A Full Review: Ray Samuels Audio - The Protector
May 3, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #76 of 86
Listening to Jackson Browne's new CD, "Love is Strange", in the lossy format from a web site and using the balanced Protector out of my Mac I am amazed at how good the sound is. Excellent depth, dynamics and imaging and this is from a lossy format on the web. Great stuff!

May 25, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #77 of 86
Sorry if it's already in this thread, but I didn't have engough time to read it :p
I'm planning to buy the RSA protector amp. I want to use it with my Ipod touch (i have the DT 770 Beyerdynamic headphones).
My question is: will it sound better if i use the amp with my headphone and ipod if the music is lossy? Or does it only when it is lossless?

May 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #79 of 86

Quote:
Sorry if it's already in this thread, but I didn't have engough time to read it :p
I'm planning to buy the RSA protector amp. I want to use it with my Ipod touch (i have the DT 770 Beyerdynamic headphones).
My question is: will it sound better if i use the amp with my headphone and ipod if the music is lossy? Or does it only when it is lossless?

While lossless files will prove the best ultimate sound quality, my experience has been that my lossy file listening has improved with every upgrade I ever invested in.  I don't know why the Protector would be any different.

May 25, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #80 of 86

Quote:
While lossless files will prove the best ultimate sound quality, my expereince has been that my lossy file listening has improved with every upgrade I ever invested in.  I don't know why the Protector would be any different.

OK, thanks, now i know it's worthwhile buying it! :wink:

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #81 of 86
hi all, im from malayia and im always noob for the audiophile area. really sorry about my poor in english language.
frown.gif

this thread are related to the portable amp which produce by RSA. i've read almost review about this amp, and i understand about the sound but relating the sound to the typing expression here are very subjective. correct me if i'm wrong. as we all know, the amp function is to enhance/improve the sound. whatever branding u choose, the reason is '1', to improving the 'sounds'. but, NOT the entirely ie/hphone in the market out there are suit with any of branding amp right? there are too many factor related to produce a rich sound, such as cabling quality, driver of the ie itself, EQ config, sound card processing by our media player, and many other things (just google it). for the genre of music, im a big fan of Satriani & Andy Timmons. in my collection, the sound from the entire album are mostly 320kbps. its very near to the FLAC quality (base on my sounding experience). the guitar tone, effect, bass punching, widening instrument are the important aspect to me. CREDITS FOR THIS GREAT MUSICIAN!
beerchug.gif

in my country (Malaysia), the entirely gear especially headphone, ie, amp, are very expensive due to gov taxes. i dont really care of it as much as i can get whatever gears that i want. recently, i've got a new pair of shure SE530PTH and connected to the android phone (sensation xe) which have been upgraded the OS using a custom rom (guided from xdadevelopers). im concern about music and sounding but this phone did a very-very great sound with my pair of Shure's. no wonder because this phone are actually the 1st model that HTC launching with Beats (Monster) company and the the sound i expected are good enough. at the beginning, when i'm using the standard EQ from this phone, the sound from SE530 are very suck. really suck!. in my mind 'this is a great Shure's i ever had, but why?'. then, i've read some user experience in many forum, someone had told to used an application called 'Poweramp Pro' and i'm currently using this app untill now. the sound that produced by this app is bypass the current config from the standard HTC sound enhacement setting for beats audio. the sound are very details in many aspect such as the clarity of the treble, bass, virtuality soudstage (widening), and vokals. it's balance at all. as i know, every ie/hphone has the limitation but when we used the amplifier, it gives more variety of sounds that produce by the ie/headphone.in other word, it gives more energy improvement to that ie/hphones. in some cases, the amp are not really needed because when using the amp, it will give back a poor sounding. at this point, i really dont understand why. i need someone guide me to this issue. at now, i'm really enjoy my sound from my phone thru the SE530. love it damn much!

fyi, i'm getting this RSA model for enrich my sound experience. important question here, does this amp improve a lot with my shure or just a little bit? can i have a quick brief? ~ijustcangetenough...
L3000.gif

thanks all, once again, sorry for the bad english..

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #82 of 86
While there were a lot of great reviews of the Protector in 2010, there has been very little said about this well built device.......does that mean that there are better amp/dac units today and probably cheaper?  Did we move on and left the protector behind?  Since I am one that is looking for a semi portable setup, the protector and a Macbook Pro links like a great setup for ciems.....but is it. 

I maybe looking at yesterdays news...or maybe todays great find.  At nearly $500, I could buy a Fiio X5 with a E12a amp interconnect kit and be up to date and completely portable.  I welcome your thoughts

Henry

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #83 of 86
  While there were a lot of great reviews of the Protector in 2010, there has been very little said about this well built device.......does that mean that there are better amp/dac units today and probably cheaper?  Did we move on and left the protector behind?  Since I am one that is looking for a semi portable setup, the protector and a Macbook Pro links like a great setup for ciems.....but is it. 

I maybe looking at yesterdays news...or maybe todays great find.  At nearly $500, I could buy a Fiio X5 with a E12a amp interconnect kit and be up to date and completely portable.  I welcome your thoughts

Henry

Yeah I'm interested to find out too. Are there better amps out there already? The earlier posts are all from 2010 to 2012... my goodness.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #85 of 86
Ok, after using the Protector's balanced output with my DP X1, I would dare to say that

1. The resolution is definitely better than the dpx1's default balanced output.

2. The spatial imaging and transparency rivals that of the AK380's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back