A good nearfield (2.0/2.1) speaker set-up? (I already have a Creative Titanium HD)
Nov 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:
Cables, um prob around $150 for the speakers (maybe a bit more), and same with the Receiver.

I'm not in the camp that all speaker wire and cables sound the same, but I do think it provides the least amount of impact on the sound of your system. 

On the other hand, a lot of people cheap out on the sub, and there are definitely differences in subwoofer quality. So unless you are already planning on spending $500 or more for a good sealed sub that matches the quality of those speakers and that receiver, I'd shift a lot of that cable budget toward the subwoofer. It'll provide a much greater impact on the SQ of your setup. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #17 of 57
In the matter of cables: What are your connections going to be/ what do you feel is necessary v. preferred? But in all reality, the cost to sound quality ratio that will be provided by cables is much less than other areas of the set-up. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 57
I'm not in the camp that all speaker wire and cables sound the same, but I do think it provides the least amount of impact on the sound of your system. 

On the other hand, a lot of people cheap out on the sub, and there are definitely differences in sub woofer quality. So unless you are already planning on spending $500 or more for a good sealed sub that matches the quality of those speakers and that receiver, I'd shift a lot of that cable budget toward the sub woofer. It'll provide a much greater impact on the SQ of your setup. 

Yeah, I wan't a great Sub first, but it will be mid/late next year (The horrible lack of money 8th grader has to put up with :p)

And Cables would be later, after I have what I really want, and probably save up for silver cables - I don't know what connection type I want yet, what would you pick? (I might even get an AudioGD nfb1.32 before then :p)

EDIT: and probably a good vinyl player after the DAC

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:
(The horrible lack of money 8th grader has to put up with
tongue.gif
)

Yeah. My 7th grade son is getting audio equipment for Xmas 
wink.gif

He doesn't read this forum yet, so I can say that. 

Yeah, I wan't a great Sub first, but it will be mid/late next year (The horrible lack of money 8th grader has to put up with 
tongue.gif
)
And Cables would be later, after I have what I really want, and probably save up for silver cables - I don't know what connection type I want yet, what would you pick? (I might even get an AudioGD nfb1.32 before then :p)
EDIT: and probably a good vinyl player after the DAC

You can get good build quality cheap cables from Monoprice.com to use until you get all the other components, then upgrade your cables if you aren't ready to upgrade your speakers or headphones by then. (lol)

I just run cables from Blue Jean Cable. Not terribly expensive. I'd rather upgrade other components instead. 

Vinyl. Now that's an expensive hobby to get into 
smile.gif

When you get serious about getting a sub, come hang out with us over at the AVS subwoofer forum. Best place to research subs, find the deals, and ask questions about what suits your needs. Very serious home audio subwoofer enthusiasts. For example, one of the members made this cool video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlpqBoQ1hoQ

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 57
Thanks for the link to AVS, I've been on there to look at TVs (Even more money spent, as well as my expensive PC building hobby :p)

EDIT: That vid is CRAZY!!! Think about if they had the insane 8,000 watts going to them! That would be a VERY expensive monoblock!

Also, I get cables from monoprice too, they are really good, fantastic for the price.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #21 of 57
Someone offered me a pair of NHT M-00's for $350, how do they compare to the Kef's?

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #22 of 57
Those are powered mini monitors with smaller drivers. So would be more comparable in performance to similar sized powered monitors than larger passive speakers like the Kefs. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #23 of 57
I decided to pass on them, the Kef's look soooo good, how do they sound (Warm/Cold/Fun/Lush)?

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #24 of 57
is there any particular reason you're set on a passive setup?  for $600, you can get some seriously nice active monitors (especially since you're focused on the near-field)

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 57
is there any particular reason you're set on a passive setup?  for $600, you can get some seriously nice active monitors (especially since you're focused on the near-field)

Well, passive would be nice because later I could upgrade speakers and stuff while using the same receiver, or change the receiver later - and the receiver looks awesome (Also, it has a headphone-out).

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #26 of 57
My friend has the nhts he replaced his expensive audiophile systems with  them he also uses a nht subwoofer. I had Kefs dual conntrics a while back they were nice great soundstage.I use Krk V6 actives now that replaced my t-amp and tekton set up  ,Im happy much better sound and no cable mess , you just need XLR to rca converters because they only have xlr connections. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #27 of 57
Oh, and a onetime $600 deal is wayyyy too much, my dad's gonna get irritated with me spending $350 on a speaker, so that's why I can't get active speakers, as well as I don't need the absolute best for the price (But I want something close to there), if I did, I'd be looking at $150 actives :p

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #28 of 57
What would I do for speaker stands?

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:
Oh, and a onetime $600 deal is wayyyy too much, my dad's gonna get irritated with me spending $350 on a speaker, so that's why I can't get active speakers, as well as I don't need the absolute best for the price (But I want something close to there), if I did, I'd be looking at $150 actives :p

You dont need to buy an amplifier with actives they have them built in.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #30 of 57
You dont need to buy an amplifier with actives they have them built in.

I mean spending $600 at one time, I'd buy the passives now, and the amp in a month or 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back