A good mini-to-mini for portables?
Aug 22, 2008 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mteorman

Head-Fier
Currently I am using a mini-to-mini that came with a clock radio that had a line-in. I suspect I would be better served with something of higher quality, but of course I don't want to spend too much. I've heard that "boutique" cables aren't really worth the price - is this the general consensus?

I'm going to use the cable between the line-out of vintage PCDPs (i.e., the D-25 and the Optimus 3400) and a Predator. The Predator is a bit underwhelming at the moment (granted it's only at ~200 hours burn-in) - I want to make sure that the cable isn't "holding it back".

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 11
bump for the same question. I'm trying to find one to use with the filio amps

L3000.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 11
The mini-to-mini ICs that Headroom sells are nice, compact, lightweight and cheap.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mteorman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Predator is a bit underwhelming at the moment (granted it's only at ~200 hours burn-in) - I want to make sure that the cable isn't "holding it back".

It's pretty safe to say that the cable isn't holding it back. Unless there are noticeable cut-outs in the sound or something, I'd say no cable is going to make a difference, and even if you do believe there is one it won't be significant enough to transform the sound of your amp.

If you do want a mini-mini cable, the main consideration should be how long you want it and such. Headroom sells a 6" mini-mini from Cardas, I believe, that should do the job at that length. You might also want to check out some of the DIY cable makers that frequent these forums, as they can make something to your exact specifications, usually for quite reasonable prices.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 11
I noticed a difference when I went from a Rat Shack cable to the Cardas cable (from Headroom). I later bought an expensive silver cable which is a work of art (Wyvern Ag-8), but if I had it to do over again I think I'd have just stayed with the Cardas. It's "good enough." If you are into DIY stuff, I suppose it would be a fun project to build your own though.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also want to check out some of the DIY cable makers that frequent these forums, as they can make something to your exact specifications, usually for quite reasonable prices.

Try Randy at BrainSalad Audio -- his mini2mini's are very nice and flex perfectly. Fully customized. Straight or right-angle, the perfect length, etc. I have used him a lot.

Great guy -- I think Headroom sells some of his stuff, but to go direct just email him at

brainsalad@brainsaladaudio.com

He is a supporter of Head-Fi, and contributed the bulk of the merchandise for the NJ Meet raffle that raised money for the krmathis build and charity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back