A fun, overall great sounding IEM with great details, large soundstage, and precise instrument separation? $200 budget
Feb 21, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #46 of 85
Sage advice. Too many opinions, just buy and try. Always works.

Be sure to try the super tip (silicones stuff with gel). I had been using bi-flanges from another phone, but the small super tips are great for me after a second try.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #47 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sage advice. Too many opinions, just buy and try. Always works.

Be sure to try the super tip (silicones stuff with gel). I had been using bi-flanges from another phone, but the small super tips are great for me after a second try.

i tried fittin them on my RE0 haha but they seem super comfortable...how is the iso on these?

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is interesting. I found UM3X have narrow soundstage and less dynamics, but better balanced and sweet vocal, while TF10 pro got more fun factor like soundstage/ dynamic.

Well, the sound stage is smaller in the sense that you are perceptively closer to the sound. With the UM3X, you sound like you're right up on stage. With the Triple.Fi, you sound like you're back a little ways. The Triple.Fi 10 sounds bigger and more spacious because of this.

However, the UM3X has a bigger sound stage in the sense that the limit is farther. A crowd member whistling 100 feet away sounds like a crowd member whistling 100 feet away. The Triple.Fi 10 is bound into a virtual room space. It isn't infinite. That guy whistling is perceived much closer. You do get a good sense of size but it's a walled in size. Every sound is stuck into a virtual room and nothing exists outside of this room. Far away sounds are more projected on the walls of the room rather then off in the distance that they should exist at. The UM3X has no walls. For this, it could technically be said to be bigger. However, the more in your face presentation and tossing you right on stage makes it sound smaller by proximity. The singer is 1 foot from your face instead of 20 feet up on stage.

What you call bigger is up to you. From a general perspective, I would say the sound stage of the Triple.Fi 10 is bigger then the UM3X. But because it's walled in, I still see the Triple.Fi as limited and smaller in reach. It starts bigger but extends not very far. The UM3X starts close but extends forever.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #50 of 85
redface.gif
I almost forgot to mention, I'll be using these for movies and video games too (specifically shooters). Makes the whole soundstage/instrument separation (especially the latter) that much more important. Are the TF10s and MTPGs good for those? Maybe I actually should spring for the CK10s?

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the sound stage is smaller in the sense that you are perceptively closer to the sound. With the UM3X, you sound like you're right up on stage. With the Triple.Fi, you sound like you're back a little ways. The Triple.Fi 10 sounds bigger and more spacious because of this.

However, the UM3X has a bigger sound stage in the sense that the limit is farther. A crowd member whistling 100 feet away sounds like a crowd member whistling 100 feet away. The Triple.Fi 10 is bound into a virtual room space. It isn't infinite. That guy whistling is perceived much closer. You do get a good sense of size but it's a walled in size. Every sound is stuck into a virtual room and nothing exists outside of this room. Far away sounds are more projected on the walls of the room rather then off in the distance that they should exist at. The UM3X has no walls. For this, it could technically be said to be bigger. However, the more in your face presentation and tossing you right on stage makes it sound smaller by proximity. The singer is 1 foot from your face instead of 20 feet up on stage.

What you call bigger is up to you. From a general perspective, I would say the sound stage of the Triple.Fi 10 is bigger then the UM3X. But because it's walled in, I still see the Triple.Fi as limited and smaller in reach. It starts bigger but extends not very far. The UM3X starts close but extends forever.

I understand close presentation always makes perception of narrow soundstage and admit TF10 pro forms a virtual room for large soundstage, it may be hollow and not balance with vocal somehow.

No offense. I could not be more doubtful about your theory of extending forever and no wall of UM3X. Don't get me wrong, UM3x is one hell of IEM, amazing balanced, but your description would be more correct if it is for AK 701 fullsize headphone or E3x or UE11 pro, or even IE8, soundstage of UM3x is definitely intimate and a little crowded, not extend too far as well

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #52 of 85
Personally any IEM with decent soundstage is good for shooters. I play Counter-Strike frequently, and audio positioning is a critical component of gameplay. I haven't noticed enough of a difference between my IEMs and cans, aside from cheapies or Logitech headsets, to make the differences notable. There may be differences, but frankly nothing has affected my gameplay or changed enough for me to notice distict differences.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #53 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense. I could not be more doubtful about your theory of extending forever and no wall of UM3X. Don't get me wrong, UM3x is one hell of IEM, amazing balanced, but your description would be more correct if it is for AK 701 fullsize headphone or E3x or UE11 pro, or even IE8, soundstage of UM3x is definitely intimate and a little crowded, not extend too far as well

Agreed. I'm sorry but I find mvw2's explanation of the differences between the UM3X and the TF10 soundstages nonsensical. These "walls" that he perceives with the TF10 simply do not exist for me. When I listen to the TF10 I hear an IEM with a spacious soundstage. The UM3X on the other hand, had the most constricted soundstage of any IEM that I have heard.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #54 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoesNotQuiteFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif
I almost forgot to mention, I'll be using these for movies and video games too (specifically shooters). Makes the whole soundstage/instrument separation (especially the latter) that much more important. Are the TF10s and MTPGs good for those? Maybe I actually should spring for the CK10s?

For the same price, $200, I'd choose the CK10s over the MTPs. Problem is finding the CK10s for that price right now. And read the CK10 thread, for tip advice. Again, the tri-flanges work best for me, some trim off the smallest flange and get good bass as well. They have them on ebay for $15 for 3 pair, but they last forever.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #55 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by StereoIntegrity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried fittin them on my RE0 haha but they seem super comfortable...how is the iso on these?

For me, the small ones perfectly block out sound. But the ear canal shape is, as always, critical.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #56 of 85
ER4P/s sounds fitting for you. (esp for imaging/separation)

Might be a slight downer soundstage wise, but imo, I really can't tell much of a difference with the other top tier universals I've tried (I personally now don't bother with soundstage with IEMs, they are way too limited) . If the recording is wide, it will be wide.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #57 of 85
Seriously, when i read your requirements, i'm expecting a budget of $1k or so. That'd be easy to recommend something.
biggrin.gif

I'd recommend TF10. They're quite versatile, and i believe can be had for <$200 nowadays at amazon or ebay. Separation and clarity is good, but you won't get the large soundstage. The only IEMs i deem having large soundstage are SE530 and IE8, but neither fit your bill.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #58 of 85
Yeah, I heard the ER4s have some of the best imaging/separation, but I think I'll find them too light on bass. And I heard they were rather microphonic.

Other than the MTPG, what IEMs have great bass with good soundstage and precise imaging/separation?

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #59 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, when i read your requirements, i'm expecting a budget of $1k or so. That'd be easy to recommend something.
biggrin.gif

Hehe, I know. I'm not expecting to find any IEMs that can really do what I want, exactly. Just interested in which ones can meet all of my requirements best.

I was considering the TF10s, but they're rather big, I don't think I'll find them very comfortable, even with the flip-flop mod.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #60 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoesNotQuiteFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, I know. I'm not expecting to find any IEMs that can really do what I want, exactly. Just interested in which ones can meet all of my requirements best.

I was considering the TF10s, but they're rather big, I don't think I'll find them very comfortable, even with the flip-flop mod.

Yea fit is an issue with this IEM, i could tolerate that because i didn't use them for more than 1 hour at a time. For your case however...

There's also UM3x, fitting is as comfortable as any other westone IEM, but personally i'm not a fan of very warm sounds, less exciting so to speak. So if thats your cup of tea..

Other IEMs you can consider, which i've not heard but you can try looking around for impressions/reviews, are:
- Klipsch image x5
- monster turbine pro gold/copper

EDIT: Oh there's also the FX500, separation is definitely good, as well as more than enough bass. I'm just not very fond of the cables, 0.9m + 0.6m extension = where am i gonna stuff the extra 30cm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back