A good nearfield (2.0/2.1) speaker set-up? (I already have a Creative Titanium HD)
Nov 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

gopanthersgo1

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been setting up a good nearfield PC speaker set-up, and right now I have the Creative X-Fi titanium HD for the DAC, and am thinking of using an Harmon/Kardon 3390 as a receiver, and the Kef iQ30 as the speakers. I am looking for a warm sounding set up, with great mids. My budget for the speakers is around $350, and receiver is around $250. I plan on getting a sub later (undecided on which one), but don't want the sub to drown out the mids and highs.

EDIT: I'll also get good cables later, any recommendations?

Mark K.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 57
BUMP

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 57
I would recommend getting speakers with at least 5" drivers. Larger drivers generally give you better mid-bass. Even though the P4's claim a low end of 58hz, I wouldn't count on them to produce any significant bass. 

Or better yet, get 6" drivers if you have room for larger speakers. Something like the Kef iQ30

To hook up a sub, either

1) Split the analog out from the receiver to both the sub and Emotiva amp. You'll need a sub with left and right RCA inputs. Adjust the gain(volume) on the sub and the Emotiva amp volume to level match and integrate the two. Then use Windows to control the volume from there. 
2) Get a sub with speaker level inputs and outputs. Run the speaker out from the Emotiva amp to the sub, and then connect the speakers to the sub. You then integrate the sub by adjusting the gain (volume) on the sub. You can then either use the Emotiva amp or Windows to control the volume. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 57
Yeah, I have room for bigger speakers, and is there a better alternative to the Emotiva?

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot, thanks for the reply!

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 57
I use the HK 3390. It's full-sized stereo receiver with remote control, subwoofer line outs, AM/FM, multiple inputs if you want to hook up other audio equipment (including a turntable), and headphone jack. So for a little more than the Emotiva, you get a slightly more powerful receiver (probably not significant) with a pre-amp built in. If you have the room for it, it's definitely worth it because of how much more versatile it is. Even if you don't need the features now, you might want them in a few years. 

However, if you are into gaming and would like the option of upgrading to full surround, an entry level HT receiver can be a good choice. Most modern graphics cards have HDMI out with full audio. Plug it into an HT receiver, and you have the option of running 5.1 surround if you ever want to expand to that. Plus, HT receivers have bass management, which means you can select a crossover for the sub higher than the low end roll off of your speakers--there's a high pass filter built in to cut the speakers off at a higher frequency.  

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 57
Well, eventually I'm going to build a 5.1 (3-4 years), but that's in a different room than my PC. And the Harman/Kardon looks really good, I think I'll get that first (so I have an excuse for getting because of headphone :), and somehow make room for it :p

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 57
But the speakers seem like they're on a big sale...

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:
But the speakers seem like they're on a big sale...

Which speakers? The Kefs? Yeah. They came out with a new version of the iQ line about a year ago and are closing out the old line. So you get them really cheap direct from them. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 57
So which do I get first, the Kefs or the Receiver?

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 57
The Kefs may not last at that price because they may run out.

The HK 3390 has fluctuated around $250, but even as low as $200 (wouldn't count on that again). I think I got it for $225. For a while this year it was out of stock everywhere, and then came back. Here's the price change on Amazon (scroll down to the chart). 

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 57
The Kefs may not last at that price because they may run out.

The HK 3390 has fluctuated around $250, but even as low as $200 (wouldn't count on that again). I think I got it for $225. For a while this year it was out of stock everywhere, and then came back. Here's the price change on Amazon (scroll down to the chart). 

I think I'll get the Kefs first, I'm gonna go to bed now though, I have some more questions I'll ask you tomorrow.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 57
OK, so hopefully by Christmas I'll have enough money for the Kefs, then (somehow) I'll buy the Receiver.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 57
+1 for the Kef's

Don't get me wrong, dedicated near-fields are great sounding, but if you don't want the laser precise sound desktop/near-fields come with then book shelf is the way to go. 

And by the way, what budget are we talking for cables? One could easily spend in excess of 10 times your speaker/ receiver budget on cables alone. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 57
+1 for the Kef's

Don't get me wrong, dedicated near-fields are great sounding, but if you don't want the laser precise sound desktop/near-fields come with then book shelf is the way to go. 

And by the way, what budget are we talking for cables? One could easily spend in excess of 10 times your speaker/ receiver budget on cables alone. 

I didn't quite understand the bookshelf thing, sorry.
Cables, um prob around $150 for the speakers (maybe a bit more), and same with the Receiver.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 57
Well talking about bookshelf v. desktop, most desktops monitors (hyper-near-field effectively) have super directional tweeters, where when you get out of the very small sweet spot they lose sound quality.

No worries, Im supporting your choice in speakers fully. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back