and rules and the response and suggestions looks good as well. Hope it all works out. Is there going to be a seperate section for this or is it going to just be a thread in the Lounge?

We'll keep it as a thread for now (a new one I will start later) and I'll sticky the thread for a time. If the programme goes really well and we can rev it up to something consistent, I'll ask Jude about a subforum somewhere, but I can't see that being any time soon. First things first. I need to work out eligibility criteria and get the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back