A fun, overall great sounding IEM with great details, large soundstage, and precise instrument separation? $200 budget
Feb 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #76 of 85
Yea... IMO just for future reference once you get into the +150/200 mark you should focus more on instead of what sounds "best" and instead on what "type" of sound you want; aka: the sound signature.

It gets to the point where you'll be deciding which IEM to get depending on it sig.... how it handles certain types of songs due to it's frequency response and whatnot....

I love it; reading and learning about old and new phones on the market (and those soon to come) then reading reviews and comparisons that other head-fi'ers post. It gets me excited and keeps me coming back to this forum day after day after day
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #80 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoesNotQuiteFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif
I had this gut feeling I was being way too frugal (is that the right word?) after there were barely any recommendations.

TBH, I thought about it, and I really would be satisfied just with great quality/quantity bass, great instrument separation, a good sized soundstage, and good comfort. Let me bump my requirements down to that.

I think you might be better off going with a less expensive IEM, to get a feel for what aspects of the listening experience and what part of the frequency range is most important to you. You can always upgrade later, but maybe you won't need the "full package" because at this point, you don't know where you're willing to compromise.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #81 of 85
Actually, I have owned a pair of IEMs and a pair of portable headphones in the past, the Sennheiser CX400s and AKG K81DJs. I gave both away because I really want to make the jump into higher-end audio (plus the K81DJs hurt my head
biggrin.gif
). After my experience with both of those, those 3 things (great bass quality/quantity, good-sized soundstage, and precise separation) are what I really want (because they didn't have 'em!
icon10.gif
).

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #82 of 85
^ Judging from Joker's description the MTPG look like a good choice. But even the $110 HJE900 would fit your main requirements and be a big step up from the CX400s.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #83 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoesNotQuiteFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I have owned a pair of IEMs and a pair of portable headphones in the past, the Sennheiser CX400s and AKG K81DJs. I gave both away because I really want to make the jump into higher-end audio (plus the K81DJs hurt my head
biggrin.gif
). After my experience with both of those, those 3 things (great bass quality/quantity, good-sized soundstage, and precise separation) are what I really want (because they didn't have 'em!
icon10.gif
).

Sounds like an IE8 if you don't need isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back